A Plan for the Remainder of the Season, including the Deadline

Commandant

Plex might be primed for a move to Tampa.

They're clearly top 3 team overall in the league but their PK is out of sync and I'm sure Stevie Y wants to shore it up with some veteran know how. Not sure what we could get back.

7 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

They're clearly top 3 team overall in the league but their PK is out of sync and I'm sure Stevie Y wants to shore it up with some veteran know how. Not sure what we could get back.

Trade him for Mitchell Stephens and a 2019 2nd round pick

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 10:51 PM, zumpano21 said:

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 10:57 PM, TheDriveFor25 said:

I stated that in the past already, but I'd like the Habs to get their hands on Mathieu Joseph from Tampa.

He's fast, hard working and has a decent 1st season in the AHL with 26 points in 41 games with the Syracuse Crunch.

26 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I stated that in the past already, but I'd like the Habs to get their hands on Mathieu Joseph from Tampa.

He's fast, hard working and has a decent 1st season in the AHL with 26 points in 41 games with the Syracuse Crunch.

I liked him in the Memorial Cup.

On 1/20/2018 at 10:57 PM, TheDriveFor25 said:

Given how he fleeced us for Sergachev, Stevie Y should be somewhat generous if we trade him Plex for the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

In a galaxy far, far away  Plex goes to Tampa as suggested for the one and only hope for the rebellion, sergachev.

as bergy planned all along. 

Yeah don't see that happening. 

Brett Howden would be nice, but again don't see that happening. 

Libor Hajcek would be nice too, but he seems to be a guy the Bolts will need.

Maybe Anthony Cirelli would be expendable?  That would be a good return on Plex.  And I wouldn't ask for a pick. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm gonna miss plekanec defensively. Best defensive forward Montreal has had in years. Not worth 6 million for sure, but the guy can read and break up plays so well. 

The guy is still very good defensively. 

We've seen that recently against stamkos/kucherov

We saw that tonight against MacKinnon. 

We saw that against Washington against Backstrom/Ovi.
we saw that against Tavares (yes he had two goals, both with Plek off the ice, and did nothing with Plek on the ice).

The more games like that, he's gonna just add to his deadline value. 

27 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I guess I'm the anti hab29RETIRED. I just feel like a top 6 centre and a number 2 left defenseman, combined with price being price and this team can still contend. I almost hate to be a seller in a way. 

I don't think this team is far off. 

That said, I think cashing in on Pacioretty and Byron and Benn... would be smart given their contract situations and the raises they will need in one years time. 

I believe in a lot of this team, but the influx of talent moving those three could bring, could make the team very good for a very long time. 

Especially if that gets them the young centre and young left D they need so badly. 

• Upvote 1

Dahlin - Weber

Jerebak - Petry

Mete - Juulsen 

That looks like a great defense for the next few seasons. Just need a bunch of luck at the draft. 

As far as the forwards go, that's a whole other story. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't think this team is far off. 

That said, I think cashing in on Pacioretty and Byron and Benn... would be smart given their contract situations and the raises they will need in one years time. 

I believe in a lot of this team, but the influx of talent moving those three could bring, could make the team very good for a very long time. 

Especially if that gets them the young centre and young left D they need so badly. 

I may be slightly less optimistic, but agree with the principle that you don't 'rebuild' a team that has a huge number of young FWs, as this one does. I've been saying for a while that trading Patches in particular could add really key young pieces, creating a strong young core that can blossom together over perhaps three years into contenders. That's what we should do. And yes, target a good top-6 C and a top-pairing LD prospect. We may not get both back for Patches but at least one of those pieces is absolutely what we must insist upon.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I may be slightly less optimistic, but agree with the principle that you don't 'rebuild' a team that has a huge number of young FWs, as this one does. I've been saying for a while that trading Patches in particular could add really key young pieces, creating a strong young core that can blossom together over perhaps three years into contenders. That's what we should do. And yes, target a good top-6 C and a top-pairing LD prospect. We may not get both back for Patches but at least one of those pieces is absolutely what we must insist upon.

