2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree with that. 

Its the people here who want to hand him the 2022 Norris already, that I disagree with. 

Maybe he'll get to that level, but its not a guarantee. 

Didn’t you also think our D would be better this year and we’d be as good as last year?

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t you also think our D would be better this year and we’d be as good as last year?

1) No, i thought the D would be worse. 

2) I thought the offense would be better and the team would be about the same. 

I made a mistake assessing the team, what is your point? Does that make my current opinion invalid?

At I admit my mistakes..... Have you ever made one? Should we ignore all of your opinions?

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't think anyone on this planet thought this D would be better, Heck even Bergevin was probably just spewing positive vibe B.S at the golf tournament. There was no denying Markov being gone and not properly replaced was going to cause its issues, and it has. Our best case scenario was a lateral change back there, no chance of getting better, and obviously we actually got worse.

52 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I don't think anyone on this planet thought this D would be better, Heck even Bergevin was probably just spewing positive vibe B.S at the golf tournament. There was no denying Markov being gone and not properly replaced was going to cause its issues, and it has. Our best case scenario was a lateral change back there, no chance of getting better, and obviously we actually got worse.

Hey, I kept on reading how Alzner and Schelmko would improve our defence and how there was no reason we couldn't be as good as last year with alzner/schlemko taking over the Emelin/Beaulieu spots and how much of a boon Drouin would be to the offence. Well Alzner/Schlemko have 9 points between them, while Emelin/Beaulieu have 12.  And Drouin... lets not go there.

58 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Bergevin was very high on Benn. Like people already forgot the top four defenceman talk. Alzner was hyped as a top four defenceman as well who can play first pair as he did in Washington. You add the underrated Schlemko and Stanley Cup winning Streit and that's why Bergevin thought he improved from Markov/Beaulieu/Emelin/Pateryn. He knew he couldn't replace Markov but the other guys would make up for the loss.

The issue too many forgot is when Markov was a hab the team was still down one left handed defenceman who could crunch top four minutes. So losing Markov meant they now needed two. And Bergevin thought Benn and Alzner would do it. Then they got too excited about Mete. Now they are stuck with the original analysis. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hey, I kept on reading how Alzner and Schelmko would improve our defence and how there was no reason we couldn't be as good as last year with alzner/schlemko taking over the Emelin/Beaulieu spots and how much of a boon Drouin would be to the offence. Well Alzner/Schlemko have 9 points between them, while Emelin/Beaulieu have 12.  And Drouin... lets not go there.

That is all fine and dandy, but you seem to have completely forgotten how attrocious Emelin was playing for nearly a month during the back half of last season, you forget how unreliable and inconsistent Beaulieu was and always will be. The loss of those guys is insignificant, Alzner has been an even bigger disappointment than anticipated, which hasn't helped any original sentiments on the D before the season started. Even still, What Alzner is giving us is no worse than what Emelin gave us last season, Schlemko has shown himself to be a serviceable 3rd pair guy who is not as cringe worthy to watch as Beaulieu was some nights. The problem is, and has been the day it was decided, is that Markov is no longer part of this D, and he was a part of it last season. The supporting cast around Weber, Markov, and Petry is of little consequence in comparison to losing one of your top 3 Dmen, your top puck mover, and one of your top leaders.

So we can dissect the I told You So's until we are all blue in the face, but the bottom line is, Markov being gone and nothing to show for it is the biggest hit this Blue line took, no amount of small upgrades to the supporting cast was going to properly make up for that loss, and the proof is in the pudding.

7 minutes ago, Link67 said:

That is all fine and dandy, but you seem to have completely forgotten how attrocious Emelin was playing for nearly a month during the back half of last season, you forget how unreliable and inconsistent Beaulieu was and always will be. The loss of those guys is insignificant, Alzner has been an even bigger disappointment than anticipated, which hasn't helped any original sentiments on the D before the season started. Even still, What Alzner is giving us is no worse than what Emelin gave us last season, Schlemko has shown himself to be a serviceable 3rd pair guy who is not as cringe worthy to watch as Beaulieu was some nights. The problem is, and has been the day it was decided, is that Markov is no longer part of this D, and he was a part of it last season. The supporting cast around Weber, Markov, and Petry is of little consequence in comparison to losing one of your top 3 Dmen, your top puck mover, and one of your top leaders.

So we can dissect the I told You So's until we are all blue in the face, but the bottom line is, Markov being gone and nothing to show for it is the biggest hit this Blue line took, no amount of small upgrades to the supporting cast was going to properly make up for that loss, and the proof is in the pudding.

It’s debatable whether Alzner is better than emelin.  What I do know is I’d rather have you he last year if emelin’s contract, rather than 5 friggin years of Alzner 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

are you really using two defencemen having 12 points to say they have been better than two defencemen who've combined for 9 points?

WOW

I’m dying  Hat the guy you thought was a big upgrade on emelin sucks. And under a different coach and system looks a hell of a lot better than the. The $35m man Alzner does.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DON said:

Ottawa 5 pts behind Habs but have 3 games in hand and Vancouver should beat the Jets eh?

The chances of ottawa winning all 3 of those games in hand is low. 

When its a race at the top of the standings, its hard enough to be 3/3

When its a race at the bottom, cause the teams are crap... its even harder to count on that. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

The chances of ottawa winning all 3 of those games in hand is low. 

When its a race at the top of the standings, its hard enough to be 3/3

When its a race at the bottom, cause the teams are crap... its even harder to count on that. 

I know and is months till end of season also. But just spitballing and cant hope they climb the standings, so Go Sens-Oil-Canucks Go...obviously Sabres and Arizona are untouchable and just are horrible.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Claim him fast!!11!

Honestly, what is there to lose? I would not be surprised if the story will be that Molson called MB asking for him to add the show attraction...

Jagr is done.  No NHL team will claim him, and he'll go back to Europe. 

As for what is there to lose.  I'd rather let our kids play than have Jagr in that spot down the stretch.  Lets see what Carr can do, what Scherbak brings, etc... 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic