Game 1 2017 Playoffs Rangers at Habs

DON

2 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I'm sorry, but do you not realize we didn't score a ####ing goal last night? 

Maybe your best point per game player shouldn't be on a line with barely nhl calibre players. Just a thought 

Therrien 2.0. Better coach. Same mentality. 

i know...but by now we should all know this discussion is like...beating a dead horse.

1 minute ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

i know...but by now we should all know this discussion is like...beating a dead horse.

Yep. Some of us are willing to accept Galy's 'incomplete game' in return for his offensive skill (just as we accept that defensive players also have an 'incomplete' game in the sense that they add nothing to the offence). Others take the more standard NHL view that every player has to be an all-around player, except defensive players, who are allowed to do nothing in the O-zone. It's an honest difference, but all I can say is that this team will not win without getting Galy going offensively. We just don't have the horses up front to get away with that.

20 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Whose galchenyuk supposed to pass to that can actually finish???

That's the thing.  Forget passing - Galchenyuk needs to learn to be a lot more assertive with his shot.  He has a very good one but is terrified to use it a lot of the time it seems (he went from 2.45 shots per game to 1.70 this season, a rate that was close to his rookie season).  Where he is, the Habs are asking him to be the offensive threat which means he needs to be the trigger guy on that line with Ott/Martinsen doing the dirty work and freeing up space for him. 

To be honest, I think that's part of the reason he is where he is.  When he's with Pacioretty and Radulov, he defers a lot to them and he's too talented a player to do so on a regular basis.  That crutch isn't there on the fourth line - he needs to be more assertive because there aren't really other options to pass to.  If he starts to get more aggressive looking for his offence, not only would that be a good thing (better he shoots than Ott/Martinsen) but it also may help him find some confidence and rhythm to his game.  And when that happens, we've all seen what he can do.  (I'm not sure the plan will work but it wouldn't surprise me if this is at least part of the logic in having him on the fourth line.)

• Upvote 1

Starting the year there was the potential for Montreal to have five top six quality forwards. Plekanec bottomed out, Gallagher has clearly had injury issues. Byron stepped into the Dale Weise middle six role and Danault put up Stajan/Bozak kind of middle six centre numbers.

That meant there was only three guys who scored like top six forwards and one of them is playing on the fourth line. On the bright side Lehkonen might be the first Habs draft pick since Galchenyuk to actually be a good player. 

Now if Radulov walks (I don't think he will but who knows), and Gallagher doesn't improve, and Plekanec isn't picked up by Vegas to free up cap space, and Galchenyuk doesn't "prove himself" to Julien on an RFA year, where does this team go? There's so much riding on this being a spectacular Playoffs. The regular season result doesn't matter. This team needs to win at least seven games if they want to keep the status quo.

34 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

As a Montrealer - 690 AM radio is always on in my car (specifically this time of year)...Pierre Gauthier, Mitch Melnick and the other talking heads are baffled by the Galchenyuk situation...Pat Hickey is the only so called expert who believes CJ is justified in his decision to play him as a 4th line winger...the rest are speculating that he is in the doghouse; or something along those lines. Pierre did mention that (and i am paraphrasing) maybe he is not going to live up to the expectations placed on him...which is what i have been saying now since he came back from his injury.  We have a hole at center ....so its normal for us to want a top draft pick to to fill it.  but why?  If we had a hole on the W, we wouldn't be arguing about Chucky being moved to W, would we? MB needs to land a top line C ...nothing's changed in that respect.  And chuck needs to shoot the puck 7-9 times a game from the top of the circle - some will be blocked, some will miss the net...and some will go in...

Also i don't think we are all that strong on the W. So while we have a problem at C;-  Surely we could use a sniper like Chucky on the wing... ??

Chucks was rolling until he got hurt.  He's been messed coming back from the injury - which by the looks of it he came back too early, as well as from confidence issues that can be rooted in the way dumb and dumber handled him, with their crap about "it's a process" and "learning to play the right way".  Same crap as subban went through.

they needed and even more so now, need to let him play his game.  Concentrate on doing what he does well - score and generate offence.  Once he starts producing and he's gotten his confidence back, ease him into refining the defensive side of his game.  That's what rhey should have done when he first came up, but dumb and dumber fxcked up kicking the gift horse of coming in with a top 3 pick, by doing the best they can to ruin the kid.

julien is a MORON for having him on the 4th line.  I think there are only two other coaches I can think of, that would put chucky on the 4th line on a goal starved lineup, given the alternatives (le genius and mike milbury).

