Montreal Canadiens vs. Calgary Flames | March 9th, 2017 | 9:00 EST

Habsfan84

Saying the change to Julien hasn't made the difference and its all price ignores some key facts though. 

Carey Price was #3 in the NHL in 5v5 save percentage under Therrien.

He was poor in 4v5, as our penalty kill was a joke. 

Price's 5v5 save percentage under Julien is up slightly but not significantly. 

Price's 4v5 save percentage under Julien is up DRAMATICALLY... like 180 points.  (December 1st to Feb 14... 765, since julien hired 944),  

We see the same thing with Montoya, a terrible 4v5 save percentage under Therrien, and he's only given up 1 PK goals against in his two games under Julien. 

Overall the Habs have given up 2 PPGA in 10 games under Julien (Price 1 in 8 games). 

On top of all that...there is a drastic change in the PK unit, from a passive diamond formation, to an aggressive box based formation. 

There have also been 5v5 changes to the system. 

Ignoring the changes Julien has made in the first several paragraphs of the article, makes me ignore the entire article.  I just can't take it seriously. 

Most of us here will admit that Julien is a much better coach than Therrien... so why do we ignore the changes that have happened here. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Oh there is no question Julien is doing a better job. 

The defensive zone breakdowns are almost non existent 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

I'm not so sure it will though....

My personal opinion is that we'll never be a real contender under Beregvin. This team has/had one of the better cores in the NHL, when Beregvin came in, yet it's the same story ever year. 

A legitimate rebuild is something that's looking eminent in the not TOO distant future. I know that sounds ridiculous and it may be, but mediocrity doesn't win cups. 

This team can't with stand Price, Radulov, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty all getting new contracts. Especially with the fact there's no young forward prospects up and coming to alleviate some of the cap issues. 

i agree...MB has a two year window tops.. i know there are folks here that give him an A+ / A-.  I disagree.  i DO give him credit because he has managed to keep the core together, and that is not an easy thing to do. But his negatives are just too many. While we are all clamouring (and rightly so) for a top Center;  we also have major issues on D.  In fact we only have two D-men on this team: Markov and Weber; the other 4-5 are a mess.  Why ? Because the pairings a mess  and will continue to be a mess.  Let me stress this is not a coaching issue.   As I have mentioned before (in another thread) the problem with our D is that there is NO ONE to pair with Emelin...this has been a problem for years now...The coaches are forced to play him because of his contract...but he simple is the worse D on our team and has been for a while now.  That MB hasn't seen this or, has seen it but hasn't done anything about it, makes me wonder about MB.  Also, if even an ounce of speculation about Subban being traded because of MT is true, then MB is a total (blank)... *fill in the blank   

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Lines at practice 

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
King-Mitchell-Gallagher
Martinsen-Ott-McCarron

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

Davidson 

I wouldn't have Emelin remotely close to this line up

Weird to not have Davidson in against his former team, too. 

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Weird to not have Davidson in against his former team, too. 

I was thinking that too. 

On 3/10/2017 at 0:33 PM, DON said:

You certainly are an optimist because you're creating a narrative of your own. There's no reason to take Calgary lightly as they are a playoff team. Not to mention a playoff team that had won 7 in a row themselves. I'm an optimist as well but there's no doubt that was one of the worst performances as a team this season. On the other hand, the team certainly does get shutout all too often and while I still think we have a team that can do damage, it is the worrying symptom.

It was one loss and that is about it...if want to portray as more than the first loss in 7 games, fly at er. But, calling yourself an optimist at same time as shooting down a pretty positive take on game, seems at odds.

Sorry for bumping back to this but if you've seen my posts on here over the years, I'm the type to defend any of our players and always have a positive outlook on things. The difference is that at a certain point in can also be considered blind fandom to act positive during situations where we legitimately should have concerns. 

I'm often on your side of the fence, as well as his, but he was the first one to criticize those who were being fairly negative in this instance and this didn't seem like the right time for it, that's all. 

In addition, I was responding to the part of his text where he said "You can call me an optimist" so I wasn't trying to label him myself. Perhaps my tone was off. 

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Sorry for bumping back to this but if you've seen my posts on here over the years, I'm the type to defend any of our players and always have a positive outlook on things. The difference is that at a certain point in can also be considered blind fandom to act positive during situations where we legitimately should have concerns. 

I'm often on your side of the fence, as well as his, but he was the first one to criticize those who were being fairly negative in this instance and this didn't seem like the right time for it, that's all. 

In addition, I was responding to the part of his text where he said "You can call me an optimist" so I wasn't trying to label him myself. Perhaps my tone was off. 

Its all good, no offense, just were so many negative posts after this loss and mineral's post seemed reasonable and a nice change from the other 'sky is falling' ones. Fans..fanatics by definition are bit irrational and I simply choose to try and be more positive (than maybe should be), but of course are some legit concerns, as are with every team. But seems are way too many cynical or pessimistic posts during and after each and every loss, which is my biggest pet peeve, but that is unlikely to change. Like with Pacioretty, who goes from being the worst captain or biggest floater ever...to best contract in NHL, most underrated winger and solid scorer every year. When we all know many snipers are streaky and he will have cold and hot spells every season.

• Upvote 1