2017-18 Line-up

nihilz

26 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

No, just no 

Drouin feeding Weber the puck could be deadly 

Also, Galchenyuk scored several beauties from the Right Point last season, maybe a double threat situation from the One Timer from either point is something to look into.

Galchenyuk and Weber are as capable of setting eachother up for one timers as they are capable of scoring them from those areas, they both showed that last season anyway, maybe something to look into or experiment with. 

p.s I didn't even want to dignify the suggestion with a response, but here it goes, Weber, under no circumstance other than Injury, is to have no other place during the PP other than Left Point on the 1st unit, that's it that's all.

4 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Also, Galchenyuk scored several beauties from the Right Point last season, maybe a double threat situation from the One Timer from either point is something to look into.

Galchenyuk and Weber are as capable of setting eachother up for one timers as they are capable of scoring them from those areas, they both showed that last season anyway, maybe something to look into or experiment with. 

p.s I didn't even want to dignify the suggestion with a response, but here it goes, Weber, under no circumstance other than Injury, is to have no other place during the PP other than Left Point on the 1st unit, that's it that's all.

I'd put him at the left point... but I could see a coach wanting him at the top of an umbrella, in the middle of three men high (basically where i would put drouin)... 

but yeah, he should always be on the 1st PP unit. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm Chicoutimi Cucumber and I endorse this message

(In all seriousness, even if it were a good idea to move Weber around like that - which it's not - the Habs are much too stodgy an organization for that sort of radical thinking. Weber will be on the first unit PP until he is no more good at it, and even then, he'll probably stay there until long past the point where he shouldn't, both because of coaching conservatism/linear thinking, and because the Habs have no one else capable of doing it, anywhere in their system).

My main thinking is solely related to also having Weber on a PK unit and managing the minutes of an expensive, and aging, defenseman.  The regular season and playoffs are a long haul...

Lots of defencemen can handle the PK.  Heck, on the PK, Benn is almost as good as Weber.  At 5v5 or PP Benn isn't close... but just PK work, he's close. Alzner is also going to be a good PKer, and so is Schlemko. 

Not as many can do what Shea Weber does on the PP. 

PP are also much easier, much, much easier minutes on a defenceman's body than PK minutes are... (no blocking shots, no chasing the puck, Weber isn't battling in front of the net on the PP).

Basically if you want to cut a defenceman's minutes, PP is never the area that should be cut. 

• Upvote 1

That was a through bit on Jerabek 'David' wrote for home page. Wonder how his game will translate from big ice surface? Start season on 3rd pairing with Benn/Schlemko and then move up to be Petry's partner on 2nd pairing?

A 4th good PP d-man will be nice to have, adding to Weber-Petry-Strait.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Link67 said:

pretty sad that the guy using the walker was still the 2nd most important dman on this team, what does that tell ya 

Maybe that we better hope 26yr old Jerabek can help on the offense and be a Byron-type steal at $1m/yr. :pray:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

If you are putting a forward on the point of the PP, its not Weber who is leaving. 

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Weber - Drouin

Gallagher: go to the net.

Galchenyuk... Right circle one-timers from Drouin

Weber... Left circle one-timers from Drouin
Pacioretty: slot

Drouin:  Quarterback

That sounds exciting

A couple of minor adjustments to my starting lineup for 2018:

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin

Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Byron - Plekanec - Shaw

Hudon - Mitchell - Hemsky

De La Rose, Holland

Alzner - Weber

Schlemko - Petry

Davidson - Benn

Streit

Price

Montoya

Of course, this could change depending on what MB does with his $8.5M in cap space.

Honestly just not a fan of Drouin being on the second line, I'm pretty well set on Pacioretty Galchenyuk Drouin as a stacked top line, it needs to be tried first and given a serious look before anything else is tried as a top line, imo.

16 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Honestly just not a fan of Drouin being on the second line, I'm pretty well set on Pacioretty Galchenyuk Drouin as a stacked top line, it needs to be tried first and given a serious look before anything else is tried as a top line, imo.

It's certainly an exciting trio to ponder but that's basically having all of your eggs in one basket offensively.  I can see the logic behind keeping one of them on a second line and then putting the big three together in late period or late game situations.

I love the idea of Lehks and Drouin playing together... prefer Galchenyuk between them though. 

Pacs and Drouin have been spending a lot of time training together in the off-season so I wouldnt be surprised to see those two start together. 

10 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I love the idea of Lehks and Drouin playing together... prefer Galchenyuk between them though. 

Pacs and Drouin have been spending a lot of time training together in the off-season so I wouldnt be surprised to see those two start together. 

Same here, I think Lekhonen has the smart and speed to keep up with Drouin.

Lots of interesting lines combination in this thread. The truth is that combinations change a lot in the season , if not during a game. We'll end seeing most of them.

The lines will revolved around duos that click. The 3rd guy will shuffle depending of the opposition. As @Zowpeb said, I see Hemsky playing on the top 2 lines. Maybe not for 20 min/game but that's where he can be effective. Playing a couple shift on a top line, then seeing Shaw play one to add intensity.

