November 14th: Cannons @ Habs

Commandant

1 minute ago, sim.on said:

Bone head move from Petry is the norm unfortunately.

If I'm the coach, I'm starting Weber Drouin Galchenyuk every OT.

CJ loves starting with Plek and Byron

Byron was very good tonight. I would have started him too. His speed is an advantage 3 on 3

6 minutes ago, sim.on said:

Bone head move from Petry is the norm unfortunately.

If I'm the coach, I'm starting Weber Drouin Galchenyuk every OT.

CJ loves starting with Plek and Byron

Byron makes sense given his speed, but yeah, I don't understand the logic in not letting Drouin out there until well into OT.

Entertaining third, but basically another boring, mediocre outing from les boys. Alzner looked like a bit of a gong-show, and Petry too. A whole lot of dough wrapped up into those guys...not that MB would know what to do with it anyway.

Just now, Trizzak said:

I don't understand Julien's continuing love affair with starting OT with Byron and Plekanec. Play your best players against their best players. OT isn't a time for defensive line matching.

I logged in to say something like this, but with some  Fwords here and there.

1 minute ago, JoeLassister said:

I logged in to say something like this, but with some  Fwords here and there.

Don't let me stop you. I encourage everyone to let off some steam after watching ~10 minutes of exciting hockey, ~50 minutes of paint drying, and 1:09 of Julien thinking a sprint is a marathon.

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Don't let me stop you. I encourage everyone to let off some steam after watching ~10 minutes of exciting hockey, ~50 minutes of paint drying, and 1:09 of Julien thinking a sprint is a marathon.

The Habs still seem not to have gotten the memo that Pleks is washed up as an offensive threat. He's on a 24-point pace, which of course makes him an ideal fit for this organization.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I guess I'll take 1 point. 

Sucks cause we outplayed them. 

Really?  We outplayed them?  Unless you are talking about the 3rd period alone, I have a hard time seeing how you drew that conclusion.  In the 1st and 2nd periods, I saw a soft as mush effort from our team that saw Columbus getting the more dangerous chances, and Bobrovsky handling just a few shots that had any chance at all.

15 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Bob was really good on a couple of those plays. A win tonight would have jumped over 4 teams in the  standings

He is really good...which is why you have to bring the level of attack we had in the 3rd for the whole game if you want to win.

5 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Really?  We outplayed them?  Unless you are talking about the 3rd period alone, I have a hard time seeing how you drew that conclusion.  In the 1st and 2nd periods, I saw a soft as mush effort from our team that saw Columbus getting the more dangerous chances, and Bobrovsky handling just a few shots that had any chance at all.

We didn't get a lot of scoring chances in the first 30 minutes... but we didn't give up many scoring chances outside of the goal, either.   We got very little offense, but at the same time gave up nothing defensively.  The first 30 minutes was even imo. 

After the Byron breakaway we got way more chances than they did. 

The stats across the board support this.... xG, CF%, FF%, Scoring Chances, etc... 

So yes, we were the better team in a game that was boring for 30-35 minutes. 

13 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I'd say it was pretty close overall:

Columbus was better in the 1st.

Neither team did anything in the 2nd.

Montreal was a lot better in the 3rd.

OT lasted all of two shifts.

It seems to me that this team has had a habit of 'outplaying' the opposition and failing to score enough goals, or win enough games, that goes back to the 2015 Tampa series. 

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd say it was pretty close overall:

Columbus was better in the 1st.

Neither team did anything in the 2nd.

Montreal was a lot better in the 3rd.

OT lasted all of two shifts.

xG is what i really look at to see who outplayed each other in a single game.  Habs had this one 3.04 - 2.4

Interestingly, on the season Columbus has the best xG differential in the NHL, they are a damn good team. 

Habs are fifth, still underperforming their stats, even though we are now almost back to 500. 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It seems to me that this team has had a habit of 'outplaying' the opposition and failing to score enough goals, or win enough games, that goes back to the 2015 Tampa series. 

We've gotten it back together though... 7-3-1 in the last 11 games. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

We've gotten it back together though... 7-3-1 in the last 11 games. 

Sure, in the last 11 games. But I haven't seen too much this season to suggest that the end game for this group will be any different from past years: lots of head-shaking about 'puck luck' and how they 'just couldn't get that timely goal.' Now maybe CJ's coaching will make the difference, but I suspect that a popgun offence is a popgun offence.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sure, in the last 11 games. But I haven't seen too much this season to suggest that the end game for this group will be any different from past years: lots of head-shaking about 'puck luck' and how they 'just couldn't get that timely goal.' Now maybe CJ's coaching will make the difference, but I suspect that a popgun offence is a popgun offence.

Agreed there. Back to no scoring, 7 goals in the last 5 games. We know a .957 save percentage isn't sustainable from Lindgren, and that's what it's taken from him to have three wins and two losses.

34 minutes ago, huzer said:

Agreed there. Back to no scoring, 7 goals in the last 5 games. We know a .957 save percentage isn't sustainable from Lindgren, and that's what it's taken from him to have three wins and two losses.

The 957 isn't sustainable but neither is 7 in 5. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They are the same team they were.  Good enough to get to the dance, not good enough to win it all. 

54 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I like it as well. I just think it should be worth 1 point.  Not 2. It is not a team win.

If that's worth 1, then a shootout win should be worth 0.5 because it could be argued that that's even less of a "team win". 

I'm fine with how it is for the record.