Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

Drouin could be complete dynamite and it won't do shit for our cup chances.

We have a God awful d core. We're still relying on a now even older Markov, a Beaulieu who has not displayed offensive creativity and continues to give the weakest giveaways I've seen on our lineup. Weber still will be strong but he has no partner. Hoping go God Petry can find it in himself to become a credible 2. The lack of breakout passes hurt my eyes... maybe drouin can carry it out?

Oh and we are banking on danault being great again... otherwise we don't have a two way center to help them.

Positives: Gallagher should be better, love Lehkonen, if we keep Radulove... him and Drouin will make hockey exciting to watch. We also have the best goalie in the world... if they take away the trapezoid he can be our breakout pass :D

(We better be getting a wicked two way center or ,preferable a Dman who can move andnpass)

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I seriously don'T get why everyone has such a hard on for Duchene? Yeah, he's good, but I still think Chucky will be better!

Because he is a top six centre, one of best faceoff guys in league, in his prime (26) and signed for a reasonable $6m for a few more years. And need centres not wingers, if Aves should toss in anything extra to even up deal I don't know, but doubt it would happen.

(and the French name dosent hurt for local acceptance, also like Drouin, he grew up a Hab fan)

I kind of want to keep Galchenyuk now that we've made this trade but Duchene being four years older is a weird reason not to make the trade. 

Just out of curiosity, how much older is Drouin than Sergachev? I now know the answer. 22-18=x

It's not that I have a hard on for Duchene but both he and Galchenyuk are solid players. I'd love to see him on the Habs. 

Just now, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I kind of want to keep Galchenyuk now that we've made this trade but Duchene being four years older is a weird reason not to make the trade. 

Just out of curiosity, how much older is Drouin than Sergachev? I now know the answer. 22-18=x

It's not that I have a hard on for Duchene but other he and Galchenyuk are solid players. I'd love to see him on the Habs. 

there is a big difference between a 26 year old who is pretty much close to what he is going to be.   By 26 a player usually had completed his delveopment.  At 23, Galchenyuk still has further development and time to reach his potential.  There is much more upside and time for Galchenyuk to realize his upside versus Duschane.

11 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Galchenyuk is done... we went out and got another #27.

Drouin wore #72 in the press conference.

But yes, I still expect him traded.  I'd rather keep him though. 

21 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Cant wait to watch drouin race byron...

Drouin is fast, but I'm sure Byron is faster. 

Byron is up there with anyone in the NHL... like McDavid speed.  He just doesn't have the ability to carry the puck and make plays at that speed like McDavid does... or the hockey sense, or the rest of the overall package. 

But straight line speed.... Byron, McDavid, Grabner, Larkin, these seem to be the league's fastest guys to me. 

After everything, we should still offer sheet Drasaitl (9.8x5), and then trade Galchenyuk+scherbak and another second for Brodin+Granlund. (After the expansion draft)

Pacioretty - Draisaitl - Radulov

Drouin - Granlund - Gallagher

How you like me now top 6

edit: realized if Brodin is to be traded, it'll happen before the draft, which means we'd be losing something pretty valuable like Beaulieu, barring other trades.

Protect: Pacioretty, Drouin, Radulov, Gallagher, Grandlund, Draisaitl, and

Hudon/Byron/Shaw.

Petry, Weber, Brodin.

Top 9 

Pacioretty-Draisaitl-Radulov

Drouin-Granlund-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Shaw

Top 6

Markov - Weber

Brodin - Petry

Emelin - Benn

This simply assumes we lose Beaulieu to Vegas. 

9 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Let's not forget that Duchene is 4 years older and at least 4 inches shorter then Chucky!

3 yrs and 3 inches (being smaller likely helps him be a faster skater), however Galchenyuk being bigger still hasn't stopped him from being injured more often (all of 11-12, 20gms in 13-14 and 20gms in 16-17), unlike Duchene who has missed 25gms in last 5 years. And Galchenyuk isn't a physical player who uses his size too any advantage, so those 3 inches mean little, other than being slower.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Byron is up there with anyone in the NHL... like McDavid speed.  He just doesn't have the ability to carry the puck and make plays at that speed like McDavid does... or the hockey sense, or the rest of the overall package. 

But straight line speed.... Byron, McDavid, Grabner, Larkin, these seem to be the league's fastest guys to me. 

Duchene & Mackinnon are no Green, Crankshaft or Ludwig neither?

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Top 9 

Pacioretty-Draisaitl-Radulov

Drouin-Granlund-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Shaw

Top 6

Markov - Weber

Brodin - Petry

Emelin - Benn

This simply assumes we lose Beaulieu to Vegas. 

Factoring in some projected contracts for the other free agents, by the time you add in the goalies, this group would have a cap hit of about $74-75 million with still as many as six roster spots to fill.  (And Plekanec is still around too as you didn't move him in your hypothetical so it's closer to $80-81 million with five spots to fill.)