Duos I look forward to see:

Plekanec - Hemsky (we've been waiting for that duo for more than a decade)

Drouin - Lekhonen

Drouin - Galchenyuk

Drouin - Pacioretty

If Pacioretty and Drouin develop indeed a good chemistry it would be very promising. Finally a real first line?

9 minutes ago, sakiqc said:

Same here, I think Lekhonen has the smart and speed to keep up with Drouin.

Lots of interesting lines combination in this thread. The truth is that combinations change a lot in the season , if not during a game. We'll end seeing most of them.

The lines will revolved around duos that click. The 3rd guy will shuffle depending of the opposition. As @Zowpeb said, I see Hemsky playing on the top 2 lines. Maybe not for 20 min/game but that's where he can be effective. Playing a couple shift on a top line, then seeing Shaw play one to add intensity.

Duos I look forward to see:

Plekanec - Hemsky (we've been waiting for that duo for more than a decade)

Drouin - Lekhonen

Drouin - Galchenyuk

Drouin - Pacioretty

If Pacioretty and Drouin develop indeed a good chemistry it would be very promising. Finally a real first line?

I think you're mixing up Hemsky and Jagr...  ;)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's certainly an exciting trio to ponder but that's basically having all of your eggs in one basket offensively.  I can see the logic behind keeping one of them on a second line and then putting the big three together in late period or late game situations.

I'm with you on this one.

Pax - Gachenyuk - Hemsky
Lehkonen - Drouin - Gallagher

Danault - Plekanek - Byron

Hudon - McCarron or Mitchell - Shaw

Martinsen/McCarron or Mitchell/DLR

I don't want Danault in the top 6.  Having him with Pleks and Byron gives us one of the best shutdown line in the entire league, IMO.  At least at home.

Agreed on Hemsky. Despite the low price tag, he wasn't signed to be a 4th liner. I think at minimum, he'll be a 3rd liner with Plex/Danault centering him. I think he was a 12-13 minute forward in Dallas when he wasn't hurt, which to me would spell a third line role if his usage is similar under Julien. At least as a third liner, he has the ability to spot fill on the 1/2 lines if needed.

6 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I'm with you on this one.

Pax - Gachenyuk - Hemsky
Lehkonen - Drouin - Gallagher

Danault - Plekanek - Byron

Hudon - McCarron or Mitchell - Shaw

Martinsen/McCarron or Mitchell/DLR

I don't want Danault in the top 6.  Having him with Pleks and Byron gives us one of the best shutdown line in the entire league, IMO.  At least at home.

Danault earned his top 6 spot last season, he did nothing to deserve being moved to wing on the 3rd line. I don't want him to be a top line center, but I have no problem with him offering 40+ points a season from the second line. He showed he could play with some quality wingers, do the dirty work for his line and compliment different type of players in valiant fashion.

Though I do like a lot of different combinations I see suggested, If i had to pick one to start with as experiment #1 i'm sticking with this to see how it goes.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky

Hudon - McCarron - Shaw

Alzner - Weber

Schlemko - Petry

Streit/Jerabek - Benn

• Upvote 1

I'll chime in on the lines

Pacioretty Danault Byron 

Drouin Galchenyuk Shaw (need some defense and grit)

Lehkonien Pleks Gallagher (were probably the best line in the short playoffs)

Martinson MCCarron Hemsky (could flip Hemsky Byron, but i think Hemsky gets injured or the doghouse quickly)  

Hudon

Alzner Weber

Schlemko Petry

Jerebek / Morrow Benn

I think Streit gets waived after preseason

• 2 weeks later...

The wild cards in this lineup seem to be Hemsky and Jerabek. Regarding the latter: based on the moves to this point, we can only conclude that either MB suffers from a bizarre ailment that makes him recoil at the sight of puck-moving defencemen, or he feels that this rookie can somehow replace most of what Markov brought. This seems incredible to me, but what do I know. As for Hemsky, if he rebounds back to his earlier form as roughly a 40-point guy, he will add some scoring depth that will be disproportionately valuable to a club that has even fewer offensive tools than last season's farcical popguns. These will be intriguing players to keep our eyes on.

13 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

I can't shake the opinion that we might take a step back this year. As in, not make the playoffs.

TB and FLA are due for huge jumps and the Metro may be better.

Anyone else with the same thoughts?

I think the Habs are still a playoff team.  Tampa should be better but there's no reason to expect much improvement out of Florida who has gotten a fair bit worse this summer.  Toronto's another pretty safe bet but after that, there are a lot of question marks.  Is Ottawa really one of the top teams in the East or did they get hot at the right time?  Is Boston better than a bubble team?  (I don't think so - they'll battle for a WC spot but probably not a top-three.)  Are the Sabres ready to take the next step forward or will they still be on the outside looking in?  And then there's Detroit, who everyone expects to be out of it in a hurry.  The Metropolitan is strong but the Atlantic still isn't that good.

29 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

I can't shake the opinion that we might take a step back this year. As in, not make the playoffs.

TB and FLA are due for huge jumps and the Metro may be better.

Anyone else with the same thoughts?

NO, of course there isn't!