Deslauriers signs a two-year extension

dlbalr

I don't mind this signing at all. Especially with the fact there's going to be a lot of young kids on this roster moving forward. A little protection isn't a terrible thing.

I just hate the fact Bergevin is still being aloud to make moves. It basically means he's the g.m of the Habs moving forward 

Bergevin has four years left on his contract (I believe).. it would be expensive to replace him.

I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to go, I’d just be surprised if he did.

Good signing though.. ND has been one of the more consistent forwards.

19 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Bergevin has four years left on his contract (I believe).. it would be expensive to replace him.

I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to go, I’d just be surprised if he did.

Good signing though.. ND has been one of the more consistent forwards.

How the heck did he manage to get that long of an extension??? Wow Molson must have no clue what's going on or they just don't care.

Plekanec extension next? :)

:sarcasm_on: (I think) 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

A one way contract should have been closer to the league minimum. I know I'm nitpicking a few hundred thousand dollars here, but Deslauriers wasn't getting a $950 000 contract anywhere else this summer, so why is he getting it in Montreal?

Just seems like this is continuing Bergevin's tradition of unnecessarily overpaying 4th liners.

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

A one way contract should have been closer to the league minimum. I know I'm nitpicking a few hundred thousand dollars here, but Deslauriers wasn't getting a $950 000 contract anywhere else this summer, so why is he getting it in Montreal?

Just seems like this is continuing Bergevin's tradition of unnecessarily overpaying 4th liners.

I agree with you as a personal opinion of mine as well but do think there’s a little bit of devil’s advocate to be played in that he was a 3rd rounder and played the beginning of his career with a terrible Buffalo team. I think there’s a small chance that his best is yet to come (10-15 goals) and a raise in salary could be motivation to perform up to potential. 

On the the other hand, we may also have a 1 million dollar 5 goal scorer come next year. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

League minimum is rising to $700,000 in each of the next two seasons. 

What do you think his deal should have been?

I'm not that upset at $250,000 over league minimum. 

It should have been the salary he's at now.

And I know I'm quibbling, but even slightly overpaying guys who don't need to be overpaid just irks me when I'd rather that cap space go towards, y'know... talent. Even with the 8th most cap space in the league, I still want the groundwork laid for no dollar being wasted. 

Again, Deslauriers doesn't make more than league minimum on any other team in the league, so why is he making more in Montreal? It's just a really odd player to overpay even a single dollar to, especially when it is possible that Deslauriers could fall back to his 2016-17 form. Maybe this salary on a one year "show me you still got it" deal makes sense, but 2... it's just weird to me. 

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

And I know I'm quibbling, but even slightly overpaying guys who don't need to be overpaid just irks me when I'd rather that cap space go towards, y'know... talent. Even with the 8th most cap space in the league, I still want the groundwork laid for no dollar being wasted. 

Again, Deslauriers doesn't make more than league minimum on any other team in the league, so why is he making more in Montreal? It's just a really odd player to overpay even a single dollar to, especially when it is possible that Deslauriers could fall back to his 2016-17 form. Maybe this salary on a one year "show me you still got it" deal makes sense, but 2... it's just weird to me. 

I agree - I was expecting an extension to be closer to his current salary than this.  It's not a massive overpayment by any stretch but if they're tight to the cap next season, that little bit could make a difference.

It's also more than possible that Deslauriers reverts to his 2016-17 form.  A case can be made that he already has based on his performance over the last month.

Interestingly enough, there is a signing bonus in each year of the contract:

18-19: $200K bonus, $750K salary

19-20: $100K bonus, $850K salary

If he winds up reverting to his previous level that saw him get waived out of the league, having part of his salary paid down via the bonus might help entice someone else to take him.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I agree - I was expecting an extension to be closer to his current salary than this.  It's not a massive overpayment by any stretch but if they're tight to the cap next season, that little bit could make a difference.

It's also more than possible that Deslauriers reverts to his 2016-17 form.  A case can be made that he already has based on his performance over the last month.

Interestingly enough, there is a signing bonus in each year of the contract:

18-19: $200K bonus, $750K salary

19-20: $100K bonus, $850K salary

If he winds up reverting to his previous level that saw him get waived out of the league, having part of his salary paid down via the bonus might help entice someone else to take him.

He could revert, or he could show improvement. 

Either way, he’s demonstrated an overall improvement statistically on the Habs. Take +/- for what it’s worth but him and Plekanec are + players on a predominantly - team and those players smell like roses to Julien. 

He’s again a depth player, that’s for sure, but just as much as he “could” revert to his “expected” form, this move could have a rare semblance of foresight from our management team as well. 

I guess the further point may be that Deslauriers himself may have accepted less? That should be the train of thought if we think he wouldn’t have gotten this much as a free agent. 

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Two reasons.  MB likes to play hardball with stars and is a pushover for grunts and he fills the French quota.

1) How do we know what Deslauriers would have gotten on any other team in the league?  There are plenty of guys with similar 4th line numbers getting over a million, getting 1.5 even. Why assume he's only getting 775 he's getting now? He has the best season of his career and gets no raise at all?

2) We've had these same discussions about Bergevin overpaying guys before...... I was told Mitchell was signed for too many years (we traded him and got an asset back).  I was told that Byron was signed for too much and too long (look where he is now)... Montoya was supposedly signed too long (again traded for a pick).  Where is the guy at $1 million or so that we've had an issue with?

I get it most hate Bergevin and want to critique every move, but even though I don't like him and think he needs to go, doesn't mean that 100% of his moves are wrong?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) How do we know what Deslauriers would have gotten on any other team in the league?  There are plenty of guys with similar 4th line numbers getting over a million, getting 1.5 even. Why assume he's only getting 775 he's getting now? He has the best season of his career and gets no raise at all?

For me, it's not that he's having the best season of his career, it's that he had a good six-week stretch.  Beyond that, he has been his usual self and that had him clearing waivers back in October.  Generally speaking, I don't like players getting early raises based on a good short sample when his career numbers suggest he will revert back to being a fringe player.  My guess is that if he was to continue the way he has played over the last month to the end of the season (a likely scenario given his history), he'd have had a hard time finding much interest around the league in free agency, especially at a raise. 

• Upvote 1

He had a very effective six week run. If he can recapture that, he's value added. If he can't, he's a nobody who doesn't hurt the cap and ends up on waivers or in Laval. This isn't worth worrying about one way or the other...except *perhaps* to ask why an analogous player wasn't available from within the organization in the first place. 

Honestly, what upsets me about this isn't the signing, but rather that I want to see major moves...and probably won't, until the draft, I suspect.

• Upvote 1

Out of all the 4th liners we've had, he has earned his spot over the others. He is also the only one who may drop the gloves.

I think taxes is a significant reason why the CH overpays

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Out of all the 4th liners we've had, he has earned his spot over the others. He is also the only one who may drop the gloves.

I think taxes is a significant reason why the CH overpays

unless your name is Markov or Radulov, or anyone of consequence who can actually make a difference.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

unless your name is Markov or Radulov, or anyone of consequence who can actually make a difference.

I think pro-scouting has been wrong in evaluating UFAs recently which has contributed to the current mess.
Danny Dubé made the point yesterday that the CH has underevaluated roster players and overevaluayed players from outside he organization

I was basing my comment on that

• 1 month later...

Just to continue the conversation about Deslauriers' worth, after signing his extension he got 4 points in 22 games, a ~15 point pace for 82 games. He was on a ~23 point pace prior to the signing. 

So, is he worth the same extension today as he was back in mid-February?