Yeah, I broadly agree with Habs29's analysis above. The idea of getting an impact defenceman for Galy does have some appeal to me, though. But there may be other ways of shoring up the blueline than dealing away a 23-year-old 30-goal scorer. And I don't believe that we will be able to deal Galy, at least not straight up, for a comparably talented or productive C. I do NOT want him traded for some 55-point guy who is 'more defensively reliable. and better on faceoffs.' A team should be able to acquire such pedestrian assets without coughing up an asset like Galy. Besides, if Drouin can play C, then it's not even clear we need to. 

The rumours swirling around Galy don't really make sense, unless we get back a C who is close to a PPG guy.

Bottom line: a team starved for offence should not define Galy as a 'problem.'

I would approach Galy and Drouin as versatile players, either of whom can play C at any given time. Then I'd look to add a half-decent 2nd line C to further bolster the middle, if possible. But I don't understand the big rush to deal away Galchenyuk.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

My money on Miles Wood from NJ.

If the 75 million cap number from mirtle is accurate. 

You have 19 million to spend and Radulov, Galchenyuk, Makov, Beaulieu to sign, to arrive at this lineup. 

pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher

lehkonen - Chucky (or replacement via trade) - Radulov

byron - danault - Shaw

hudon - mitchell - Mccarron

Extra: JDLR

Beaulieu (or replacement) - Weber

Markov - Petry

Emelin - Benn

Extra: Jerabek - Davidson

Price 

Montoya.

Now the gymnastics of it all..... 

Plekanec to Vegas (save 6 million).

You have 25 million to spend.

High side estimates.... Markov 5.5, Chucky (or replacement via trade) 6.0, Radulov 6.5

You now have 7 million to spend.   You can replace Beaulieu with a $6 million defenceman and still have about 1 million in the kitty for callups to replace injuries

This team has the cap space to get done what they need to do.   Do they have the assets to make the trades is the only question. 

Bergevin must have a deal in place with Vegas for Plekanec or possibly Emelin to clear up cap space.

Otherwise one of Galchenyuk or Radulov will not be back.

If Galchenyuk is to be traded and Plekanec is gone, Bergy must bring in a centre. There is no guarantee Drouin can fill the centre role. 

What use would it be to bring in a top dman in trade when you still have glaring holes a centre?

If Galchenyuk is traded, it's reasonable to assume Drouin can score ~25 goals but you now lost Galchenyuks ~25 goals. Is it fair to ask Gallagher and Lehkonen to up their goal totals to make the offence that's required? Especially without a legit centre?

Clearly the defense needs a puck moving dman. How does that get addressed?

So many questions. Should be an exciting next few days.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Factoring in some projected contracts for the other free agents, by the time you add in the goalies, this group would have a cap hit of about $74-75 million with still as many as six roster spots to fill.  (And Plekanec is still around too as you didn't move him in your hypothetical so it's closer to $80-81 million with five spots to fill.)

Guess it isn't realistic, although if you somehow managed to straight up trade the contracts, say plekanec to vegas for a 7th, and the same idea for Emelin that's what you have to do. That would clear 10 mill.

I mean ain't gonna happen but I'm just dreamin

9 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

If there is no deal in place with Vegas to take Plekanec's 6M$,  I'll jump on the fire MB train.

Safe to say the next few hours could be decisive for Bergevin's future. If he f**ks up the asset game that Galchenyuk represents, it should - by rights - prove fatal.

(One thing about the Drouin trade that hasn't been played up much is that it may have been as much about saving MB's hide as anything else. Given the PR disaster around the Subban trade, bringing in a star French Canadian helps to re-establish goodwill with the fanbase).

Guest Stogey24
6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Safe to say the next few hours could be decisive for Bergevin's future. If he f**ks up the asset game that Galchenyuk represents, it should - by rights - prove fatal.

(One thing about the Drouin trade that hasn't been played up much is that it may have been as much about saving MB's hide as anything else. Given the PR disaster around the Subban trade, bringing in a star French Canadian helps to re-establish goodwill with the fanbase).

F that. I'll never forgive him for the Subban trade :angry:

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

F that. I'll never forgive him for the Subban trade :angry:

Oh, I'm with you. It was an idiotic move and will always be an idiotic move, completely, unforgivably dumb. But I'm talking about the francophone fan-base. I don't think French fans are dumb by any means - they know the Subban trade was asinine, and will not suddenly forget about that because Drouin is here. Nevertheless, Drouin is a PR coup and, if he produces, will be an instant fan favourite going forward because he's French. Like I say, it helps staunch the bleeding from a PR standpoint.

• Upvote 1

Sergachev will be 19 years old on June 25th and Drouin turned 22 in March. So he's basically 3 years and 3 months older...

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, I'm with you. It was an idiotic move and will always be an idiotic move, completely, unforgivably dumb. But I'm talking about the francophone fan-base. I don't think French fans are dumb by any means - they know the Subban trade was asinine, and will not suddenly forget about that because Drouin is here. Nevertheless, Drouin is a PR coup and, if he produces, will be an instant fan favourite going forward because he's French. Like I say, it helps staunch the bleeding from a PR standpoint.

Doesn't matter about the fan base - French or English.  The French fan base isn't the problem - they want to win.  It's the French media that he has to win over.  The rds (which used to include Le genius and Mario tremblay) and Bertrand tremblay are the issue.  Those clowns would have been happy with a Subban for drouin straight up trade last year.