Trade Price

titanfan

Crazy as it sounds...do we look at trading Price?

This team is not going to win in the next few years when he is in his prime.,  The Habs need to do a total rebuild right now (which should start with management, but that is another thread...)

We already dealt Subban, so no need to think Price is really untouchable.

Chicago?

With Crawford's 'upper body' injury likely sidelining him for the season, the Blackhawks would be crazy not to give this a serious look....

Crawford's salary comes off the books if he is done for the season.  How many years of Hossa left?  We can eat that salary for them for the rest of this season (if indeed this is the last year he is on the books).  So, yeah they have room.

Now, who would we want?

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Chicago does not have the cap space to take on price's contract....

Nor do they have the assets i would want back in a trade for price.  They have debrincat and no other real high end prospects. 

Debrincat.. they took him with one of our picks from the Shaw deal. He’d be nice for our scoring woes. 

Very few if any competing teams have the space for Price I’d say.

3 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Crawford's salary comes off the books if he is done for the season.  How many years of Hossa left?  We can eat that salary for them for the rest of this season (if indeed this is the last year he is on the books).  So, yeah they have room.

Now, who would we want?

1) Price is signed for 8 years after this season. 

2) Hossa's salary still counts in the summer and you can only go 10% over the cap. He doesn't come off the books until his contract is done even if we trade for him.

3) They don't have the assets to trade for Price.  I'd want a serious package of young talent back.  Chicago doesn't have that in their system.   Nothing they can put together in terms of young assets, that would make me go, yeah thats a good value for Price.  Cause no they aren't giving up Patrick kane or something like that. 

OK, i checked, the Hossa things doesn;t make sense since he has three more seasons left.  But, with Crawford's salary off the books the Blackhawks have the room for Price this year.  Chicago goes from Fighting for a playoff spot to instant Cup Contender, and Price gets a chance to win (which he deserves).

We take Crawford back, knowing he won't play for us until next year anyway.  Niemi and Fucale can finish this year - since the season is lost anyway.

-Crawford's Vertigo sounds like long term concussion issues.  I don't want that as our starting goalie, even next year.   This is the second time he's missed due to vertigo, and he's also had other concussion issues. 

they don't have a package of youngsters worth price. 

2 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Crawford, Anisimov and Debrincant

for Price and Galcheyuk

No... thats a horrible trade for the Habs. 

Crawford has concussion issues.... 

If we are trading 29 year old price cause he doesn't fit with the rebuild, why does 29 year old anisimov and 33 year old crawford. 

Meanwhile we also give up a 23 year old who is our leading scorer.

And we get one young piece?  Who is good, but not elite. 

This is mike milbury level dumb. 

NO

Giving up a 23 year old and a 29 year old

for Anisimov (29) and Crawford (33) and one piece

DOES NOT HELP A REBUILD

Chicago does not have pieces we need.  I don't know how to be more clear on this... but trading for guys who are the same age or older than price... plus moving galchenyuk for another guy older than chukc..... MAKES Zero Sense.  I don't know what you are accomplishing by making the team older. 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Price leaves if Price requests a trade.

Which has a higher probability than this team making the playoffs.

True enough, but the probability of Trump admitting he's an idiot and resigning is higher than the Habs making the playoffs. <_<

The only logical trading partner i see is the oilers.  To get Price they would have to move Draisaitl’s salary and we would get our centre.

the only other team that is really desperate for goaltending are the islanders.  But they’d be wanting price to help resign Tavares to make him happy and I can’t see them moving Barzal, so I don’t think there is a fit.

Islanders, Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Jets, Ducks, Sabres, Senators, Coyotes, Panthers, Golden Knights, Red Wings, Flyers, Blue Jackets, and maybe the Maple Leafs should all be interested in Price. All of those teams have goalies underneath Price and would likely trade their goalie to get him. The Wild would probably move Dubnyk if he struggles in the playoffs again. You can argue some of those goalies as not being a huge gap or being young and affordable (like Helleybyuk or whatever his awful name is) but if Price calls his shot and the team is in there, they will make the move. What about Tampa, Washington, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, and whomever else I missed? I bet they'd still sniff.

A team getting Price would be treated like when Dallas got Belfour or Detroit got Hasek. Or heck, when Colorado got Roy. It's a big big deal. It would motivate the team into feeling like it's the last piece to their Cup team.

Who would Price waive for? Who knows, he got his NMC extended to this season to ensure what happened to Subban couldn't happen to him. Right now he only wants to play for Montreal. Where would I guess he would go? The Pacific division teams like Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton is a guess where he'd want to go. Calgary is near complete except a goalie with lots of assets to give. Vancouver is ready to build around Boeser and Price is a local boy coming home. Edmonton is McDavid Land and that'll always be interesting. He'd be their best goalie since Joseph. Darkhorse would be Carolina. They offer Elias Lindholm in a package and Montreal's head is gonna turn. And seeing they just got new owners, they might.

It all depends on the timeline of the rebuild/retool. If the plan is 3-4 years, I think the only reasonable thing to do is trade price. 

If this team can retool and become a contender in a 2 year span, then I'd be hesitant on trading price. 

Habs have always seem to have luck with goalies and the prospect pool is deep in that category.... 

