Am I the only Habs fan that has had enough of Galchenyuk?

THE Bobby Orr

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Oh my. You lay into this kid constantly and now your pointing the finger. That's good!

Galchenyuk is my favourite player. He's just not competing even close to the way he can and should be.

Guy is one of the best talents in the league. I want no part of a trade, but I can guarantee Beregvin has had talks with Julien about what's going on right now with his player. 

:blink:

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It will be a good test of the organization, how it handles Galchenyuk. A smart, elite organization, with an eye on the longer term, would take the approach of patience, recognize his high ceiling, and continue to invest effort and work in getting the most out of him. A mediocre, unimaginative organization looking for quick fixes would trade him for an older player with a lower ceiling but a more 'complete game.' We'll see how it plays out. I would not be surprised at all if he's gone before training camp.

After last summer nothing will surprise me.  That said the best thing to do is to move forward with him.  He produces at center.  He may never be perfect defensively... but this team has two key characteristics.

1) the best goalie in the world.

2) not enough talent offensively and can get prone to dry spells in the scoring.

With that in mind the idea of trading a guy who is offensively productive because he has some defensive issues is madness.  Get me skill.  Everytime you score 3 goals in front of price, you are very, very likely to win the hockey game.  He covers up for some defensive issues 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Most reg season points by 23 or under

Kutcherov   234

Mononan     217

Mackinnon  206

Gaudreau    204

Galchenyuk 204

We are done here. 

But those guys back-check better :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Because there has been some focus on Chuck:

- Started Game 1 on the LW fourth line
- Started Game 2 on the LW fourth line
- Started Game 3 at C third line
- Started Game 4 at C third line
- Started Game 5 at C second line
- Started Game 6 at LW third line

He spent 5/6 games starting in the bottom six but still had three assists. 

Meanwhile, Danault was on the first line the entire series, glued to Pacioretty and Radulov, and only put up two assists (in game two and three). 

Am I excusing his performance? No, but until I see this team actually put faith in Galchenyuk, everything he does is going to have a big *

• Upvote 2

maybe its about "coachability" and/or lack thereof.  Even if you are a die-hard Chucky fan, you have to admit he seems lost out there when he doesn't have the puck.  After 4-5 years you would think he would have been coached the crap out of that weakness. I mean never mind Le Genius,  what about Muller?  and now CJ?  As Chris Nilan put it recently on his AM 690 stint - "he skates wit hiss legs widddde opin...he needs ta put his knees togeter and skate..." or something to that effect (close enough)...

I still don't get why he can't be a top line winger instead of a C...anyways its like beating a dead horse on both sides of the argument.  

I can't help but think of a situation in game 5 when he was on the PP; he made 3-4 bad plays in less than 45 seconds...patrons at Manoir brasserie were starting to get pissed (wanting him off the ice)...and then he got an assist and we all went nuts - his past faux-pas' were all but forgiven.!!!  But think about it from CJ's perspective (or even MT's, if you prefer) - it must to be frustrating as hell for a defense-first type coach like CJ to watch. Does he reward Chucky for the assist? -or- does he nail him for the 4 giveaways?  While i agree Galchenyuk has been screwed by "dumb and dumber", he still needs to shoulder some of the responsibility for his on-ice play (spare me the numbers). HE NEEDS to take responsibility for his game... and as of right now, he needs to look himself in the mirror and realize that he is the one making it hard on himself and his coaches...  Maybe i am wrong (and i sincerely hope i am) but I don't think #27 will ever be a #1 C in Montreal. That ship has sailed.       

Has the ship sailed to be the #1C? Maybe.

But that's the problem. This team doesn't have a #1 or #2 C. He's not even getting a shot now to be the second line centre. He's getting stuffed into the bottom six.

You don't like him as the top centre, due to defensive lapses and inconsistent shifts (or because he doesn't hit enough if you're one of those dorks) that's fine, but that doesn't mean he can't play second line centre. With Lehkonen and Gallagher playing well it made sense to put him between them. He got Lehkonen eventually but had Andrew Shaw as an anchor. 

This team has a gaping hole at centre and they have a 24 year old with the offensive ability to be a 60 point guy and instead go with Danault and Plekanec. And sometimes Shaw. It's inconceivable. Any other team would have kept Chuck at centre in the top six and rode it until it no longer worked. Therrien and Julien can't do that because bad defensive play is worse than anything in the world in their mind.

• Upvote 1

okay...let's put it another way.  Would you put Max at center?  why not?  we need a center, don;t we?  he's got size, he can score  ...the simple answer is that Max will never move to center because he isn't a center..simple answer, yes?  Well same applies to Galchenyuk. he simply is not a C.

