Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

12 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I'd target Granlund and Brodin

Galy + whatever

What is Brodin's projected ceiling? #2 d-man?

Sorry, I just realized that I am derailing the thread. Never mind.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sounds like Galchenyuk.

What about Galy for Jonas Brodin? That's the hot rumour. Is that a terrible move? 

i haven't dug deep into it, but first impression is that i don't love it. 

I have to say, this is excellent asset management by MB. He traded Sergachev at the highest value during his prospect years. If the years go on and the warts appear, he'll be worth less and less. I haven't seen much of him, but I do know that McAvoy and Chychrun are already in the league. Besides his skating, Sergachev didn't really do it for me.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't remember the exact quote but didn't Bergevin say at the trade deadline presser that he wouldn't move a top prospect (ie, Sergachev) for a short-term fix?  With a six year deal, Drouin is hardly a short-term fix.  (Or was there a presser after that where he said he wasn't moving Sergachev?)

Who knows? Between the blockbuster deals and the tenuous relationship with the truth, he's starting to remind me of our President.

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

And there's the six year extension for Drouin. $5.5M per season.

Very good deal. Only $1.5M more than Andrew Shaw :P

Yeah very well done and no pissing around just signed him damn near right off the plane.

Being in the league first, especially on a shitty Arizona team, doesn't make you a better prospect. 

As for McAvoy the Bruins were desperate, and he is 6 months older than Sergachev.  But again first to the league doesn't mean biggest impact. 

3 hours ago, illWill said:

I actually had a bad feeling about Sergachev the whole time and I hope for all of our sake that I was right 

If that does end up being the case, then this should be as good a deal as they come. I always had Sergachev slotted in as Markov's replacement and seeing how our record has been over the years without Markov, those were pretty big shoes to fill. 

I also fully expected Beaulieu to be able to handle top pairing minutes alongside Weber this season though so hopefully my perception is skewed when it comes to defensive prospects. 

We will need a replacement for Markov though. 

Let me understand. 

Trade a protected dispersal draft player goes a first rounder with a bright future. All the while adding a piece that makes another piece vulnerable to the dispersal draft. Acquire a talent that is very equivalent to a similar talent that is now rumoured to be on the trade block. I have always line Drouin. But...I can't get behind this. 

4 minutes ago, dreegking said:

Let me understand. 

Trade a protected dispersal draft player goes a first rounder with a bright future. All the while adding a piece that makes another piece vulnerable to the dispersal draft. Acquire a talent that is very equivalent to a similar talent that is now rumoured to be on the trade block. I have always line Drouin. But...I can't get behind this. 

The dispersal draft, as Commandant showed, is not a big problem.

Now the business of dealing away Galy, that is indeed weird. This is a good move, but it may not be if it's a precursor to losing Galy for anything other than a comparable offensive talent, or, perhaps, a near-elite defenceman.

9 minutes ago, dreegking said:

Let me understand. 

Tampa would have protected Drouin.  They weren't losing him in the draft.  They were going to leave Killorn unprotected.  Heck with Killorn's contract, they still might. 

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Who knows? Between the blockbuster deals and the tenuous relationship with the truth, he's starting to remind me of our President.

You must be delirious...not in a good way...Trump-like, is bit kooky comparison! :tumbleweed:

• Upvote 1

How soon will Bergy flip Galchenyuk for Duchene and what good UFA d-men are available?

Trade 2016 #9 pick for 2013 #3 pick and then ship 2012 #3 pick for 2009 #3 pick.

I gotta say i like this deal. Sucks to see a blue chip prospect like Sergachev go, but you don't get anything without giving up something! I just hope the Habs will be able to sign Chucky and Radu. If not, I don't think we would be moving forward! More like a sideways move!  I do think we have enough money under the cap to sign Radu, CHucky and Price!

I really don't wanna see Chucky, but if we do trade him, it's not for a d-man

I also believe that this will be Beaulieu's coming out party. He probably won't put up 55 points, but I expect him to get better in all aspects of the game.