Edited by Habopotamus

1 hour ago, lazy26 said:

True enough, but the probability of Trump admitting he's an idiot and resigning is higher than the Habs making the playoffs. <_<

Not hockey related, just had to stick this in here.

Trump musta asked for the "Ernie McCracken" haircut.

Image result for images Trump comicalImage result for images kingpin bil muray hair comical

I'm still not sure we need a tear-it-all-down rebuild in the first place. Of course, I don't believe in these as a general rule. But especially not when you have a whack of young forwards already on the club, which we do.

Second, it's not clear that a 'rebuild' means trading every star or veteran player on your team. At that point you're talking a tank-job. But those only work sometimes. Other times they trap your organization in wretchedness for years. Plus we have a draft lottery system, so even finishing last is no guarantee of #1 overall, let alone a franchise player. (Remember "Fail for Nail?")

If you get a clear-cut, stud #1C, PLUS a not-too-old very good goalie, PLUS other value-added, then sure, trade Price. Otherwise, keep him around as the cornerstone around which you retool the roster, hoping to contend in about three years. Price has a full NTC anyway, right? - so it's all moot.

I still believe that if we play the Pacioretty card right, we can get a quality top-6 C and quality prospect - or some equivalent combination. That's a good start.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Islanders, Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Jets, Ducks, Sabres, Senators, Coyotes, Panthers, Golden Knights, Red Wings, Flyers, Blue Jackets, and maybe the Maple Leafs should all be interested in Price. All of those teams have goalies underneath Price and would likely trade their goalie to get him. The Wild would probably move Dubnyk if he struggles in the playoffs again. You can argue some of those goalies as not being a huge gap or being young and affordable (like Helleybyuk or whatever his awful name is) but if Price calls his shot and the team is in there, they will make the move. What about Tampa, Washington, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, and whomever else I missed? I bet they'd still sniff.

A team getting Price would be treated like when Dallas got Belfour or Detroit got Hasek. Or heck, when Colorado got Roy. It's a big big deal. It would motivate the team into feeling like it's the last piece to their Cup team.

Who would Price waive for? Who knows, he got his NMC extended to this season to ensure what happened to Subban couldn't happen to him. Right now he only wants to play for Montreal. Where would I guess he would go? The Pacific division teams like Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton is a guess where he'd want to go. Calgary is near complete except a goalie with lots of assets to give. Vancouver is ready to build around Boeser and Price is a local boy coming home. Edmonton is McDavid Land and that'll always be interesting. He'd be their best goalie since Joseph. Darkhorse would be Carolina. They offer Elias Lindholm in a package and Montreal's head is gonna turn. And seeing they just got new owners, they might.

Sure, lots of teams in the league would want Price.  But what are they going to be willing to give up and what do we want in return.  If I’m the habs GM, I don’t move price unless I finally address my need at centre (that should also have been the only circumstance that Subban should have been moved), improve my defence and get a prospects.  Are the flames going to be willing to trade Monahan??  Cause that’s pretty much what I’d be wanting as a starting point.  Who does Vancouver have to move for Price??? Not a hell of a lot.

yeah you could probably move price to at least 28 other teams, but you are going to get the rejean Houle pile of crap spare parts return, or draft picks that mean we are in for a long rebuild.  I want a trade that has as in contention in 2-3 years and potentially a playoff team right away AND puts us in a position to be a contender for a long time.

this is not the pre-cap era that toleama can spend whatever they want and Price is not a UFA that would be cost free to teams.  Not many teams have the assets to give up hat make sense to us and still allow that team to actually remain a serious contender while Price is in his prime.

Edmonton is in a unique situation. They are loaded with offensive players and prospects, suck, have sucked for a LONG time, with a lot of pressure to do something.

if be trying to package Weber and price to address their lousy goaltending, weakness on defence and lousy PP.  they just might be tempted to overpay in order to have a win now core of mcDavid (best player in the league), Price (best goalie), and Weber (top 10 dman). They would also be forced to move Draisaitl and if we could pry Puljujarvi, Larson, another top 6 roster player, high pick and Talbot, I’d do the deal and I think it would be tempting to the oilers as well.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm still not sure we need a tear-it-all-down rebuild in the first place. Of course, I don't believe in these as a general rule. But especially not when you have a whack of young forwards already on the club, which we do.

Second, it's not clear that a 'rebuild' means trading every star or veteran player on your team. At that point you're talking a tank-job. But those only work sometimes. Other times they trap your organization in wretchedness for years. Plus we have a draft lottery system, so even finishing last is no guarantee of #1 overall, let alone a franchise player. (Remember "Fail for Nail?")

If you get a clear-cut, stud #1C, PLUS a not-too-old very good goalie, PLUS other value-added, then sure, trade Price. Otherwise, keep him around as the cornerstone around which you retool the roster, hoping to contend in about three years. Price has a full NTC anyway, right? - so it's all moot.

I still believe that if we play the Pacioretty card right, we can get a quality top-6 C and quality prospect - or some equivalent combination. That's a good start.

I could see Price willing to waive his no trade to go west and play with McDavid, even if it means playing in frigid deadmonton.  As a positive, he probably wouldn’t be subjected to marital rumours.