I believe he can be a Phil Kessel-type player ...not sure CJ would like that though  

PS.  I am a dork...and yes for a 6'1" young stud he plays rather soft...then again the whole team does, except for Gally and Arturi...btw, Chucky can take a lesson or two from both Gally and Arturi.  

1 hour ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

okay...let's put it another way.  Would you put Max at center?  why not?  we need a center, don;t we?  he's got size, he can score  ...the simple answer is that Max will never move to center because he isn't a center..simple answer, yes?  Well same applies to Galchenyuk. he simply is not a C.

He plays best down the middle. He's a centre.

But maybe you're into something with Pacioretty. Maybe we should move him for a centre?

45 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He plays best down the middle. He's a centre.

But maybe you're into something with Pacioretty. Maybe we should move him for a centre?

i hope you're kidding...he is not good down the middle..  geez..come on MoLG??  Don't start with the numbers...his wingers are chasing the puck all game long.  and covering up for his bone-headed mistakes...Max won't play with him at center...its just too facking frustrating to chase pucks each and every game

5 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

i hope you're kidding...he is not good down the middle..  geez..come on MoLG??  Don't start with the numbers...his wingers are chasing the puck all game long.  and covering up for his bone-headed mistakes...Max won't play with him at center...its just too facking frustrating to chase pucks each and every game

The numbers? Like the numbers where he started scoring like a beast the second he was put at Centre full time and then stopped the second he was taken off? 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

The numbers? Like the numbers where he started scoring like a beast the second he was put at Centre full time and then stopped the second he was taken off? 

Sounds simple enough, not how it played out but.

13 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

maybe its about "coachability" and/or lack thereof.  Even if you are a die-hard Chucky fan, you have to admit he seems lost out there when he doesn't have the puck.  After 4-5 years you would think he would have been coached the crap out of that weakness. I mean never mind Le Genius,  what about Muller?  and now CJ?  As Chris Nilan put it recently on his AM 690 stint - "he skates wit hiss legs widddde opin...he needs ta put his knees togeter and skate..." or something to that effect (close enough)...

I still don't get why he can't be a top line winger instead of a C...anyways its like beating a dead horse on both sides of the argument.  

I can't help but think of a situation in game 5 when he was on the PP; he made 3-4 bad plays in less than 45 seconds...patrons at Manoir brasserie were starting to get pissed (wanting him off the ice)...and then he got an assist and we all went nuts - his past faux-pas' were all but forgiven.!!!  But think about it from CJ's perspective (or even MT's, if you prefer) - it must to be frustrating as hell for a defense-first type coach like CJ to watch. Does he reward Chucky for the assist? -or- does he nail him for the 4 giveaways?  While i agree Galchenyuk has been screwed by "dumb and dumber", he still needs to shoulder some of the responsibility for his on-ice play (spare me the numbers). HE NEEDS to take responsibility for his game... and as of right now, he needs to look himself in the mirror and realize that he is the one making it hard on himself and his coaches...  Maybe i am wrong (and i sincerely hope i am) but I don't think #27 will ever be a #1 C in Montreal. That ship has sailed.       

Nazem Kadri, Uncoachable under Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle. Misses practice, gets suspended by the team. Looks lost defensively. 

Now. A 30 goal 65 point centre, who checks top lines and gets selke votes two years later under Mike Babcock. 

Let the coach do his job and have some patience.   He was handled by a shitty coach. 

As for why he needs to be a centre.  Cause this team doesn't have a centre, and desperately needs one.  Also his PPG is much better in his career when playing at centre than at wing. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sounds simple enough, not how it played out but.

Actually those are the numbers... he was near PPG at Centre with 44 points in 45 games from when he was put at c in 2016 to when he got injured in december. 

11 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Has the ship sailed to be the #1C? Maybe.

But that's the problem. This team doesn't have a #1 or #2 C. He's not even getting a shot now to be the second line centre. He's getting stuffed into the bottom six.

You don't like him as the top centre, due to defensive lapses and inconsistent shifts (or because he doesn't hit enough if you're one of those dorks) that's fine, but that doesn't mean he can't play second line centre. With Lehkonen and Gallagher playing well it made sense to put him between them. He got Lehkonen eventually but had Andrew Shaw as an anchor. 

This team has a gaping hole at centre and they have a 24 year old with the offensive ability to be a 60 point guy and instead go with Danault and Plekanec. And sometimes Shaw. It's inconceivable. Any other team would have kept Chuck at centre in the top six and rode it until it no longer worked. Therrien and Julien can't do that because bad defensive play is worse than anything in the world in their mind.

We are willing to accept bad offensive play from a top 6 centre as long as he is ok defensively. 

We can't accept the opposite. And work with the kid to play D. 

Its asinine. 