Does moving Sergachev mean he gets one more chance?

Yeah, i think it just gave Beaulieu a second chance!

11 minutes ago, DON said:

How soon will Bergy flip Galchenyuk for Duchene and what good UFA d-men are available?

Trade 2016 #9 pick for 2013 #3 pick and then ship 2012 #3 pick for 2009 #3 pick.

I seriously don'T get why everyone has such a hard on for Duchene? Yeah, he's good, but I still think Chucky will be better!

1 minute ago, Habsfan said:

I seriously don'T get why everyone has such a hard on for Duchene? Yeah, he's good, but I still think Chucky will be better!

Duchene is better in only one area... faceoffs. 

Defensively he is just as bad. 

He's also used on the wing a lot. 
Point totals and goal totals in the last two years favor Chuck. 

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The dispersal draft, as Commandant showed, is not a big problem.

Now the business of dealing away Galy, that is indeed weird. This is a good move, but it may not be if it's a precursor to losing Galy for anything other than a comparable offensive talent, or, perhaps, a near-elite defenceman.

I think any deal that moves maxpac or galchenyuk without another top offensive player coming back is going to make the Drouin trade end upping another pointless lateral move.

For us to actually move forward with a better lineup, i think you need to keep galchenyuk and maxpac.  It's stupid to trade either unless you like i said are trading one of them for a better forward.  Trading Galchenyuk for Brodin is stupid.  Even Brodin + say Neidereiter is still stupid.  we need help at centre and like Galchenyuk neidereiter is also in for a big pay raise.

This is what i'd like to see (I'm not bothering with the 4th line - we have like 8 players to choose from):

Option 1:

Drouin and Galchenyuk are #1a and #1b centres

Maxpac - Drouin - Radulov

Lekhonan - Galchenyuk - Gallaghar

Byron - Danault - Mccarron/Hudon

Weber - xxx

Petry- Markov

Beaulieu - Benn

make deal with vegas to take/trade for Pleks and Emelin and offer up our 2nd.  Vegas wins by getting experience and pleks/emelin on 1 year deals that can be moved at the trade deadline for more picks. 

Use Shaw and prospects to pick up a dman, or see if they can pick up a dman for us for shaw and other prospects.  Even if we can't get a true #1 D, we are much better offensively and than Price can earn the bucks to make up for lack of depth on D.

Option 2: 

Either Drouin or Galchenyuk or Drouin is the centre, the other is the winger:

Maxpac - Galcheyuk - Radulov

Drouin - xxxxx - Gallaghar

Byron - Danault - Mccarron/Hudon

Same D and strategy for Shaw, Pleks and Emelin.

This option still leaves us a whole on defence.

If MB followed this type of path, then for once he is getting out of this revolving door of lateral moves and makes us stronger.

Lastly, under no circumstance should Jullson be move now unless it is as part of a package for a better Defensive prospect or young early 20's dman with a higher ceiling.

If all MB does is bring in Drouin by trading a guy who could be a #1D and than trade Galchenyuk for a "meh" dman like Brodin than we are living groundhog day again.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Duchene is better in only one area... faceoffs. 

Defensively he is just as bad. 

He's also used on the wing a lot. 
Point totals and goal totals in the last two years favor Chuck. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Let's not forget that Duchene is 4 years older and at least 4 inches shorter then Chucky!

20 minutes ago, DON said:

That would be a horrible trade.

3 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

To think Sakic wanted Sergachev and Galchenyuk for Duchene. Holy!

well he was dealing with MB, so he thought he would bite...

I think any deal that moves maxpac or galchenyuk without another top offensive player coming back is going to make the Drouin trade end upping another pointless lateral move.

Well said! I completely agree!

3 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Let's not forget that Duchene is 4 years older and at least 4 inches shorter then Chucky!

I don't care about the shorter, but yeah, he is older, doesn't have the same skill set and is older.  Did i say he is older?