Trade Price

titanfan

I have no problem moving him given the current state of the team, and given that I don't think it makes sense to pay guys in their thirties. 

But the fact he was the best forward on the team for years... all while having a 4.5 million a year contract, wasn't his fault.  Its a failure of Bergevin to get a #1 C. 

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

But the fact he was the best forward on the team for years... all while having a 4.5 million a year contract, wasn't his fault.  Its a failure of Bergevin to get a #1 C. 

I agree, it's not his fault. And if the GM was better, he'd still have Markov/Subban/Radulov to push him down the depth chart so the weaknesses of his game wouldn't be so glaring. But as of how this team is built today, he's given the role of offensive driver and captain and leader of the team's offence with less than 30 points in 46 games, when every other team in the league has at least one player with 30 points. I don't blame Martin Rucinsky for 1999-00 either, but keeping him around was pointless too.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I have no problem moving him given the current state of the team, and given that I don't think it makes sense to pay guys in their thirties. 

Bergevin needs to go. 

It's crazy how promising this team looked 4 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Bergevin needs to go. 

It's crazy how promising this team looked 4 years ago. 

Ain't that the truth.  4 years ago, it seemed like we just needed to land a #1 caliber free agent center, maybe an upgrade on D, and we'd be a contender.

30 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Ain't that the truth.  4 years ago, it seemed like we just needed to land a #1 caliber free agent center, maybe an upgrade on D, and we'd be a contender.

Yep. Heart-breaking, really. :(

If you look at it in perspective though, the pieces this team has in place right now and their age, we really aren't far off from bouncing right back in it. It hinges simply on a retool mindset and the proper decisions being made with players and how or when we move them to retool.

If we make the trades we know need to be made, and acquire the types of players who we already know need to be acquired, this team could look like it is heading in a very different direction in 2 years. Making the right decisions from now until then will be paramount in deciding whether this is a downward spiral that is still going further down, or whether this is rock bottom for this current roster and after a string of smart hockey decisions we begin to ascend back towards the top, in better shape than we did last time around.

I am also aware we likely have to deal with the fact Bergevin is the guy who has to make this "String of smart hockey decisions" to get there, and in turn, makes this situation VERY precarious going forward.

14 minutes ago, Link67 said:

If you look at it in perspective though, the pieces this team has in place right now and their age, we really aren't far off from bouncing right back in it. It hinges simply on a retool mindset and the proper decisions being made with players and how or when we move them to retool.

- Weber is getting older and we don't know how close to 100% he will be after his injury

- Price will now cost $10.5M

- We are losing our best defensive centre in Plekanec unless we re-sign him for cheap

- Pacioretty will be one season away from a raise from his $4.5M

- Alzner will be in year two of the worst contract given to a free agent since David Clarkson

- The prospect pool is shallow

- The club is still lacking a legitimate top four LD

This club would bounce back like a watermelon. 

14 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

- Weber is getting older and we don't know how close to 100% he will be after his injury

- Price will now cost $10.5M

- We are losing our best defensive centre in Plekanec unless we re-sign him for cheap

- Pacioretty will be one season away from a raise from his $4.5M

- Alzner will be in year two of the worst contract given to a free agent since David Clarkson

- The prospect pool is shallow

- The club is still lacking a legitimate top four LD

This club would bounce back like a watermelon. 

Did you actually think I believed we could turn this around internally? We need to trade players away for assets during the next year and fill the holes we have with young players or quality prospects from those trades, while moving forward with our young core and keeping the vets we need to keep or have to keep along the way. It is in the acquisition of the assets from those trades that the smart hockey decisions need to be made to help us retool the way this roster is put together in 2 years and create a scenario where we can rise again because of it.

Trading Plekanec as a rental for the best return is only step 1, it is how we proceed to trade guys like Pacioretty, Byron, Benn, Shaw and even Petry that will define this retool. Getting the right prospects at the right positions, using the draft picks from those trades to draft the right players, all of this can be achieved inside the next 2 years if we are patient and pull the trigger for the right deals only. And we will in my estimation come out of this dark alley in very good shape if we make the right hockey decisions at the right time. Mix all that in with Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Danault, Hudon, Mete, Lehkonen, Deslaurier, Jerabek, Carr and possibly Scherbak, and it is entirely possible to enter the next phase as soon as 2 years and in very good shape to boot.

As far as Alzner is concerned... well we are simply stuck with him, and will just have to work around his situation, he is pretty much unmovable for now and probably the next 2 years, we will see after that.

2 minutes ago, Link67 said:

As far as Alzner is concerned... well we are simply stuck with him, and will just have to work around his situation, he is pretty much unmovable for now and probably the next 2 years, we will see after that.

There will be another lockout to look forward to, which I'm sure will contain more compulsory buyouts.

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I agree, he is one of the best wingers in the league. 

But making him your best forward is like when Vanek was the best forward in Buffalo, or Gaborik in Minnesota, or even Kessel in Toronto. He shouldn't be the best forward on any club. He's the best forward in Montreal. That's the problem. And we had several years to change that and didn't. He's now coming up to his free agency in the summer of 2018. You don't keep him. You trade him and get a package back that will improve this club for the future. 

The team is not balanced. Its not pacioretty or price or Drouin or Weber or Gallagher or petry or galchenyuk's fault. Pacioretty is a scoring winger. Wanting to get rid of him because he is not Joe Thornton doesn't make sense. I don't see why he can't still be the captain on a team that has balance. I don't think mb can land a #1 centre or #2 defenseman without trading pacioretty, so I would not argue trading him for that, But he is what he is. A goal scoring player who is very good defensively. I don't want to trade him for not being a set up man. I either want to trade him as smart asset management or not trade him at all if the return isn't there. 