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We are willing to accept bad offensive play from a top 6 centre as long as he is ok defensively. 

Its asinine. 

This has been my view for years. In the constipated logic of the NHL, players are allowed to be one dimensional, but only if that dimension is defence. Then they are praised to the skies. But if all you do is score and/or make plays, you're a 'problem.'. Meanwhile offensive talent is the one thing you can never coach into existence. 

A lot of this comes back to the ego of coaches and a kind of 'military corps' mentality. Because offensive talent is a variable coaches cannot control, they tend to discount it and to over-emphasize the things they can. 

I always hearken back to the Islanders, who were told not to draft Mike Bossy because his defensive game was suspect :rolleyes: They were wise enough to laugh that off and pick one of the greatest scorers in NHL history. But in today's over-coached NHL nobody remembers that lesson.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This has been my view for years. In the constipated logic of the NHL, players are allowed to be one dimensional, but only if that dimension is defence. Then they are praised to the skies. But if all you do is score and/or make plays, you're a 'problem.'. Meanwhile offensive talent is the one thing you can never coach into existence. 

A lot of this comes back to the ego of coaches and a kind of 'military corps' mentality. Because offensive talent is a variable coaches cannot control, they tend to discount it and to over-emphasize the things they can. 

I always hearken back to the Islanders, who were told not to draft Mike Bossy because his defensive game was suspect :rolleyes: They were wise enough to laugh that off and pick one of the greatest scorers in NHL history. But in today's over-coached NHL nobody remembers that lesson.

What hurt with bossy is that he desperately wanted to play for the habs, but we passed on him and drafted Napier instead.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What hurt with bossy is that he desperately wanted to play for the habs, but we passed on him and drafted Napier instead.

Yes, no doubt because they wanted the more 'complete player.' :rolleyes:

I totally agree that Galchenyuk should be allowed to do what he does best out there and that he has the skill to be able to do it. But I'm starting to get to the point that I'm wondering what it is that management is seeing in him that is so negative. Therrien kept rotating him between center and the wing, the highly accredited Julian had him buried on the 4th line, Team North America didn't pick him and now I just read that Team USA didn't even ask him to play for them at the World Cup. Are we all overvaluing him? Because we can't afford for our highest draft pick in a generation to be a bust, and I sure hope he isn't. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, illWill said:

I totally agree that Galchenyuk should be allowed to do what he does best out there and that he has the skill to be able to do it. But I'm starting to get to the point that I'm wondering what it is that management is seeing in him that is so negative. Therrien kept rotating him between center and the wing, the highly accredited Julian had him buried on the 4th line, Team North America didn't pick him and now I just read that Team USA didn't even ask him to play for them at the World Cup. Are we all overvaluing him? Because we can't afford for our highest draft pick in a generation to be a bust, and I sure hope he isn't. 

Team USA's World Championship roster is almost always filled with AHL kids and College kids.  This year they will do even more of that, especially with NHLers not going to the Olympics. 

Might take a handful of veteran NHLers to be leaders for the kids.  But their roster is not about taking the best players, its about building the program, and I bet the types of players they take are going to be the types who might play in the olympics. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Its asinine. 

I agree, I have said this before but I don't care about his defenive capabilities due to the fact that when he is playing game, and is in the right spot (1st line) he has the puck all the time. That is the best defense, if they don't have the puck, how they gonna score? Let the kid play his game.

16 minutes ago, illWill said:

I started getting the point when he came back from injury (that's when i started this discussion) ....sure defensive skills can be taught...but here we are 4+ years later and he seems to be regressing...apologist can't seem to see that MAYBE, just maybe - he is the problem ...also you forgot to mention Muller who i am sure works with the kid.  that's just too many coaches and organizations who have decided he isn't good enough.  Right now (under Julien) this is the pecking order at Center...Danault, Plex, Shaw, Ott, Mitchell, not even sure Chucky is sixth...

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Actually those are the numbers... he was near PPG at Centre with 44 points in 45 games from when he was put at c in 2016 to when he got injured in december. 

45games eh, cherry pick king you are! He was demoted from centre in 2017 and it wasn't because he was putting up 1.0ppg, nor did he light it up at other times he played centre. But, in meaningless games at end of 2016 he did great and to start 2017, which almost everyone did well and barely lost a game.

1 hour ago, DON said:

45games eh, cherry pick king you are! He was demoted from centre in 2017 and it wasn't because he was putting up 1.0ppg, nor did he light it up at other times he played centre. But, in meaningless games at end of 2016 he did great and to start 2017, which almost everyone did well and barely lost a game.

Until he got injured he was doing really good. Is that cherry picking? After he got back he had trouble and after Barber Bill came it got worse. But he wasn't playing centre then.