Nov. 22, Habs vs Predators, 8 PM

dlbalr

23 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

So 13 points each and Tampa is a better team? 

my math has Sergeche at 14 and he is a Dman.  You'd expect the forward to produce more.

• Upvote 1

Are we seriously comparing Sergachev on the Lightning with Drouin on this struggling team? Who cares.. move on.

Sergs numbers wouldn't be nearly as good on this team, and Drouin's would be better on the Lightning. Apples and Oranges people 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Are we seriously comparing Sergachev on the Lightning with Drouin on this struggling team? Who cares.. move on.

Sergs numbers wouldn't be nearly as good on this team, and Drouin's would be better on the Lightning. Apples and Oranges people 

Drouin was on the lightening and no his numbers weren’t better - when he did manage to get into the lineup

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Drouin was on the lightening and no his numbers weren’t better - when he did manage to get into the lineup

Wasnt exactly the same team with Stamkos hurt.... Kucherov has also taken his game to another level this season. 

Good job Niemi 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wasnt exactly the same team with Stamkos hurt.... Kucherov has also taken his game to another level this season. 

You're clearly finding all the reasons people shouldn't think highly of Sergachev and cherry picking them.

Who cares about his sheltered minutes as a 19 year old? If it was so easy to produce at that rate, other people would be doing it in his place. I don't get why Tampa Bay should even attempt to trust Sergachev in the defensive zone anyway  when they have other solid defensive defensemen who are supposed to be defensively sound. 

You are staring at his weakness and ignoring his strengths. 

And no, you would not have 10 points playing as a defenseman with Stamkos and Kucherov.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Kuch was ablaze last year as well without Stammer.

Just for trivia sakes, Kuch was taken late 2nd rd in the same year where we had no 2nd rounder and took Beaulieu in the 1st.

I wouldn't put words in his mouth. He is stating facts. Serg may be amazing.  And soon. But right now he is playing sheltered offense minutes with the two hottest players in the league.  As I said, in 1985 if you played with gretzky and Coffey for all of your minutes,  you would get a lot of points too. I think it's a little soon to call this a lost trade. It may be just that.  But it will take more than a season to know the answer.  Certainly not 20 games feeding pucks to two players on pace for 140 points each.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You're clearly finding all the reasons people shouldn't think highly of Sergachev and cherry picking them.

Who cares about his sheltered minutes as a 19 year old? If it was so easy to produce at that rate, other people would be doing it in his place. I don't get why Tampa Bay should even attempt to trust Sergachev in the defensive zone anyway  when they have other solid defensive defensemen who are supposed to be defensively sound. 

You are staring at his weakness and ignoring his strengths. 

And no, you would not have 10 points playing as a defenseman with Stamkos and Kucherov.

I am very high on Sergachev.  Have been since before he was drafted, and remain high on him.  I think he's a great prospect.   Everything I've written on my site, even after the trade, puts him as a great prospect.

Here is the issue though, some people here are quoting those stats to try and say Sergachev is already a better player than Drouin and the Habs have lost the trade. 

He is a great prospect.  He is not better than Drouin right now, no matter what the points say, and they need to be taken in context of the sheltered minutes and who he is playing with.  Some here refuse to do that. 

And, yes the 10 points was an exaggeration.

14 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Just for trivia sakes, Kuch was taken late 2nd rd in the same year where we had no 2nd rounder and took Beaulieu in the 1st.

Kuch was excellent last season, and had a legit case for MVP. 

Kuch is at an even higher level this season... he is on pace for almost 150 points. 

9 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

So 30 teams all missed kucherov before tampa thought he was worthy of their second pick.

No one, not even tampa, knew how good kucherov was.  If.tampa knew how good he was (one of the best scorers in all of hockey) they would have taken him in the first round.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

So 30 teams all missed kucherov before tampa thought he was worthy of their second pick.

No one, not even tampa, knew how good kucherov was.  If.tampa knew how good he was (one of the best scorers in all of hockey) they would have taken him in the first round.

Sounds like there’s an undiscovered metric out there.

A metric which could take a chronically underperforming yet historied franchise from the gutter to glory.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

I am very high on Sergachev.  Have been since before he was drafted, and remain high on him.  I think he's a great prospect.   Everything I've written on my site, even after the trade, puts him as a great prospect.

Here is the issue though, some people here are quoting those stats to try and say Sergachev is already a better player than Drouin and the Habs have lost the trade. 

He is a great prospect.  He is not better than Drouin right now, no matter what the points say, and they need to be taken in context of the sheltered minutes and who he is playing with.  Some here refuse to do that. 

And, yes the 10 points was an exaggeration.

I agree that it's silly to bring up this season's stats as a comparison between the two as well as to use them to state that Sergachev is already a better player than Drouin.

At the same time, I do think it's completely rational to be upset (to only a certain extent) about the trade, knowing that we have a hole in the lineup as well as Sergachev demonstrating that he's capable and doing well. 

The only defense to this viewpoint seems to be that he wouldn't do as well on the Habs, as well that he is not trusted in the defensive zone. Drouin is also a great player.

On Tampa Bay, the coaches have to shelter Sergachev's minutes. In Montreal, there's no one better to "shelter his minutes" than Shea Weber as a partner. It's completely possible that it wouldn't have worked, but I would have to assume it's possible that he would have gotten a similar look that Mete did on the top pairing, and that it may have worked.

Considering we do have issues on the defensive end that people keep bringing up, I do think it's possible to say "hey, we should have kept that defenseman". The fact he does have 14 points at this stage in the game, as well as the fact that Jordie Benn is on our top pair, leads me to question anything we may have had available to us on the back end. Had we signed Markov, a completely independent variable in regards to Sergachev and Drouin, this would not have been a topic for myself. 

23 minutes ago, Link67 said:

When does Hudon get a chance with Drouin and Galchenyuk.

I don't mind Byron there mind you, but Hudon should be given a top 6 opportunity while we are still looking for answers imo.

I think that line.... hudon - drouin - chuck would be a disaster defensively