Jump to content

2017-18 Rocket/Beast General Season Thread


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

Brampton lost to Toledo today 3-1 killing the six game winning streak. One-one game until three minutes left in the third. Connor Crisp on the Toledo roster and scored their first goal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought, but if Lefebvre doesn't get Laval into the playoffs in their first season... will he be fired?

 

Would that be what it would take? Or should I stop trying to find reasons and just succumb to the darkness?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Just a thought, but if Lefebvre doesn't get Laval into the playoffs in their first season... will he be fired?

 

Would that be what it would take? Or should I stop trying to find reasons and just succumb to the darkness?

 

He didn't get his team into the playoffs in four of his first five years and he didn't get let go then so why would that change now?  If you look at how Hudon has played this season, Scherbak's early progress before getting hurt, and even how Jerabek has fared since getting recalled, right now Bergevin could argue that the development is there (and has said that before despite evidence to the contrary) and as a team that 'claims' to be about development over winning (despite evidence to the contrary), there's his excuse to keep him around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

He didn't get his team into the playoffs in four of his first five years and he didn't get let go then so why would that change now?  If you look at how Hudon has played this season, Scherbak's early progress before getting hurt, and even how Jerabek has fared since getting recalled, right now Bergevin could argue that the development is there (and has said that before despite evidence to the contrary) and as a team that 'claims' to be about development over winning (despite evidence to the contrary), there's his excuse to keep him around.

 

Succumb to the darkness, got it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

He didn't get his team into the playoffs in four of his first five years and he didn't get let go then so why would that change now?  If you look at how Hudon has played this season, Scherbak's early progress before getting hurt, and even how Jerabek has fared since getting recalled, right now Bergevin could argue that the development is there (and has said that before despite evidence to the contrary) and as a team that 'claims' to be about development over winning (despite evidence to the contrary), there's his excuse to keep him around.

After so long now, it feels like Bergevin was and is of the thinking that AHL winning & playoff runs just isn't that important. But really, which guys should of developed better or quicker? Beaulieu, Scherbak, McCarron, delaRose? And likely is just more lack of footspeed or hands (and brainsmarts or hockey IQ) that held them back?

Edited by DON
Beaulieu is fast and good hands, but "hockey IQ" not so good.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DON said:

But really, which guys should of developed better or quicker? Beaulieu, Scherbak, McCarron, delaRose? And likely is just more lack of footspeed or hands (and brainsmarts or hockey IQ) that held them back?

4

 

Louis Leblanc went from a good prospect who held his own for half a season in Montreal to a virtual nobody a couple of years later.  Tinordi never really amounted to much, McCarron looks like a bottom six guy in the minors most nights, de la Rose never got much of a chance to improve his offensive game (Lefebvre isn't alone on the blame there though).  Beaulieu regressed in his second season in Hamilton under Lefebvre and still hasn't come close to being what he was supposed to in the NHL (though Lefebvre isn't alone to blame there either as at some point, Beaulieu has to realize that making the same mistakes over and over again is his fault).

 

Joonas Nattinen's best season came in his rookie year and then he started to slide.  Same with Patrick Holland.  Jeremy Gregoire looked like a solid bottom-six forward prospect coming out of junior and has done squat in the minors.  Brett Lernout is having a dreadful year when he was supposed to be someone that they could rely on for heavy minutes.  Mark MacMillan went from a big point producer in college to someone who did next to nothing in the pros.  Christian Thomas couldn't score playing for Lefebvre but has had no trouble producing once they let him go.  Max Friberg went from a top scorer on Anaheim's farm team to a middle-six winger for Lefebvre.  This group were all fringe prospects but there is a distinct lack of development or regression here.

 

And then there's the frequent benching of prospects in order to play complete non-prospects, something we've seen with regularity, including this season.  And then there was the deployment of Robert Mayer which was absolutely bewildering (and came at the expense of more talented goaltenders who, at the time, may have had a bit of upside).

 

Speaking of McCarron, he got cut behind the ear last night and is in a Syracuse hospital.  He won't play tonight.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

Louis Leblanc went from a good prospect who held his own for half a season in Montreal to a virtual nobody a couple of years later.  Tinordi never really amounted to much, McCarron looks like a bottom six guy in the minors most nights, de la Rose never got much of a chance to improve his offensive game (Lefebvre isn't alone on the blame there though).  Beaulieu regressed in his second season in Hamilton under Lefebvre and still hasn't come close to being what he was supposed to in the NHL (though Lefebvre isn't alone to blame there either as at some point, Beaulieu has to realize that making the same mistakes over and over again is his fault).

 

Joonas Nattinen's best season came in his rookie year and then he started to slide.  Same with Patrick Holland.  Jeremy Gregoire looked like a solid bottom-six forward prospect coming out of junior and has done squat in the minors.  Brett Lernout is having a dreadful year when he was supposed to be someone that they could rely on for heavy minutes.  Mark MacMillan went from a big point producer in college to someone who did next to nothing in the pros.  Christian Thomas couldn't score playing for Lefebvre but has had no trouble producing once they let him go.  Max Friberg went from a top scorer on Anaheim's farm team to a middle-six winger for Lefebvre.  This group were all fringe prospects but there is a distinct lack of development or regression here.

