Retool or rebuild. That is the question?

titanfan

I'm resigned to the odds being against our getting a big time #1C. But I don't think that means Danault being our #2. My 'realistic' scenario would involve having two top-6 C and using Danault as the #3. And if Drouin or Galy are viewed as top-6 C then this only means acquiring one guy. The model here would be to be able to roll three good lines, even if we lack a heavy duty #1 line. Kill teams with FW depth.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm resigned to the odds being against our getting a big time #1C.

A Pierre-Luc Dubois type prospect centre in a package is what they should be looking to get for #67, not an older established high priced and in higher demand #1 centre.

1 minute ago, DON said:

A Pierre-Luc Dubois type prospect centre in a package is what they should be looking to get for #67, not an older established high priced and in higher demand #1 centre.

For sure.

Considering that PLD is already an NHLer, and is centring the Jackets top line, and scoring at a reasonable rate, thats a pipe dream. 

You need a prospect who is not on the team yet, or one who is on a team but is not yet in a big role.  

A contender isn't going to trade a guy currently on their top line for one of our pieces.  You don't create one hole to temporarily solve another. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Considering that PLD is already an NHLer, and is centring the Jackets top line, and scoring at a reasonable rate, thats a pipe dream. 

Considering he was just an example and Columbus would have to be Milbury stupid to deal him, short of for Tavares or McDavid, not sure whose pipe dream you are trying to crush? CCs?

4 hours ago, Helmethead said:

As funny as it may sound I feel tanknation was better off with Price in nets than Niemi.  

Price seemed like he was dialed out.  Niemi has something to prove.

I think you might be right about that.  Niemi has played very well in some of his losses.only had a couple bad games.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I think you might be right about that.  Niemi has played very well in some of his losses.only had a couple bad games.

Hopefully it creates some kind of market for him.  Although I don't see too many teams really needing or wanting him.  Most playoff teams seem to have a pretty good duo.

Boy, this Dreger interview sure is tantalizing.https://www.fanragsports.com/canadiens/dreger-revisits-tavares-ufa-possibility-for-canadiens/

“So specific to Geoff Molson and his loyalty to Marc Bergevin, I’m going to throw something out there that is probably going to rattle some cages: What if Molson is sitting back and saying, ‘Alright Marc, I hear what you’re saying. I believe in the direction of your want as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens. But if John Tavares is available, if he goes to market, and you don’t find a way to land this guy – then you’ve got a problem. You’ve got a problem.’

“I”ve got to believe that that has to be the bigger plan for the Montreal Canadiens. I’m not saying they’re going to get him. I still kind of think even though the days continue to drift by and it seems more likely Tavares tests the open market, if he gets to the open market I think that has to be the all-in game plan of Marc Bergevin. And that’s what Geoff Molson might be counting on.”

And later on:

“I had an NHL executive tell me earlier this week that he believes that someone, if Tavares goes to market, is going to offer a seven-year term and $15 million per. 7 X 15,” said Dreger. “Well if you’re the Montreal Canadiens with $9 million in cap space right now and that’s going to grow in the off-season. If he hits the market, you need to be one of those teams ready to pony up that kind of dough.”

Dreger has also said in the past that he thinks Tavares would like to play in Montreal.

It remains a long shot, but it's nowhere near as long a shot as it once was. JT is still not signed, and at some point that pull toward free agency starts to kick in. The Habs are awash in cap space. Our GM will be more desperate to sign him than any other GM could possibly be.

This thing just might happen.

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

$9M + Plek'S $6M = $15M :)

What about Price’s $4m increase next year?

We'll have the cap space to beat any offer Tavares receives, except maybe from Van, if the twins retire.

The more interesting question to me is what a Tavares signing would mean. I don't believe it would be enough to make us legit contenders, given our blueline, but it surely postpones talk of retooling or rebuilding. Another way to put it is that signing him IS the retool. The primary question for 2018-19 would be whether we can add enough to the defence corps to seriously contend.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We'll have the cap space to beat any offer Tavares receives, except maybe from Van, if the twins retire.

Don't sleep on San Jose.  They have tons of cap room now and have Thornton ($8M) coming off the books.  They have 17 players signed for next year at $57M so they have the ability to offer Tavares a huge deal as well.  To be honest, if he doesn't stay with the Islanders, I'd probably call the Sharks the favourites to land him.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Don't sleep on San Jose.  They have tons of cap room now and have Thornton ($8M) coming off the books.  They have 17 players signed for next year at $57M so they have the ability to offer Tavares a huge deal as well.  To be honest, if he doesn't stay with the Islanders, I'd probably call the Sharks the favourites to land him.

You're harshing my mellow, dude. At least let me grasp onto what frail straws I can, will ya? :(

• Upvote 1

Cap space would be scarce after a Tavares signing.  We would be putting all our eggs in Tavares' basket.  If he is not enough to win a Cup on his own, I doubt we have enough cap space to bring in what we need to win one.  Having said that, it would sure be nice to have him anyway if we could find a way to make the cap work.

13 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

According to a reliable source, Geoff Molson has total confidence in his GM Marc Bergevin to put the team back on track. #tvasports

I honestly think if Molson walked in on Bergevin banging his wife, Bergevin could talk Molson into thinking he just slipped and landed on top of her. 

Nothing like trusting the guy who made the mess to clean it up. 

Good night for Tank Nation..

Detroit gets 2 points and NYR get one, Buffalo gets 2 points,

Edmonton gets 2 points, Vancouver up on Arizona (hopefully a three point game!)

Fall For Dahl!