So we need to win 30 games out of the last 44 just to get to 96pts

Metallica

Ok so we have 44 games left, we have 36pts. To make the playoffs you will need about 96 plus points. That means we need to win 30 out of the 44 games( just for a chance at the playoffs) . I don't think this group is good enough to win 30 out of 44 games. We haven't put together any sort of wining streak together other than the 5 games when price came back. I think MB needs to start thing about getting a lottery pick. Trade Plekenec, petry , Shaw. Try and see what kind of package we can get back for Pacioretty. Then with all the cap space we can retool this teams core. Its time to break out of this groundhog day loop that this team Seems to be in.

• Like 1

They are closer to a top 3 lottery pick than top 3 in the Atlantic.

If I'm Molson I'm telling Bergevin he can't make a move without telling me first and he needs to clean out his desk in April. Actually I wouldn't wait. Let Timmins run the team until April.

• Upvote 1

Molson needs to hire himself a real President, a hockey guy with the success of this club dear to his heart, and won't stand for incompetence. 

Shanahan is a perfect example of that, I don't know if Damphousse or Roy is that version for us, but the owner shouldn't be the president too and allow his personal feelings to get in the way of results.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Molson needs to hire himself a real President, a hockey guy with the success of this club dear to his heart, and won't stand for incompetence. 

Shanahan is a perfect example of that, I don't know if Damphousse or Roy is that version for us, but the owner shouldn't be the president too and allow his personal feelings to get in the way of results.

Agree. And the name you're looking for is SAKU KOIVU

• Upvote 2

Let's say something like 28-12-4 does it. That would be averaging 7-3-1 (15pts), putting it in 11 game chunks. Let's look at the last three "11 game chunks":

4-6-1 (9 pts) - Most recent 11 games

5-4-2 (12 pts) - Previous 11

6-5-0 (12pts) - Previous 11

In their best 11 game stretch of the season, they've managed 12 pts. I'd say it's highly unlikely that the team gels and gets their poop in a group for the last 44 games. Cherry picking their best 11 games (Oct 24 thru Nov 11), their record was, 7-3-1.

Don't forget we need the teams in front of us to lose so we can leap frog them. Just to be on the safe side of things we would need to win 34 of 44 games. Do you see this team only losing 10 games out of their  next 44? Ladies and gentlemen we need to be selling at after the all star break. Get a top 5 pick hope for the 1st overall pick. Rebuild this team around Gallagher and Price.

Edited by Metallica

38 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If I'm Molson I'm telling Bergevin he can't make a move without telling me first and he needs to clean out his desk in April. Actually I wouldn't wait. Let Timmins run the team until April.

Wouldn't it be better to have Dudley/Carriere do the interim work over taking Timmins away from his main scouting role? 

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. And the name you're looking for is SAKU KOIVU

Hell, no.  The last thing I want when trying to restore a winning culture is a guy at the helm who has never won.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Wouldn't it be better to have Dudley/Carriere do the interim work over taking Timmins away from his main scouting role? 

Timmins is supposed to be more than just head scout now. Head scout is Churla. He's supposed to just be supervising the scouting while moving into assistant GM duties.

Dudley and Carriere would be axed along with Bergevin. Same with Mellanby. Better to go with someone who is loyal to the team and not to Bergevin.

40 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Timmins is supposed to be more than just head scout now. Head scout is Churla. He's supposed to just be supervising the scouting while moving into assistant GM duties.

Dudley and Carriere would be axed along with Bergevin. Same with Mellanby. Better to go with someone who is loyal to the team and not to Bergevin.

Fair enough.  I'll note that Carriere isn't part of the Bergevin regime though - he was there beforehand.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Hell, no.  The last thing I want when trying to restore a winning culture is a guy at the helm who has never won.

I've got a ton of respect for Mr. Koivu. That aside, your 'Cup ring' requirement, if combined with Link's critereon that the president be someone who knows Montreal and bleeds Habs red, would restrict our search to a handful of guys left over from the 1993 team, basically. 1993 was 25 years ago. Despite everything, some Habs since then have served with class and distinction - Koivu more than most.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I've got a ton of respect for Mr. Koivu. That aside, your 'Cup ring' requirement, if combined with Link's critereon that the president be someone who knows Montreal and bleeds Habs red, would restrict our search to a handful of guys left over from the 1993 team, basically. 1993 was 25 years ago. Despite everything, some Habs since then have served with class and distinction - Koivu more than most.

