1 hour ago, Commandant said:

2 x 4 for Markov

6 x 6 for Radu

8 x 5.5 for Chuck

2 x 3 for Dadonov

2 x 4.5 for Shipachyov

1 x fired from a cannon into the sun for Emelin

:lol:

Like it or not  Markov has earned a 2-year deal. We'll regret it in year two, probably.

Supposedly Markov or agent said he wants to play 1,000 reg season games with Habs and will be about (991 I think if plays out the season) 10 short after this year; but would he accept a 1 yr deal and home town discount to make it so?

3 hours ago, DON said:

Supposedly Markov or agent said he wants to play 1,000 reg season games with Habs and will be about (991 I think if plays out the season) 10 short after this year; but would he accept a 1 yr deal and home town discount to make it so?

Apparently he wants two years... but is willing to take less money than the 5.75 he is making right now. 

I think we should go 2 years x 4 million and get it done. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

2 x 4 for Markov

6 x 6 for Radu

8 x 5.5 for Chuck

2 x 3 for Dadonov

2 x 4.5 for Shipachyov

Markov yeah ok, against my best judgement but I could see it.

radu 5x6.5 would be better

Chuck yup

definitely jettison Emelin

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

2 x 4 for Markov

6 x 6 for Radu

8 x 5.5 for Chuck

2 x 3 for Dadonov

2 x 4.5 for Shipachyov

Getting chucky for $5.5m is wishful thinking.  That may have been possible 2 years ago, now he is going to be looking for $7m+ and we may get him for $6.5m.  Like subban, signing him to a bridge deal will cost us now.

I love radulov, but 6 years is too long for him.  He probably has 3 good years left in him - 4 tops.  I say you offer him $6m/5 years, or $6.5/4yrs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You want to signe the player... you live with the fact he may decline in year 5 and 6.  Thats just the cost of doing business here.

I'm inclined to agree. Radulov is a crucial part of the top-6 on a team that already has trouble scoring, and has no obvious elite FW talent in the system. Depending on how Sergachev develops, we have a Cup-window of another three years or so given where Weber is in his career. Do we want to shamble through those three years trying to scrape together band-aids for the top-6, or just sign Radu, and worry about the implications later?

I also agree with Habs29 about Chucky. He's basically a PPG centreman. You try telling his agent that he should sign for 5.5.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

also agree with Habs29 about Chucky. He's basically a PPG centreman. You try telling his agent that he should sign for 5.5.

Try telling his agent that after a bridge deal. 

"I know you just took less on a bridge to prove yourself, and you did, but, ummmm, we want you to be paid only $1.6 million more than Shaw."

11 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Try telling his agent that after a bridge deal. 

"I know you just took less on a bridge to prove yourself, and you did, but, ummmm, we want you to be paid only $1.6 million more than Shaw."

Indeed. Basically, Bergevin has screwed the pooch on these bridge deals. One of them contributed to costing us the best position player this team developed since Guy Lafleur, and the other ensures that Galchenyuk has him by the short-hairs in the upcoming negotiation. Part of the job of a wise GM is to identify young players who will become part of the 'core' and lock them up BEFORE they have maxed out their market value. MB either is incapable of identifying such players, or can't be bothered.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Galchenyuk is one of my favourite players, but I have this feeling he's going to get moved this summer 

I hope I'm completely wrong. 

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Galchenyuk is one of my favourite players, but I have this feeling he's going to get moved this summer 

I hope I'm completely wrong. 

I think he will get a long deal, but wtf do I know...bigger question for next month, is how he will do in playoffs? He has 9pts in last 10games and will he continue to produce like that in the post-season?

Damn right he will. The guy has been a consistent point producer since being moved to Centre. He doesn't have a ton of defensive vision and he isn't a setup man, but he needs to stay at centre. Carter has been a goal scoring centre his whole career and he has never been viewed as a typical centre man. Stamkos too. He needs to stay at centre as a Canadien. 