Given the way he's been handled it's no wonder he is playing like crap.

i think we are going to have galchenyuk moved for a good grinding winger that MB seems to love so much.

3 hours ago, DON said:

#1 overall pick

72pts as a rookie (Calder Trophy), followed by 70, 88, 73 pts, then a Conn Smyth year, might have something to do with that don't you think. 

If Kane was drunk in public  at a habs cup parade, or got in bar fights, or with cab drivers as a hab, he would have been traded within the week.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's the thing.  Forget passing - Galchenyuk needs to learn to be a lot more assertive with his shot.  He has a very good one but is terrified to use it a lot of the time it seems (he went from 2.45 shots per game to 1.70 this season, a rate that was close to his rookie season).  Where he is, the Habs are asking him to be the offensive threat which means he needs to be the trigger guy on that line with Ott/Martinsen doing the dirty work and freeing up space for him. 

To be honest, I think that's part of the reason he is where he is.  When he's with Pacioretty and Radulov, he defers a lot to them and he's too talented a player to do so on a regular basis.  That crutch isn't there on the fourth line - he needs to be more assertive because there aren't really other options to pass to.  If he starts to get more aggressive looking for his offence, not only would that be a good thing (better he shoots than Ott/Martinsen) but it also may help him find some confidence and rhythm to his game.  And when that happens, we've all seen what he can do.  (I'm not sure the plan will work but it wouldn't surprise me if this is at least part of the logic in having him on the fourth line.)

Great insight, Brian. It seems a radical method to trying to get him to shoot more, but you may be on to something.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:
6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Starting the year there was the potential for Montreal to have five top six quality forwards. Plekanec bottomed out, Gallagher has clearly had injury issues. Byron stepped into the Dale Weise middle six role and Danault put up Stajan/Bozak kind of middle six centre numbers.

That meant there was only three guys who scored like top six forwards and one of them is playing on the fourth line. On the bright side Lehkonen might be the first Habs draft pick since Galchenyuk to actually be a good player. 

Now if Radulov walks (I don't think he will but who knows), and Gallagher doesn't improve, and Plekanec isn't picked up by Vegas to free up cap space, and Galchenyuk doesn't "prove himself" to Julien on an RFA year, where does this team go? There's so much riding on this being a spectacular Playoffs. The regular season result doesn't matter. This team needs to win at least seven games if they want to keep the status quo.

i think we are going to have galchenyuk moved for a good grinding winger that MB seems to love so much.

Machine, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Habs29, the scenario you describe is the ultimate nightmare we're all worried about.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He doesn't need to centre maxpac and radulov right now.  Put him with gally and lekhonan 

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

this is exactly what Pierre Gauthier said earlier today...basically he said that CJ is a very savvy coach and there are "structures" the opposite side winger and center can use, which would allow Galchenyuk to get some space and time --- giving him the opportunity to shoot the puck more. hopefully they (as a line) can get it straight...ppl complaining that he has no one to pass to are missing the point of this exercise completely !!!! 

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I legit had a dream Montreal traded him for Claude Giroux with half freaking out about the cap and the other half freaking out about acquiring him.

As a life long habs fan, I would be done with the habs until MB got fired if such an idiotic trade was made.  The scary thing is, that's the best case scenario I now expect from MB

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Chucks was rolling until he got hurt.  He's been messed coming back from the injury - which by the looks of it he came back too early, as well as from confidence issues that can be rooted in the way dumb and dumber handled him, with their crap about "it's a process" and "learning to play the right way".  Same crap as subban went through.

they needed and even more so now, need to let him play his game.  Concentrate on doing what he does well - score and generate offence.  Once he starts producing and he's gotten his confidence back, ease him into refining the defensive side of his game.  That's what rhey should have done when he first came up, but dumb and dumber fxcked up kicking the gift horse of coming in with a top 3 pick, by doing the best they can to ruin the kid.

julien is a MORON for having him on the 4th line.  I think there are only two other coaches I can think of, that would put chucky on the 4th line on a goal starved lineup, given the alternatives (le genius and mike milbury).

