2018 All-Star Weekend Thread

dlbalr

The All-Star weekend is here or as the NHL will surely try to spin it at some point, their gift to hockey fans for not going to the Olympics.

The new-look Skills Competition is on Saturday where Carey Price somehow isn't scheduled to participate in anything.  As of this morning, the league was trying to coerce players to actually participate in the fastest skater and hardest shot events.  Evidently, a $25,000 prize to the winner of each event isn't the motivational tactic the league thought it would be.

Here's a breakdown of the events and who's participating: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/visual-primer-2018-nhl-star-skills-competition/

Then on Sunday, it's the 3-on-3 minigames.  The Atlantic Division will role a unit of three forwards and zero defencemen after organizers decided to replace Victor Hedman with Brayden Point instead of another d-man.  The highlight of this day should be the ovation for Brian Boyle who was named to the game as a replacement for Taylor Hall.

I liked that passing one as well.  Those little nets are always fun.

The change to the accuracy shooting was nice as well.  The fifth target makes sense and the changing target adds another little wrinkle to it.

I don't know what it is but all star weekend has lost its edge with me. The skills comp just doesn't seem all that interesting any more.

I think they should make this an out door event to bring some excitement back to the game.

11 hours ago, Metallica said:

I don't know what it is but all star weekend has lost its edge with me. The skills comp just doesn't seem all that interesting any more.

I think they should make this an out door event to bring some excitement back to the game.

I'm not even paying attention anymore.  This indifference is marked with a decided edge of grouchiness this year, since the NHL betrayed us all by opting out of the Olympics, while expecting us to care about crap like this (and the laughable World Cup) instead. Screw 'em, I say.

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not even paying attention anymore.  This indifference is marked with a decided edge of grouchiness this year, since the NHL betrayed us all by opting out of the Olympics, while expecting us to care about crap like this (and the laughable World Cup) instead. Screw 'em, I say.

If there was more Habs players in it, it would probably be a little more Intresting too

Edited by Habopotamus

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

If there was more Habs players in it, it would probably be a little more Intresting too

It sure would be great seeing some more dump ins and soft shots on the net from anywhere at the all star game. And the defensive breakdowns would make for a high scoring affair as well 

I have zero interest in the all star game - I haven’t for a while now. 

Losing Olympic hockey hurts. Imo that’s the best hockey - even better than the Stanley cup finals. NHL finals is such a marathon that teams are often beaten up and bruised - too players sometimes nursing injuries. 

In olympic hockey, they seem fresher and even if a top player is injured, there are still full lines of all-stars to roll out shift after shift. Now, maybe some of the weaker nations can’t say that, but by the time we are in the Olympic semi-finals, there is nothing like it. 

(NHL playoffs do give me the seven game  series and the sudden death overtime, so it’s not that I prefer everything about the olympics)

44 minutes ago, illWill said:

It sure would be great seeing some more dump ins and soft shots on the net from anywhere at the all star game. And the defensive breakdowns would make for a high scoring affair as well 

:lol:

I refuse to watch anything this weekend.  The nhl bills it as a showcase event for their best players... all while skipping what should be the real showcase for a best on best tourney.  Screw them.  Im not watching this

while i wait for MB to pick up Jagr

check out the last moment of this dual interview... where it seems as if Michel Therrien is saying sorry ..all i can read from Pks lips is I know I know... and then an odd finish

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/01/28/decouvrez-ce-que-subban-manque-le-plus-de-michel-therrien#cxrecs_s

2 hours ago, illWill said:

I was going to take it there too, lol

Edited by Habopotamus

44 minutes ago, CoRvInA said:

while i wait for MB to pick up Jagr

check out the last moment of this dual interview... where it seems as if Michel Therrien is saying sorry ..all i can read from Pks lips is I know I know... and then an odd finish

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/01/28/decouvrez-ce-que-subban-manque-le-plus-de-michel-therrien#cxrecs_s

Wow, does seem like he said sorry.

Funny how now the two guys who thought P.K was the problem, are both about to be out of jobs shortly 

Edited by Habopotamus

Price was alright in his two appearances but the Atlantic fell short in the final, falling 5-2 to the Pacific.

Now the focus shifts to the AHL All-Star festivities, beginning with the Skills Competition tonight.  Laval has two players participating - Terry is doing the Puck Control Relay, Accuracy Shooting, and the Breakaway Relay while Taormina will be in Rapid Fire, Pass & Score, and the Breakaway Relay.