If YOU were owner of the HABS

zumpano21

3 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

On D: Weber isn't the problem (he's the solution)...Come playoffs - you want Weber on your team.

Emelin is the problem (no one to pair him with)...

LD in general is the problem. Or A problem, anyway, along with the farcical lack of talent at C.

4 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

On D: Weber isn't the problem (he's the solution)...Come playoffs - you want Weber on your team.

You don't win playoff games without scoring. Subban is top 3 (arguably the very best) offensive defenceman in the NHL for the playoffs. He has the highest PPG in for defenceman in the past five playoffs. Weber is nowhere near him for that, and his last playoff performance was one of the most embarrassing for any top defenceman.

I agree Weber isn't the problem. That was the entire point of my post! The problem wasn't Subban either. The problem is no top four LD, temporary RW solutions and only one suitable top six centre. None of these issues were fixed. The Lars Eller issue was fixed. The P.K. Subban issue (?) was fixed. Bergevin has acquired tons of sandpaper. He has had three issues to fix since he came in. None of them have been addressed. Instead, it was more important to trade two second round picks for a third line grinder with a good playoff reputation. 

Want to fix the temporary RW situation? Re-sign Radulov.

Want to fix the top four LD situation? Bite the bullet and trade for a guy.

Want to fix the top six centre depth situation? Stop relying on bandages and go get a guy.

I'm not asking for a lot here. Drop some picks, use some prospects, and make the team an actual Cup contender instead of being content with Philip Danault and Andrew Shaw as your top six centres one week before the playoffs!

4 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

You don't win playoff games without scoring. Subban is top 3 (arguably the very best) offensive defenceman in the NHL for the playoffs. He has the highest PPG in for defenceman in the past five playoffs. Weber is nowhere near him for that, and his last playoff performance was one of the most embarrassing for any top defenceman.

I agree Weber isn't the problem. That was the entire point of my post! The problem wasn't Subban either. The problem is no top four LD with Markov, temporary RW solutions and only one suitable top six centre. None of these issues were fixed. The Lars Eller issue was fixed. The P.K. Subban issue (?) was fixed. Bergevin has acquired tons of sandpaper. He has had three issues to fix since he came in. None of them have been addressed. Instead, it was more important to trade two second round picks for a third line grinder with a good playoff reputation. 

Want to fix the top six centre depth situation? Stop relying on bandages and go get a guy.

I'm not asking for a lot here. Drop some picks, use some prospects, and make the team an actual Cup contender instead of being content with Philip Danault and Andrew Shaw as your top six centres one week before the playoffs!

Just now, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I agree Weber isn't the problem. That was the entire point of my post! The problem wasn't Subban either. The problem is no top four LD, temporary RW solutions and only one suitable top six centre. None of these issues were fixed. The Lars Eller issue was fixed. The P.K. Subban issue (?) was fixed. Bergevin has acquired tons of sandpaper. He has had three issues to fix since he came in. None of them have been addressed. Instead, it was more important to trade two second round picks for a third line grinder with a good playoff reputation. 

couldn't agree more...we may lose Beauleau and McCarron (and more..) but DO IT already 

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

instead of being content with Philip Danault and Andrew Shaw as your top six centres one week before the playoffs!

How do you think coach Julien feels?!?  What a f-ucking mess!!  MB should be traded.  

If I were owner of the Habs, The Montreal Canadiens would be my priority. I would make sure I was really wealthy, fun to be around and accessible to all my players and staff. I'd do everything in my power to develop a culture of winning as well as provide a family-like culture within the team outside of the rink. The hope would be to attract players from all over the league and other leagues through positive word of mouth.  I would provide team vacations and get togethers for the players as well as family members of the team. Much more than the annual golf tournament and anything else that already takes place. I would offer a 1 or 2 week all paid family vacation to a warm destination during the off season for any team members who didn't already have other plans and wished to join and go together with their families as a team. Any family related events such as "Father's weekend" where father's attend a back to back over the weekend would continue and be improved upon should they already exist.

The language issue during the coaching hiring process would be addressed. There are good french coaches but if the best coach available were to be unilingually English, there are only 29 teams who would be able to hire him. If the best coach were french speaking, 30 teams have a shot at him. This disparity would have to be addressed although I understand that there would be hardships and repercussions to face. Some of the more likely outcomes would be to either have a permanent translator for all interviews and post game conferences or to have a bilingual assistant coach who will translate what the coach has to say himself. 

The Montreal Canadiens are a historic team with a lot of tradition so keeping the status quo would be best when it comes to a lot of things. As an owner, I'd always like to attract more fans but on the other side of the coin, it's not like the Canadiens are lacking in that area. I'd continue to add to the apparel line and have more created for any Montreal Canadiens' fan store. I'd even contemplate creating a Montreal Canadiens' clothing line if it doesn't already exist. My own selfish desire would probably be to create a new "3rd jersey" that would be very, very similar. I would just personally consider it a little trademark from my time as owner of the Habs. 

Improvements would continue to be made to overall fan experience. At home games, 3rd star would sign a puck, 2nd star would sign a stick and 1st star would sign a jersey to be given away to three lucky attendees (or less) in the audience based on a number on their ticket. I'd have a look around the rink to see if there were any more kid friendly games that could be added to the venue for pregame and intermission fun but the little peewee games on the ice during intermission would continue as well. 

Finally, I'd have an end of year awards ceremony for the team where players would be acknowledged for milestones and perhaps even a player bonus here and there would be handed out. Definitely something for the rookies who played a certain amount of games as well as to the most valuable player in each position. I'd be the owner, but I'd want the best for my players and for them to remain hungry and these types of things might add to the incentive of playing one's best on a regular basis, especially for the younger players. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

How do you think coach Julien feels?!?  What a f-ucking mess!!  MB should be traded.  

Way  better then the guys he had just before coming back :D