Habs announce training camp roster

dlbalr

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm interested to see how mete does in preseason games. He is a dynamic young Feller. 

He is a good 1.5 or 2yrs away from prime time, so how he does vs split squads I don't think will tell you much at this stage of his development. If you want to pay attention to a young d-man, I would/will pay more attention to Juulsen & Lernout instead.

In 3 months, the world juniors should be a better test vs his peers, to see how Mete sits in his development and also would be sweet to see him produce at 1.0ppg or better in London this year.

14 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I'dalmost guarantee Gelinas signs some type of deal with Habs 

I think a lot of that will be determined by who gets through waivers.  If someone like Morrow, Redmond, or Taormina gets claimed, they might turn around and sign Gelinas and then run him through waivers to have as depth.  If they all make it through though, I can't see them wanting to use one of their remaining contracts on someone who would slot in somewhere around 10th or 11th on the depth chart.  An AHL contract would be preferable at that point where he could sign an NHL deal if/when injuries come up.

Remember, Gelinas couldn't crack the worst defensive corps in the NHL last season, cleared waivers, and then somehow managed to be even worse in the minors.  If he's on the NHL roster to start the season, that's probably not a good thing.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think a lot of that will be determined by who gets through waivers.  If someone like Morrow, Redmond, or Taormina gets claimed, they might turn around and sign Gelinas and then run him through waivers to have as depth.  If they all make it through though, I can't see them wanting to use one of their remaining contracts on someone who would slot in somewhere around 10th or 11th on the depth chart.  An AHL contract would be preferable at that point where he could sign an NHL deal if/when injuries come up.

Remember, Gelinas couldn't crack the worst defensive corps in the NHL last season, cleared waivers, and then somehow managed to be even worse in the minors.  If he's on the NHL roster to start the season, that's probably not a good thing.

I wasn't upset with his play honestly. He'd be fine on the bottom pair. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

He didn't do anything worse than Petry out there.

I'dalmost guarantee Gelinas signs some type of deal with Habs 

He wasn't worse than Petry?  I don't think we watched the same game. 

I know you hate petry, but this is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Also to consider.  If everyone clears waivers and guys like Holland, Froese, Redmond, Taormina, Morrow, etc are in the minors.... we have to wonder if the Habs have enough AHL veteran room to put Gelinas in the lineup, or will one vet have to be a rotating healthy scratch to meet the AHL roster rules. 

54 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I wasn't upset with his play honestly. He'd be fine on the bottom pair. 

He wasn't the worst defenceman on the ice yesterday but count me among those that didn't think he played particularly well.  He is an extreme defensive liability and has been for years now.  That's not magically going to change all of a sudden.  He can shoot but that alone shouldn't have him in a regular NHL role.  Two teams tried that and it didn't work.

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Also to consider.  If everyone clears waivers and guys like Holland, Froese, Redmond, Taormina, Morrow, etc are in the minors.... we have to wonder if the Habs have enough AHL veteran room to put Gelinas in the lineup, or will one vet have to be a rotating healthy scratch to meet the AHL roster rules. 

Morrow won't count against the veteran limit as he's only at 251 pro games and the first threshold is 260 (as of the start of the year).  I've got Terry, Holland, Taormina, and Redmond counting towards the five 320+ veterans while Froese is in the 260-319 category so there should be room for one more.

I'm surprised Taormina isn't on waivers today as well - they haven't given him a sniff of action so far and he's not going to push for a spot so since Redmond is on waivers (no shocker), I figured he also would have hit the wire.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He wasn't worse than Petry?  I don't think we watched the same game. 

I know you hate petry, but this is ridiculous. 

My opinion of Petry is definetly biased 

Considering the lines at practice it seems that Audette has jumped over a lot of players in this camp.  While that is good for Audette it's probably whats frustrating Julien right now.  De La Rose, McCarron, and Scherbak really haven't shown anything thus far outside of a good shift here and there.  The way I see it between those 3 and the AHL vets no on really has earned the 13th forward spot or done enough to push out someone from the 4th line.

Lets see if Julien calling them out yesterday and a few cuts wake anyone up.  If they keep this up and Mete breaks camp I wouldn't be shocked to see them go with 7 D in a few games if a forward is hurt.

2 hours ago, Habinator33 said:

Considering the lines at practice it seems that Audette has jumped over a lot of players in this camp.  While that is good for Audette it's probably whats frustrating Julien right now.  De La Rose, McCarron, and Scherbak really haven't shown anything thus far outside of a good shift here and there.  The way I see it between those 3 and the AHL vets no on really has earned the 13th forward spot or done enough to push out someone from the 4th line.

Lets see if Julien calling them out yesterday and a few cuts wake anyone up.  If they keep this up and Mete breaks camp I wouldn't be shocked to see them go with 7 D in a few games if a forward is hurt.

I agree. I've had McCaron on pretty much all of my starting lineup proposals but Mitchell would probably make my lineup as of right now.... and Mitchell was my whipping boy last year so I don't really feel like that's a good thing. His speed is an asset though. 

I also have liked what I've seen from Audette. He look like someone who has taken showing something unexpected in camp to heart. I don't know much about him but he has offensive potential.

4 hours ago, Habinator33 said:

I think Holland/Mitchell are going to start the year as 4th line centre/13th forward. 

I think both beat the kids. 

Based on what Julien has done

Patch - Drouin - Hemsky

Chuck - Danault - Gallagher
Hudon - Plek - Lehk
Byron - Mitchell/Holland - Shaw