Is Pacioretty A Real Leader?

l<OV4L3V

Pacioretty was voted in by his teammates though. They obviously saw some type of leadership in him

It could have been a default choice. Gallagher was seen as too young and PK too showy, and Pleks and Markov were clearly not cut out for it.

Besides Gallagher, Weise is the guy who seems, from the outside, to act like a leader. Not a prominent enough player though.

• 6 months later...

Pretty early to say that, but if the team doesn't start hot out of the gate, Pacioretty could have a new address and Weber could have a C by Christmas.

If the team doesn't start hot the blame will goto Pacioretty.

Then Radulov. Next maybe Galchenyuk.

Then probably Plekanec.

After that I'm sure Bergevin and Therrien will convince Molson the problem was Kirk Muller.

I'm really not worried about this years' Habs. With Price back, they are bound to exceed 'expectations' created by last year.

But IF somehow it's a rocky start to the season, I would expect the immediate discussion to focus on the Weber trade, especially if Subban himself gets off to a hot start.

Only if Weber is bringing an undeniably 'impact' game that makes it impossible to blame him, would the blame likely then shift to others. And while the fans probably would zero in on Patches, I agree with Machine's only-slightly-exaggerated sense of management's 'logic' :nuts:

No chance. He has the best contract in hockey.

Who thought PK was going to get traded? Best contract just means any team can afford him. He's in the doghouse for me this year. The whole team is. They've got the free preview to prove to me they're worth Centre Ice.

Who thought PK was going to get traded? Best contract just means any team can afford him. He's in the doghouse for me this year. The whole team is. They've got the free preview to prove to me they're worth Centre Ice.

Boy

Your a tough one to please

It also means he has to replace a top 10 RW in the league for 4.5 mill.

The Subban trade was replacing a top 10 Rd in the league with 9 mill. A bit easier to accomplish.

Pacioretty should not be traded, just like Subban should not have been. No one would be talking about 'leadership' on this team if its true leader had not missed 3/4 of last season.

Pacioretty should not be traded, just like Subban should not have been. No one would be talking about 'leadership' on this team if its true leader had not missed 3/4 of last season.

Pacioretty is the third cheese in the room. What's he going to say to Carey Price and Shea Weber? Weber should be Captain. Keeping Max as the Captain is a joke. Carey Price and Shea Weber are two of maybe the top-10 respected people in hockey, especially in Canada. Max as the Captain is like the King of England, all title, no credibility.

Pacioretty is the third cheese in the room. What's he going to say to Carey Price and Shea Weber? Weber should be Captain. Keeping Max as the Captain is a joke. Carey Price and Shea Weber are two of maybe the top-10 respected people in hockey, especially in Canada. Max as the Captain is like the King of England, all title, no credibility.

How much credibility does the organization lose if they strip Pacioretty of the captaincy after just one season though? Imagine Bergevin or Therrien going to him and saying "We had a bad year therefore you're finished as the captain". That wouldn't go over too well.

I read somewhere today a decent comparison to this situation. Years ago, the Flyers brought in Chris Pronger, a well-respected leader, to a team captained by Mike Richards. Richards was coming off his first season as captain and Pronger was brought over to help in the room. Richards stayed as captain in title but Pronger assumed a big part of the leadership role. Here we are with Pacioretty coming off his first season as captain where there appear to have been some issues. The Habs have brought in Weber, a well-respected leader, but will run with Pacioretty keeping the C in title with Weber likely assuming a significant portion of the overall leadership role.

• Upvote 1

How much credibility does the organization lose if they strip Pacioretty of the captaincy after just one season though? Imagine Bergevin or Therrien going to him and saying "We had a bad year therefore you're finished as the captain". That wouldn't go over too well.

I read somewhere today a decent comparison to this situation. Years ago, the Flyers brought in Chris Pronger, a well-respected leader, to a team captained by Mike Richards. Richards was coming off his first season as captain and Pronger was brought over to help in the room. Richards stayed as captain in title but Pronger assumed a big part of the leadership role. Here we are with Pacioretty coming off his first season as captain where there appear to have been some issues. The Habs have brought in Weber, a well-respected leader, but will run with Pacioretty keeping the C in title with Weber likely assuming a significant portion of the overall leadership role.

Sounds about right. All this "Pacioretty is a bad captain" stuff will go away once the team collects a few Ws.

Knowing this organization and the level of subterfuge, they would put Max up to saying he ceded the letter.

The difference for me with the Pronger comparison (which is apt) is that Pronger moved around more, had an iffy reputation, and he was five years older than Weber.

Where this whole situation breaks down imo is the tacit acknowledgement that Price is the "real Captain" then you bring in an archetypal Captain in Weber, and then Pacioretty is supposed to be taken super seriously? If I were a player and he tried to reel me in or gave a speech, I would just "yeah" him.

The Captaincy means much less to the players that the fans, but this can't make much sense to the players, either. It's almost as if they prefer/trust Pacioretty to handle the media.

CC had a great theory last season about Price being the Big Dog and his injury led to all the yip yap dogs fighting amongst themselves. Respect is earned, not given. I have no idea why Max was named Captain last year unless he voted by less than 40% of the team.

-He's not the best skater.

-He doesn't lead the team in TOI.

-He is certainly not "clutch."

-He doesn't stick up for his teammates.

-He's never won a single thing in his entire career and he's not the most experienced player.

The C is just a letter.

Leaders lead, letter or not.

Gilmour didn't need a letter to be the leader of the Habs when Saku had cancer.

Price didn't need a letter to be the real leader before his injury.

Its always the way... the letter doesn't matter... you're either a leader or not. A leader will lead, C or no C.

The C is just a letter.

Leaders lead, letter or not.

Gilmour didn't need a letter to be the leader of the Habs when Saku had cancer.

Price didn't need a letter to be the real leader before his injury.

Its always the way... the letter doesn't matter... you're either a leader or not. A leader will lead, C or no C.

I agree, this whole thing about the "C" is blown out of proportion.

I believe these days, at least with the Habs, that it is more about the relationship with officials, as it is anything else, Price will lead, he was gone last year, and it showed.

Does Max have the "C" because he's the team's leading scorer, or because he's a leader?

He has the C cause it was voted by the players.

Of course we all say whether he is or isn't a good captain... but none of us, not fans, not media, no one but the players knows what happens in that room when the doors are closed and its just the players in there.

But again, thats even assuming the letter matters to whether or not someone is a leader.

• dlbalr changed the title to Is Pacioretty A Real Leader?