HABS VS RANGERS PLAYOFFS GAME 2 THREAD FRIDAY APRIL 14TH @ 7PM

xXx..CK..xXx

Guest Stogey24
12 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

Yes he did in the third...Martinsen hardly saw any ice time for a stretch..  Ott, Nesterov...that's shortening your bench...

4th line still saw time in 3Rd. Ott and Martinsen both had 5 shifts in OT. 

Anyways, not a big deal. Your definitely right Julien does deserves some credit. That was a well played final 39 minutes. 

That was certainly a memorable game for my first ever game thread. I had a feeling the timing was right to come out of hibernation in the area. 

What a time to score one of our seemingly rare last minute goals. I have Czech ancestry and so I'll always have a soft spot for Plekanec although the decline is real (a la Brad Richards near the end) and I was happy to see how much the goal meant to him.  I had to miss the second and third periods because I had appointments but I rushed home when I saw that we were in overtime and caught from 3:30 left in overtime. I saw Lehkonen have a great chance and Radulov score the winner. 

Huge win and let's hope it continues into Sunday. 

• Upvote 2

much better effort by the guys. I think Price would like to have that 1st one back, he looked totally confused by it. Now we have 15 more to go. Let's get at it.

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

That was certainly a memorable game for my first ever game thread. I had a feeling the timing was right to come out of hibernation in the area. 

What a time to score one of our seemingly rare last minute goals. I have Czech ancestry and so I'll always have a soft spot for Plekanec although the decline is real (a la Brad Richards near the end) and I was happy to see how much the goal meant to him.  I had to miss the second and third periods because I had appointments but I rushed home when I saw that we were in overtime and caught from 3:30 left in overtime. I saw Lehkonen have a great chance and Radulov score the winner. 

Personally I hope we are still seeing your name on the GDT 15 more times.

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

a well deserved goal for Plex...he was strong on face-offs...strong on the backcheck...the best line all night 

Funny moment. My son had a birthday party to go to tonight. I brought the iPad and after dropping him off, my wife, sister, and I grabbed dinner at a restaurant. We were watching the third, and when the Habs tied, we all yelled out in celebration. Everyone in the place turned and looked at us...you could hear a pin drop! We paid our check, picked up my son, and the Habs scored in OT on the way home, with my son watching in the back seat. 

Wooooo!! 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

I take it back about Emelin. I want Nesterov off that blue line.

(Would Davidson be a better choice?)

I want to like Davidson, I really do, but I don't think he's an upgrade right now even on Nesterov. 

What's the prognosis on Emelin? I guess I should check in another thread.. 

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I want to like Davidson, I really do, but I don't think he's an upgrade right now even on Nesterov. 

What's the prognosis on Emelin? I guess I should check in another thread.. 

In the playoffs there is no prognosis. LBI's as far as the eyes can see, and everything is day-to-day.

"Is it true they had to amputate the leg?"
"He's a little banged up right now but could play next game."

45 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

I take it back about Emelin. I want Nesterov off that blue line.

(Would Davidson be a better choice?)

Folks seem to forget that 74 was playing the best hockey of his career when he came out of the World Cup in September.

I think Emelin can adjust and elevate his game when called on for big situations. Plus, this series is getting physical and he's a big plus to have in that. 

I.e. All the Rags have to know when he's on the ice or they will end up exactly that - ragged.

What a shift by Pacioretty to create the winning goal. TREMENDOUS intensity.

It's probably emotional exhaustion talking, but did anyone else think of Game 2 of the '93 finals? That was another game where last-second heroics pulled the fat from the fire and prevented the team from hitting the road 0-2. (Of course, this only round one, but still - shades of!)

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What a shift by Pacioretty to create the winning goal. TREMENDOUS intensity.

It's probably emotional exhaustion talking, but did anyone else think of Game 2 of the '93 finals? That was another game where last-second heroics pulled the fat from the fire and prevented the team from hitting the road 0-2. (Of course, this only round one, but still - shades of!)

Wasn't that McSorley's stick?

• Upvote 1

That's what it's all about!  Loved Chucky's resurgence, we actually have an excuse of a top-9 with him producing.  That OT was a thrill ride.  Our third pairing is a disaster, with Beaulieu hardly any better than Nesterov, who is a boy amongst men.  Barberio should never have been dumped.  Carey saved our bacon time after time and couldn't be faulted for a goal.  