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Damn right he will. The guy has been a consistent point producer since being moved to Centre. He doesn't have a ton of defensive vision and he isn't a setup man, but he needs to stay at centre. Carter has been a goal scoring centre his whole career and he has never been viewed as a typical centre man. Stamkos too. He needs to stay at centre as a Canadien. 

Disagree 100%; but, I really could care less wing or centre he should do just fine. Just disagree that he 'needs' or must be a centreman. 

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Indeed. Basically, Bergevin has screwed the pooch on these bridge deals. One of them contributed to costing us the best position player this team developed since Guy Lafleur, and the other ensures that Galchenyuk has him by the short-hairs in the upcoming negotiation. Part of the job of a wise GM is to identify young players who will become part of the 'core' and lock them up BEFORE they have maxed out their market value. MB either is incapable of identifying such players, or can't be bothered.

It's too early to say it was the wrong call on giving Galchenyuk the bridge deal.  It's not as if he would have taken $4-5 million on a long-term pact coming off his entry-level deal.  No top three pick would be that dumb.  It likely would have been in the high 5/low 6 range (probably the former).  The long-term deal for Galchenyuk this offseason isn't going to be all that much higher that that.

Is a 2 year/$2.8M per bridge plus 6 years/~$6.5M really that much worse of an outcome than a 6 year/~$5.75M contract coming off his entry-level deal?  I don't think it is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DON said:

Disagree 100%; but, I really could care less wing or centre he should do just fine. Just disagree that he 'needs' or must be a centreman. 

Playing on the wing, his point production was meh... Moved to Centre and he has been unbelievable offensively for over a year, other than his recovery from injury. 

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Is a 2 year/$2.8M per bridge plus 6 years/~$6.5M really that much worse of an outcome than a 6 year/~$5.75M contract coming off his entry-level deal?  I don't think it is.

I don't see him taking less than $7 million per season due to the bridge. Stepan makes $6.5 million on a deal he got two years ago. Galchenyuk has proven more offensively. ROR gets $7.5 million. Sean Monahan gets $6.5 million because Calgary skipped the bridge to sign him long term. I don't see Galchenyuk or Johansen taking less than $7 million per season long term.

35 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I don't see him taking less than $7 million per season due to the bridge. Stepan makes $6.5 million on a deal he got two years ago. Galchenyuk has proven more offensively. ROR gets $7.5 million. Sean Monahan gets $6.5 million because Calgary skipped the bridge to sign him long term. I don't see Galchenyuk or Johansen taking less than $7 million per season long term.

I don't think Galchenyuk's overall body of work will get him to $7 million.  Lots can happen between now and the summer which could still affect things but I think he's going to wind up in the 6.5-6.75 range as things stand.

So as GM, assuming you decide to go the 7 - 3 - 1 route, and assuming you decide to leave Plekanec unprotected, do you sign Radulov early and protect him to stop Vegas from negotiating with him, but leave someone like Hudon at risk of being taken? Or do you hold off on signing Rads and hope you can sign him after the expansion draft, but protect a young asset like Hudon?

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

So as GM, assuming you decide to go the 7 - 3 - 1 route, and assuming you decide to leave Plekanec unprotected, do you sign Radulov early and protect him to stop Vegas from negotiating with him, but leave someone like Hudon at risk of being taken? Or do you hold off on signing Rads and hope you can sign him after the expansion draft, but protect a young asset like Hudon?

I throw our 3rd round pick on the table and tell Vegas they can have it too, if they take Plekanec. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I throw our 3rd round pick on the table and tell Vegas they can have it too, if they take Plekanec. 

Not Emelin?

Or in this hypothetical situation has he died in a tragic, strangled-to-death-in-a-dark-alley accident?

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Not Emelin?

Or in this hypothetical situation has he died in a tragic, strangled-to-death-in-a-dark-alley accident?

1) Plek's contract is bigger.

2) I think Vegas is going to have many defencemen to choose from in expansion, they aren't going to have many good centres.  The nature of the 7-3-1 rule.