 

And then there's the frequent benching of prospects in order to play complete non-prospects, something we've seen with regularity, including this season.  And then there was the deployment of Robert Mayer which was absolutely bewildering (and came at the expense of more talented goaltenders who, at the time, may have had a bit of upside).

 

Speaking of McCarron, he got cut behind the ear last night and is in a Syracuse hospital.  He won't play tonight.

Well, when you put it like that it might sound bit poor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look I've said this before... but if you give a guy 20 prospects and all of them have a 10% chance of making the NHL, and he develops none of them into NHL players, then there is a coaching and development problem, even if you can't point to the one guy who was a sure thing and should have made it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

Louis Leblanc went from a good prospect who held his own for half a season in Montreal to a virtual nobody a couple of years later.  Tinordi never really amounted to much, McCarron looks like a bottom six guy in the minors most nights, de la Rose never got much of a chance to improve his offensive game (Lefebvre isn't alone on the blame there though).  Beaulieu regressed in his second season in Hamilton under Lefebvre and still hasn't come close to being what he was supposed to in the NHL (though Lefebvre isn't alone to blame there either as at some point, Beaulieu has to realize that making the same mistakes over and over again is his fault).

 

Joonas Nattinen's best season came in his rookie year and then he started to slide.  Same with Patrick Holland.  Jeremy Gregoire looked like a solid bottom-six forward prospect coming out of junior and has done squat in the minors.  Brett Lernout is having a dreadful year when he was supposed to be someone that they could rely on for heavy minutes.  Mark MacMillan went from a big point producer in college to someone who did next to nothing in the pros.  Christian Thomas couldn't score playing for Lefebvre but has had no trouble producing once they let him go.  Max Friberg went from a top scorer on Anaheim's farm team to a middle-six winger for Lefebvre.  This group were all fringe prospects but there is a distinct lack of development or regression here.

 

And then there's the frequent benching of prospects in order to play complete non-prospects, something we've seen with regularity, including this season.  And then there was the deployment of Robert Mayer which was absolutely bewildering (and came at the expense of more talented goaltenders who, at the time, may have had a bit of upside).

 

Speaking of McCarron, he got cut behind the ear last night and is in a Syracuse hospital.  He won't play tonight.

Excuse me sir, I think you dropped your mic'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

No announcement from the team but Daniel Carr has been sent back to Laval.

 

Is someone coming back from injury, or is this a yo-yo situation to give Laval some semblance of an offense?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Is someone coming back from injury, or is this a yo-yo situation to give Laval some semblance of an offense?

 

Drouin could be back but he only gets them to 12 forwards again.  I'm hoping this is just something to delay Carr's waiver clock and that he'll be recalled in advance of Tuesday's game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paper move. 

Carr was on regular recall which means he can be up for 10 games or 30 days before needing waivers to go back down. 

 

Now he is up on emergency recall.  (Drouin was put on IR retroactively today). 

 

So any games played from this point forward for Carr do not count to the 10/30 rule (until a forward comes off IR). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Paper move. 

Carr was on regular recall which means he can be up for 10 games or 30 days before needing waivers to go back down. 

 

Now he is up on emergency recall.  (Drouin was put on IR retroactively today). 

 

So any games played from this point forward for Carr do not count to the 10/30 rule (until a forward comes off IR). 

 

As of this morning, the Habs were telling the press that he wasn't on IR.  Has that changed since then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

As of this morning, the Habs were telling the press that he wasn't on IR.  Has that changed since then?

 

My bad.  I read this, this morning
 


 

 

 

 

Which was later corrected and I missed it.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Vallorani has returned from a part season in Sweden to the Beast and was a big part of a shoot out win over the Worcester Railers (NY Islanders ECHL affiliate) today. They did hold a 3-1 lead early in the third but a succession of penalties to the Beast lead to the Railers tying the game late in the third. Goalie for Brampton today was Ottawa prospect Marcus Hogberg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beast beat Kalamazoo 5-4 in OT tonite in K'zoo. Vallorani with the o/t winner. D'Agostini in goal. Beast play Atlanta Gladiators Sunday afternoon at home. Former Habs prospect and Junior Star Brady Vail  is on the Glads roster. Atlanta is a Boston farm club and were formerly known as Gwinnett (sp?)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

nice 3-1 win by Brampton today over the Atlanta Gladiators. Rough game vs the Boston ECHL club. Former Hab Prospect Brady Vail was on the Atlanta roster and was a non factor. Brampton goalie Hogberg was one of the stars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zach Fucale reassigned to Brampton ECHL today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

after winning in Wheeling last night 3-1 with Hogberg in goal, they are currently behind Saturday in Wheeling 4-0 early in the third with Fucale in goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I wonder how long Fucale will be down there this time.  With the Habs shopping him hard in trade talks, I have to think someone will take a chance on him before too long.

 

I'm thinking he doesn't get moved until the 28th at the earliest.

 

Just a gut feeling he has 4 days of safety, for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brampton split a pair in Wheeling just before Christmas and also in Greensville SC after Christmas. I believe Fucale was 1 and 2 in his appearances

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • dlbalr unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...