Saku was class for sure, but he also kept a very small circle of friends. 

Someone somewhere suggested Bobby Smith and I think that's perfect. Tons of NHL experience in hockey ops too.

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Someone somewhere suggested Bobby Smith and I think that's perfect. Tons of NHL experience in hockey ops too.

:thumbs_up: Great choice! Probably too sensible to ever happen in this gong show

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Haha

Saku the president

Craig Rivet the GM?

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Yeah, like it was Koivu's fault that he was stuck on a team run mainly by morons - having to endure starting his career with the unholy trinity of Corey-Houle-Tremblay.  It doesn't matter than he thoroughly outplayed higher rated players like Joe Thornton, or had his team up 2-0 against the eventual cup winners Hurricanes until he was almost blinded on a missed call on Justin Williams.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, like it was Koivu's fault that he was stuck on a team run mainly by morons - having to endure starting his career with the unholy trinity of Corey-Houle-Tremblay.  It doesn't matter than he thoroughly outplayed higher rated players like Joe Thornton, or had his team up 2-0 against the eventual cup winners Hurricanes until he was almost blinded on a missed call on Justin Williams.

Even with ruined knees, he was a terrific player who gave everything he had - I'd call him a true 'clutch' player, but...well, Commandant ;)

He'd make a fine team president, but I'm not naive enough to think it will happen. More important is that *someone* other than the owner take on that role.

This organization is a basket case.

Saku Koivu is the only Center this team has had during this century to hit the 70 point plateau multiple times.

He played with Heart and Tenacity, the same things we love about Gallagher, he was always under some kind of pressure here yet continued to persevere and be a very good player for this Organization. He wasn't Big enough, not a #1 center, Didn't speak french, just a few of the wrenches thrown at him on a yearly basis, and of course, he Isn't a winner, because he was so well surrounded during most of his time here right? 

15 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Saku Koivu is the only Center this team has had during this century to hit the 70 point plateau multiple times.

He played with Heart and Tenacity, the same things we love about Gallagher, he was always under some kind of pressure here yet continued to persevere and be a very good player for this Organization. He wasn't Big enough, not a #1 center, Didn't speak french, just a few of the wrenches thrown at him on a yearly basis, and of course, he Isn't a winner, because he was so well surrounded during most of his time here right? 

He was good, no question about it.  Not great, but good and at times very good.  But we always seem to settle for 'good'....the organization has to change it's mindset and strive for 'great', not just 'good.  We have to do everything possible to add great players to the roster, not plug holes with 'good enough' or 'character', and we have to demand a president and a general managers who's credentials are also great...not just good.  The Leafs are turning the corner because they did not settle...they went out and got the best coach available, a winner in Shanahan, and the architect of multiple Stanley Cup wins in Lamoriello.  The Montreal Canadiens need to follow suit if any of us are going to see a cup win before we're old and grey.  A hockey management neophyte is not what we need in a president...we need someone who has been actively involved in hockey operations before and can hit the ground running on day 1.  Of the names mentioned here, Bobby Smith seems to be the most enticing based on that criteria.  He should be one of many quality candidates interviewed; the search should be exhaustive, with the goal of hiring the very best regardless of stupid politics being paramount.

12 minutes ago, Link67 said:

One time I sat down and crunched Koivu's numbers on a game by game basis (I guess I had more time back then!). What I discovered was a recurring pattern. He would be more or less a PPG player *except* for stretches of about 20 games per season where he would get next to zero points. This happened consistently over multiple seasons. So what we had there was a guy who was a legit #1C for about 3/4 of the time, but was a marginal producer for the other 1/4. This helps to explain, for instance, how he could have dominant playoff series and be remembered by many of us as a very fine player, while other fans dismiss him as a loser.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One time I sat down and crunched Koivu's numbers on a game by game basis (I guess I had more time back then!). What I discovered was a recurring pattern. He would be more or less a PPG player *except* for stretches of about 20 games per season where he would get next to zero points. This happened consistently over multiple seasons. So what we had there was a guy who was a legit #1C for about 3/4 of the time, but was a marginal producer for the other 1/4. This helps to explain, for instance, how he could have dominant playoff series and be remembered by many of us as a very fine player, while other fans dismiss him as a loser.

Good memory, CC...the extended slumps used to drive me nuts.  That and the boneheaded lazy offensive zone stick penalties he had a penchant for taking (he was nicknamed 'captain hook' by many).