Given the way he's been handled it's no wonder he is playing like crap.

Agreed...100% with you on the negative role dumb and dumber played in developing this top (top, top) prospect ....but, nevertheless,  here we are. 

I don't profess to understand CJs approach, other than (as dbair suggested), its not about being on the 4th line. but rather a tactical move in order to give Galy the opportunity to shoot...his linemate are supposed to be SETTING HIM UP....not the other way around.  Give CJ the benefit of the doubt,  the kid needs to shoot 5+ times a night...even if he doesn't score - it doesn't matter..just shoot the puck.  This message has to (MUST) be part of the daily discussions and drilled into him AND his line mates over and over again..i don't think we are going to see him at C (hope i am wrong) so let;s hope this "strategy"; read - next experiment, works otherwise, even if we manage to get past the Rangers, we won't get very far...  

27 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

Agreed...100% with you on the negative role dumb and dumber played in developing this top (top, top) prospect ....but, nevertheless,  here we are. 

I don't profess to understand CJs approach, other than (as dbair suggested), its not about being on the 4th line. but rather a tactical move in order to give Galy the opportunity to shoot...his linemate are supposed to be SETTING HIM UP....not the other way around.  Give CJ the benefit of the doubt,  the kid needs to shoot 5+ times a night...even if he doesn't score - it doesn't matter..just shoot the puck.  This message has to (MUST) be part of the daily discussions and drilled into him AND his line mates over and over again..i don't think we are going to see him at C (hope i am wrong) so let;s hope this "strategy"; read - next experiment, works otherwise, even if we manage to get past the Rangers, we won't get very far...  

I don't buy into giving him grunts so that he will shoot more.  Do you seriously think any of them can set chucky up??  Even if he is on the zone, who are the rangers going to converge on, the guy who can actually do something with the puck, or useless washes out grunts that they couldn't do anything with the puck, even if they had it?   If he wants chucky to shoot more, he should be playing with someone who can actually set him up.  Thanks to the bang up job that MB has done improving the top 6, the only real option is lekonan.  Throw in gally to go after rebounds and you actually have a dangerous line.

julien pulled the same shot with kessel when no one else on the bruins could score 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't buy into giving him grunts so that he will shoot more.  Do you seriously think any of them can set chucky up??  Even if he is on the zone, who are the rangers going to converge on, the guy who can actually do something with the puck, or useless washes out grunts that they couldn't do anything with the puck, even if they had it?   If he wants chucky to shoot more, he should be playing with someone who can actually set him up.  Thanks to the bang up job that MB has done improving the top 6, the only real option is lekonan.  Throw in gally to go after rebounds and you actually have a dangerous line.

...except to MB these are not useless washed up grunts...they are big power forwards with experience and (wait for it...) character... So this is how it plays out in MB 's head...if Galy can't play with these big, experienced, character guys...then...something is wrong with him (and not them).

incidently Don's Cherry is wet.. Leafs are up 2-1 

Beaulieu unfortunately is starting to look like he did at Hamilton. I always found him self centred in his AHL play and took way too many chances

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

What happened to that Radulov Galchenyuk chemistry? 

Its a Russian-Belarussian thing that goes way back.:spamafote:

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk is what he is-a solid first line winger or 1A center that has some adventures in his own zone. I can see what the coaches see, in that during the time after his penalty when he got stuck on the PK, he was lost. They were still on a defacto 4v3. He bunched up to the other forward and the box looked like a rhombus. You have to take yes for an answer. If he gets you two goals, and costs you a half goal per, don't turn the guy into Chris Kelly.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Galchenyuk is what he is-a solid first line winger or 1A center that has some adventures in his own zone. I can see what the coaches see, in that during the time after his penalty when he got stuck on the PK, he was lost. They were still on a defacto 4v3. He bunched up to the other forward and the box looked like a rhombus. You have to take yes for an answer. If he gets you two goals, and costs you a half goal per, don't turn the guy into Chris Kelly.

Sing it, brother!

• Upvote 1