Playoffs or bust?

Trizzak

55 minutes ago, DON said:

Most of those are elite players who only slightly up their stats in playoffs...don't get Commandant started on "Clutch" players.:D

OH and welcome sir,

Thank you for the welcome 

I  Wouldn’t say elite players, most of the time it’s 4th or 3rd line players who step it up in the playoffs and score big goals.

for what ever reason it is we just can’t seem to buy a goal once playoffs come around.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

You need more personal info and fave stuff in your signature. :sarcasm_on:

I even stopped adding to it a few ears ago :(

46 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Wouldn’t say elite players, most of the time it’s 4th or 3rd line players who step it up in the playoffs and score big goals.

But if go back and look at top 10 playoff scorers every year, they are the best players who can still produce vs stiffer competition. So I think is more important that the teams best players actually show up and lead, than count on inspired play from some underdog player to win 16 games and 4 series.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

But if go back and look at top 10 playoff scorers every year, they are the best players who can still produce vs stiffer competition. So I think is more important that the teams best players actually show up and lead, than count on inspired play from some underdog player to win 16 games and 4 series.

True but here is a question for you.... Is it our core group that just isn't good enough and needs to go??? Or is it the fact that our centers are to soft and easy to put a game plan together for a 7 game series?

As long as we don't have that big elite 1st line center and a puck-moving no.2 d-man to play with Weber, this team will struggle. Sure we might make the playoffs (Thanks to Carey Price) but we won't get very far.  Cause let's not kid ourselves, no. 31 is skews our perception of how good this team is!

9 hours ago, Habsfan said:

As long as we don't have that big elite 1st line center and a puck-moving no.2 d-man to play with Weber, this team will struggle. Sure we might make the playoffs (Thanks to Carey Price) but we won't get very far.  Cause let's not kid ourselves, no. 31 is skews our perception of how good this team is!

No kidding! The transformation since his return has been ridiculous. They should just give him the Hart annually; I don't know that there's another team out there so psychologically dependent on a single player.

Guest Stogey24
10 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Bergevin should be severing part of his salary to Price 

12 hours ago, Metallica said:

True but here is a question for you.... Is it our core group that just isn't good enough and needs to go??? Or is it the fact that our centers are to soft and easy to put a game plan together for a 7 game series?

Well, how many all-star forwards do the Habs have? Zero...enough said. e.g. Top Hab is Gallagher at 75th in scoring

I keep thinking of that battle taraves had with couturier last week.  When I look at what the habs need , I think  its more of that never quite mentality. No one other than Gallagher battles that hard for the puck.  Some of the guys on this team you just touch them and they turn the puck over.

23 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I keep thinking of that battle taraves had with couturier last week.  When I look at what the habs need , I think  its more of that never quite mentality. No one other than Gallagher battles that hard for the puck.  Some of the guys on this team you just touch them and they turn the puck over.

Byron battles, Lehkonen battles, Shaw battles, Weber battles, Benn battles, Schlemko battles, Alzner battles, Gallagher battles... Carr battles, Deslauriers would battle if he could...

As for never quit mentality, you could add Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Danault, Mete, Hudon to that list... Pacioretty and Galchenyuk have scored numerous huge goals for us over their career. Galchenyuk had something like 6 overtime goals last season and Pacioretty has daggered the Bruins more than enough times. As much as people like to criticize, those things have not magically disappeared this season. People confuse Pacioretty's style of play with "effort level" and Galchenyuk does give effort most games lately. 

• Upvote 1

I believe that fans and commentators often default to complaints about "character" and "compete level" when what they really mean, in most cases, is talent. Not that there aren't soft players and headcases out there, including on the Habs (Galy, this means you). But the issue usually is less "character" than that the players collectively just aren't good enough.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Byron battles, Lehkonen battles, Shaw battles, Weber battles, Benn battles, Schlemko battles, Alzner battles, Gallagher battles... Carr battles, Deslauriers would battle if he could...

As for never quit mentality, you could add Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Danault, Mete, Hudon to that list... Pacioretty and Galchenyuk have scored numerous huge goals for us over their career. Galchenyuk had something like 6 overtime goals last season and Pacioretty has daggered the Bruins more than enough times. As much as people like to criticize, those things have not magically disappeared this season. People confuse Pacioretty's style of play with "effort level" and Galchenyuk does give effort most games lately. 

Reg season is one thing, where are these forwards come playoffs??????? Our team is an easy team to put a game plan together for a 7 game series. There's a reason why this team gets shutdown in the playoffs. 

31 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Reg season is one thing, where are these forwards come playoffs??????? Our team is an easy team to put a game plan together for a 7 game series. There's a reason why this team gets shutdown in the playoffs. 

Yeah, and the reason is that our players are just not good enough to outscore a quality opponent, so we lose once we run into a goalie that's playing close to the level of #31. I don't think "compete level" has anything to do with it.

• Upvote 1

Once again its playoffs we are talking about not Reg season. What has max or plek done in playoffs for us over the last 7 years??? Max played for team USA and did nothing for them. Is it still because of lack of talent as you say??? Price plays like a wall with less talent around him but when you put more talent around him like team Canada he becomes a wall.

Its not always about talent. But how hard you want to compete. Come playoffs we just have to many players that don't compete.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎30 at 8:08 PM, DON said:

But, but... Fernando Pisani...

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lucky, not clutch. 

If he was clutch he could repeat such a performance in future big games.  But he didnt. 

Does the name Justin Williams ring a bell????

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Does the name Justin Williams ring a bell????

The guy with the identical points per game in the regular season and the playoffs... yup I know him. 

Once again... no such thing as clutch.  He's just a good player. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The guy with the identical points per game in the regular season and the playoffs... yup I know him. 

Once again... no such thing as clutch.  He's just a good player. 

His most important goals were in games 7. To me that's clutch. Showing up when your team needs you the most that's clutch 

2 minutes ago, Metallica said:

His most important goals were in games 7. To me that's clutch. Showing up when your team needs you the most that's clutch 

So why doesn't he score at the same rate in game 6 when his team is losing 3-2 in the series?

Why didn't he score for the Capitals in game 7 last year?

Cause its not clutch.... its luck in a small sample size.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So why doesn't he score at the same rate in game 6 when his team is losing 3-2 in the series?

Why didn't he score for the Capitals in game 7 last year?

My argument as well, when some no-name gets hot or scores one or couple key goals, just a fact that bottom six guys do score some of the offense..