Send him to Vancouver...

Juolevi, Markstrom, their 1st this year and a Center prospect. 

I get the thinking that you don't trade the best goalie in the game.. but he's been off this whole year. Is it a bad year or is he regressing? Too much going on in the media and hearing the room is divided you have to wonder what his role is.. maybe I'm just frustrated after another bad loss to the Bruins.. 

16 hours ago, nihilz said:

Horvat Nilsson Pouliot Biega Chaput Demko 1st

Price Weber

Price and weber and get horvat demko and a first and a bunch of garbage.

You dont even get pettersson or juolevi.

Nilsso  pouliot chaput have no value.

This is bad for.the habs

Just now, Commandant said:

Price and weber and get horvat demko and a first and a bunch of garbage.

You dont even get pettersson or juolevi.

Nilsso  pouliot chaput have no value.

This is bad for.the habs

You know best.

13 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Send him to Vancouver...

Juolevi, Markstrom, their 1st this year and a Center prospect. 

I get the thinking that you don't trade the best goalie in the game.. but he's been off this whole year. Is it a bad year or is he regressing? Too much going on in the media and hearing the room is divided you have to wonder what his role is.. maybe I'm just frustrated after another bad loss to the Bruins.. 

If Patterson is that "centre prospect," this becomes more interesting, although still pretty damned chancy. It's a true "rebuild" trade. Now if Horvat is in the mix, it becomes a bona-fide "retooling" trade. But Van will not trade Horvat, nor should they.

Another question is whether Van would want Carey Price. They expect Demko to develop into an elite starter, and their whole focus is on building a strong club in the future. If they believe Demko can be a high-end starter within, say, two seasons, on a cheap entry-level contract, why would they want an $11-million, 31-year-old Carey Price, especially when this means surrendering key prospects from a team that is really counting on those prospects to become core players?

I think EDM is just about the only plausible trade partner when it comes to Price. An elite goalie could make the difference for them, and it's conceivable that Price would waive his NTC to go there. I myself have no desire to trade him, however.

• Like 1

Like I said about Pacioretty, I say the same about Price, Weber, Gallagher, galchenyuk, we keep them and don't trade them unless we can't sign tavares.  With all the picks we have plus we should get more if we trade Plekenec, petry, niemi, Benn , at the end of the year we try and trade for tavares rights. If we can sign him we just need to retool. If we can't then we trade everyone and rebuild.

15 minutes ago, Metallica said:

trade everyone and rebuild.

naïve expectation for this to ever happen, if they even trade 4 guys from this roster I will be surprised.

1 hour ago, DON said:

naïve expectation for this to ever happen, if they even trade 4 guys from this roster I will be surprised.

I know just saying tavares would be a big game changer if we can get him, which is why i don't make any big moves with our key players ie Pacioretty,Price, Gallagher, galchenyuk and weber. Right now i would look at clearing out the other guys and let our young guys play and see what we got.

I only look at trading our key guys if we don't land tavares.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Like I said about Pacioretty, I say the same about Price, Weber, Gallagher, galchenyuk, we keep them and don't trade them unless we can't sign tavares.  With all the picks we have plus we should get more if we trade Plekenec, petry, niemi, Benn , at the end of the year we try and trade for tavares rights. If we can sign him we just need to retool. If we can't then we trade everyone and rebuild.

I'll tell you right now: Montreal is not signing Tavares. 

There is not a single thing Montreal can offer that better teams cannot.

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Well unfortunately Bergevin put everything in that basket.

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

They can offer a need for a number one centre and cap space to get it done. But I do not believe Tavares goes to Montreal either

13 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

They can offer a need for a number one centre and cap space to get it done. But I do not believe Tavares goes to Montreal either

San Jose can do the same. 

Colorado can do it where Tavares and MacKinnon basically are both the top centre.

Just as much open cap, both better teams.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

San Jose can do the same. 

Colorado can do it where Tavares and MacKinnon basically are both the top centre.

Just as much open cap, both better teams.

Colorado has a slew of background financial issues to contend with, there is a reason why they left so much of the cap open, they are struggling in their market, spending to cap is not something they can or will do anytime soon, so you can take them off the list as soon as immediately.

San Jose however has everything going for them, Cap space, the team is still in it, and with Big Joe likely on his way out, it makes room for Tavares to come in and fill the void while giving that team another 5 year window to get it done, that one would be difficult to compete with.

Only thing we have to offer is Money, A prestigious Market, Opportunity to right a ship sailing a drift and leaving your imprint on the team's rich history, The chance to be a part of a three pronged weapon with your Team Canada pals Price and Weber. There really isn't much else and to be honest it is very likely not enough, we will have A chance, but the likelihood of it succeeding is, and will remain, slim, I hope no one expects much more than that as an outcome to the sweepstakes.

23 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Colorado has a slew of background financial issues to contend with, there is a reason why they left so much of the cap open, they are struggling in their market, spending to cap is not something they can or will do anytime soon, so you can take them off the list as soon as immediately.

San Jose however has everything going for them, Cap space, the team is still in it, and with Big Joe likely on his way out, it makes room for Tavares to come in and fill the void while giving that team another 5 year window to get it done, that one would be difficult to compete with.

Only thing we have to offer is Money, A prestigious Market, Opportunity to right a ship sailing a drift and leaving your imprint on the team's rich history, The chance to be a part of a three pronged weapon with your Team Canada pals Price and Weber. There really isn't much else and to be honest it is very likely not enough, we will have A chance, but the likelihood of it succeeding is, and will remain, slim, I hope no one expects much more than that as an outcome to the sweepstakes.

Ok so lets say tavares doesn't sign here. What does the organization then do? Do we blow it up and rebuild?