The Rangers seem less error-prone than the Habs, and stealing wins on the road will be tougher.        

I watched Nesterov's interview last week. His English is very poor. Im not sure he and Beaulieu trying to communicate on the fly is very effective. They are fundamentally on the same page. But in the ebb&flow of a game when things get desperate or plays are broken. They suffer horribly. Besides, Nest & Nate are probably the exact same player. Effectively. Davidson not far off. All three of these guys need a Benn or Petry on their other side. I'd be inclined to bring up Redmond. And agree, never thought I'd be missing Barberio. Frankly, I might even start Lernout instead of Nesterov. Emelin is sorely missed right now. "..com mu ni ca tion break down.." Sings*

We're all freaking out about Galchenyuk. Rightfully so. But. They won. Maybe, having Chucky as a chip you can move to any line, is a fantastic option. My only issue. 1st PP. Shaw had a very tough time distributing the puck, making fast decisions when gaining the offensive zone and playing on the side board. If Shaw is on the PP. He should never be far from the crease, behind the net or the corners. Im not sure the need for a right handed shot outweighs Galchenyuk's shot option from the circle.

They absolutely dominated after that 3-2 marker. Ferocious play. This team is so fast it makes Dwight King look like Douglas Murray. 

10 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Did anyone else resort to pouring a drink (or two) during that game to calm their nerves?

I was feeling no pain

That being said, what an effin game. The Habs dominated the overtime period and deserved to get the comeback win. You guys should all know that this team isn't going to roll over and die, shame on those that wrote them off after 2 periods

54 minutes ago, nihilz said:

I watched Nesterov's interview last week. His English is very poor. Im not sure he and Beaulieu trying to communicate on the fly is very effective. They are fundamentally on the same page. But in the ebb&flow of a game when things get desperate or plays are broken. They suffer horribly. Besides, Nest & Nate are probably the exact same player. Effectively. Davidson not far off. All three of these guys need a Benn or Petry on their other side. I'd be inclined to bring up Redmond. And agree, never thought I'd be missing Barberio. Frankly, I might even start Lernout instead of Nesterov. Emelin is sorely missed right now. "..com mu ni ca tion break down.." Sings*

We're all freaking out about Galchenyuk. Rightfully so. But. They won. Maybe, having Chucky as a chip you can move to any line, is a fantastic option. My only issue. 1st PP. Shaw had a very tough time distributing the puck, making fast decisions when gaining the offensive zone and playing on the side board. If Shaw is on the PP. He should never be far from the crease, behind the net or the corners. Im not sure the need for a right handed shot outweighs Galchenyuk's shot option from the circle.

They absolutely dominated after that 3-2 marker. Ferocious play. This team is so fast it makes Dwight King look like Douglas Murray. 

One of the reasons they won, is because galchenyuk wasn't playing with grunts.  The shifts he had with gally and lekhonan, that whole line was buzzing around.  If we are going to win, we need galchenyuk in the top 6, not buried with 4th line grunts.

we also need maxpac to play like he did in that OT.  Yesterday our skilled guys were all dangerous and the bottom 6 were effective.  Now if the bottom pairing D could be effective, we have a chance.

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Did anyone else resort to pouring a drink (or two) during that game to calm their nerves?

Not quite. After the fight with Weber I was feeling really good about things and poured a couple fingers of Buffalo Trace single barrel a buddy gave me as wedding present.

Some adjustments I would make:

-Keep the top 3 lines for next game the same as OT.

-Get Shaw off the first PP. They need someone in front of the net, that's the problem. They don't have another center that can do that, and if they bump Gallagher, who takes the faceoffs? At this point is McCarron on the PP any worse than Shaw's one goal? Which brings me to the next point.

-Time for Dwight King to come out of the lineup. Fat Boy is out of shape and can't keep up with the play. Or do anything else, really. McCarron-Martinsen-Ott has a nice ring, like the commercials we have down here for personal injury lawyers. (I like the trap muzik ad for 411-Pain. "Put this number inside your brain, 1-800-411-PAIN).

-That should be Nesterov's last game in a Habs jersey.

13 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

-That should be Nesterov's last game in a Habs jersey.

Juulsen is now available, likely headed for AHL (if IceCaps sneak into playoffs), but maybe he would be upgrade on Nesterov (cant be worse can he?)

Too bad Redman is still out hurt, likely best option, at least he is RH as is Juulsen?