Best rivalries in hockey?

xXx..CK..xXx

.... or at least your favorite matchups in hockey?

The talk about fighting in another thread led to this thought. I live in Southern California and last night Anaheim and LA had three staged fights in the first few minutes within a 2 second timespan, all three of which were off of separate face offs. 

Now I’m not saying fighting is the only component, or even an important one when it comes to rivalries in the modern NHL but I was curious to know what perhaps some of your favorite rivalries are in the NHL?

This thread could be short if we were coming to

an actual conclusion in regards to the “best” rivalries of all time, but based on geographical disparity, or even a player (Subban, Sergachev, etc.) perhaps some people enjoy different rivalries than we would think of.

The following are my favorite current rivalries, or the matchups that intrigue me the most during the most important time of the year. Simply off the top of my head...

1) Boston vs Montreal 

2) Anaheim vs Los Angeles

3) Montreal vs Toronto

4) Washington vs Pittsburgh

5) Los Angeles vs San Jose

The battles of Alberta & Ontario are intriguing but it’s rare that both team have been good at the same time. 

Two other matchups I really enjoyed in the playoffs were

1) Dallas vs Edmonton

2) Colorado vs Detroit 

3) Pittsburgh vs Detroit

So, what are your greatest rivalries that you enjoy watching? Answer in whatever way you feel appropriate. 

Montreal Quebec.

Nobody ever talks about Montreal Hartford. Had a few doozies back in the day. Especially if you include Carolina

90s Detroit Colorado

Vancouver Chicago for a few years

Always get geared up for Montreal Boston

Montreal Habs fans vs rest of sportsworld who know nothing about sports.

With the Leafs its been more a matter of potential immense embarassment at ever losing to the falling leaves as they drift by my window.  (Nana Miskouri sings, wistful and forlorn in the background) :huh:

Yeah, I know there’s been discussion before about how Toronto and Montreal aren’t exactly a rivalry. I just have fond memories of being up at my cottage as a child over the weekend and CBC being one of the only available Channels in my area on Saturday nights. I may be incorrect but it seems as though we faced the Leafs quite often on Hockey Night in Canada during the 90s. Either way, it’s just a matchup I enjoy watching.

I am surprised I didn’t mention Montreal - Ottawa though. That probably has to do with recency bias and how both team’s haven’t been doing well this year so far.