Its our turn to get lucky and win the draft lottery. Dahlin is our man. ??

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’d be optimistic if we had a potential #1 centre among those forwards.  Bottom line is we don’t have many chips to get that #1 centre without moving one of our few remaining core pieces with value.  I still think galchenyuk can at the very least become a very good #2 centre, but thats not happening until MB is gone, or he gets traded.

52 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d be optimistic if we had a potential #1 centre among those forwards.  Bottom line is we don’t have many chips to get that #1 centre without moving one of our few remaining core pieces with value.  I still think galchenyuk can at the very least become a very good #2 centre, but thats not happening until MB is gone, or he gets traded.

I'm pretty sure Patches could bring back a high-quality C prospect. In terms of truly roster-ready, potential #1 C, that is a taller order. Otherwise put, I can see a contender trading a C prospect who may top out as a #1C - i.e., the C equivalent of Sergahcev - for Pacioretty. But I can't see a team trading a player who is clearly emerging as a #1C at the NHL level for Pacioretty. No team except one led by MB would trade a Bo Horvat for a 29-year-old W.

I'd accept Nuge + a quality D prospect for Patches. I know you wouldn't do that move, Habs29, but I can really see Nugent-Hopkins solidifying our roster and being a great part of that group of maturing young FWs. He wouldn't be the Stud #1C, though, obviously. More like Pleks used to be in his prime.

• Upvote 1

Great article Commandant. I think I agree with pretty much everything you wrote...especially the parts about trading Plex, Waiting for the right deal before trading MaxPac and calling up Scherbak. I would also love to see Chucky back at center for the rest of the year.

On 20/01/2018 at 5:10 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I have to agree...I can't see a team coughing up  1st either. A 2nd, sure.

I guess there are a couple of points I don't agree with... I think the Very best return we can get for Byron would be a 2nd round pick. As far as Plex is concerned, I think we could expect a 3rd round pick. Not sure another GM will offer much more than that! 

I'd accept Nuge + a quality D prospect for Patches. I know you wouldn't do that move, Habs29, but I can really see Nugent-Hopkins solidifying our roster and being a great part of that group of maturing young FWs. He wouldn't be the Stud #1C, though, obviously. More like Pleks used to be in his prime.

Eeesh! If there's one guy I nomally almost always agree with, its you Cuke. But on this one, I'm gonna have to disagree! I'm really not a big fan of Nugent-Hopkins. I get the feeling that he's been overhyped over the years. He's a 45 to 55 point guy! At best, he'd be a 2nd line center trying to play on the 1st line...something that the Habs have seen alot of over the past 2 decades.

I guess the D-prospect would have to be really good...then maybe I could go for this deal.

If we trade Plex and manage to get a 3rd round pick (2018) and we trade Byron and get a 2nd round pick (2018), How many picks would that make for the habs this year in the first 3 rounds? Could it be 8 total picks in the first 3 rounds?

I believe we currently have one 1st, three 2nd a two 3rd? Is that correct?

3 hours ago, Habsfan said:

If we trade Plex and manage to get a 3rd round pick (2018) and we trade Byron and get a 2nd round pick (2018), How many picks would that make for the habs this year in the first 3 rounds? Could it be 8 total picks in the first 3 rounds?

Close.  One 1st, three 2nds, one 3rd.  (Plus three 5ths, two of which can become 4ths.)

6 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Eeesh! If there's one guy I nomally almost always agree with, its you Cuke. But on this one, I'm gonna have to disagree! I'm really not a big fan of Nugent-Hopkins. I get the feeling that he's been overhyped over the years. He's a 45 to 55 point guy! At best, he'd be a 2nd line center trying to play on the 1st line...something that the Habs have seen alot of over the past 2 decades.

I guess the D-prospect would have to be really good...then maybe I could go for this deal.

Yeah, I could be overrating Nuge. Certainly he is not as good as Patches, and if you follow the old 'best player wins' theory of trade evaluation, we'd lose the trade. That prospect would indeed have to be an impact prospect.

What drives me nuts is that RNH is the right age and the right position for our team, plus he is the third wheel on that roster and exactly the guy they will look to move. There's a deal to be made for him (perhaps not for Patches) and he *would* really help us down the middle and we should try to make it happen IMHO.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I could be overrating Nuge. Certainly he is not as good as Patches, and if you follow the old 'best player wins' theory of trade evaluation, we'd lose the trade. That prospect would indeed have to be an impact prospect.

What drives me nuts is that RNH is the right age and the right position for our team, plus he is the third wheel on that roster and exactly the guy they will look to move. There's a deal to be made for him (perhaps not for Patches) and he *would* really help us down the middle and we should try to make it happen IMHO.

If we absolutely need Nuge, I’d move Gallagher for him. Not sure I’d make the trade because I don’t see Nugent-Hopkins as being any more gifted offensively than Drouin and Galchenyuk, and we already have them, but the coaches might actually play him at center, making it a bareable trade.

9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If we absolutely need Nuge, I’d move Gallagher for him. Not sure I’d make the trade because I don’t see Nugent-Hopkins as being any more gifted offensively than Drouin and Galchenyuk, and we already have them, but the coaches might actually play him at center, making it a bareable trade.

That's the whole point...he's a true C and plays that coveted 200-foot game (which actually includes some decent offensive skills and production). I see him as a more playmaking version of Plekanec in his prime; he's just turning 25. That'd be a big help to this team, which is why I keep thinking about possible package deals to get him. Patches could be the lure, provided we get more than Nuge back.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's the whole point...he's a true C and plays that coveted 200-foot game (which actually includes some decent offensive skills and production). I see him as a more playmaking version of Plekanec in his prime; he's just turning 25. That'd be a big help to this team, which is why I keep thinking about possible package deals to get him. Patches could be the lure, provided we get more than Nuge back.

I wouldn’t move patches for Nuge. Gallagher yes, but I’d want more for patches.  Edmonton is vulnerable with the heat that they are taking, I’d try and take advantage of that and try hard to get Draisaitl.  I’d be willing to move any player on the habs as a package for Draisaitl - that includes Weber, Price, Galchenyuk and Drouin.  Although I’d move Weber or Price, before the other two because of age.

oulers need help on D, goal, a winger to play with MCDavid, and help on special teams.  We have the pieces to get a deal done.  Make it so!

if you look at the past 12 Stanley cup winning teams (post 2005 lockout), they all had a bona-fide top centre - in some cases multiple centres:

Penguins - Crosby, Malkin 

Chicago - Toews

LA - Kopitar, Carter (yes I know he played mainly wing)

Boston - Bergeron, krejki 

Detroit-  Datsyuk

Carolina - Stall

Anaheim - Getzlaf

MOST had decent/good goaltending, but certainly not necessarily elite like Price.  In fact for MOST of those teams, a stud Dman was more important than the goalie.

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t move patches for Nuge. Gallagher yes, but I’d want more for patches.  Edmonton is vulnerable with the heat that they are taking, I’d try and take advantage of that and try hard to get Draisaitl.  I’d be willing to move any player on the habs as a package for Draisaitl - that includes Weber, Price, Galchenyuk and Drouin.  Although I’d move Weber or Price, before the other two because of age.

oulers need help on D, goal, a winger to play with MCDavid, and help on special teams.  We have the pieces to get a deal done.  Make it so!

if you look at the past 12 Stanley cup winning teams (post 2005 lockout), they all had a bona-fide top centre - in some cases multiple centres:

Penguins - Crosby, Malkin 

Chicago - Toews

LA - Kopitar, Carter (yes I know he played mainly wing)

Boston - Bergeron, krejki 

Detroit-  Datsyuk

Carolina - Stall

Anaheim - Getzlaf

MOST had decent/good goaltending, but certainly not necessarily elite like Price.  In fact for MOST of those teams, a stud Dman was more important than the goalie.

I'm with you, but I just don't believe EDM will move Dreisaitl. They'd be crazy to do it, considering that they have the new Crosby-Malkin configuration at C. IF they are willing to move him, then yes, absolutely, we should do whatever it takes to get him. My assumption is that they won't.