Looks like Plekanec is being traded after all

Metallica

• dlbalr changed the title to Looks like Plekanec is being traded after all
37 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Davidson getting moved for a third is crazy. If defenceman are that valuable right now, trade them all and trade them fast. Schlemko, Benn, Morrow, heck maybe a team is dumb and takes Alzner. 

All hail Lord Snow! May he be duped by our own dumbass.

17 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

How Edmonton got a third out of him, I have no idea 

Lawrence Gilman was on the radio in Van the other day, and he commented that "not every NHL GM is a member of Mensa," or words to that effect.

He rests his case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Davidson getting moved for a third is crazy. If defenceman are that valuable right now, trade them all and trade them fast. Schlemko, Benn, Morrow, heck maybe a team is dumb and takes Alzner. 

I am now expecting the Habs to reacquire Desharnais before the trade deadline. 

Just now, Metallica said:

Desharnais for Plekenec lmao????

It's the type of move only Bergevin would make.  

I almost threw up my beer!  thanks guys.  

Desharnais for Plekenec lmao????

It must be a difficult night for Plexi to sit out and watch as his time with the habs comes to an end; but if this gives him a change to move to a contender with a chance for a long cup run! then so be it; 

Best to him and much thanks to him, years on the ice for the Canadiens, he has left his mark for sure.  A career with ups and downs but a steady two way center that all Coaches relied on; here's hoping his last move is to bring some young talent and a few good picks in return.

Cheers! Plexi.

Go HABS Go!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chips said:

It must be a difficult night for Plexi to sit out and watch as his time with the habs comes to an end; but if this gives him a change to move to a contender with a chance for a long cup run! then so be it; 

Best to him and much thanks to him, years on the ice for the Canadiens, he has left his mark for sure.  A career with ups and downs but a steady two way center that all Coaches relied on; here's hoping his last move is to bring some young talent and a few good picks in return.

Cheers! Plexi.

Go HABS Go!

Very well said Chips. Some of us should try to contact him on the team sites to express our appreciation and gratitude for the sacrifice and dedication this great athlete has blessed us with. A wonderful Montreal Canadien. We should rightly miss him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toronthab said:

Very well said Chips. Some of us should try to contact him on the team sites to express our appreciation and gratitude for the sacrifice and dedication this great athlete has blessed us with. A wonderful Montreal Canadien. We should rightly miss him. 

I'll miss him a lot more than another Hab I'm hoping to see moved ASAP, that's for damn sure.  Plex may have underperformed his current contract, but he played his ass off 99% of the time over the years....playing hard minutes against the other team's best, killing penalties, ect.

Plex is the example of a great hockey story. Drafted later (round 3 or 4 don't remember), spent his time in the minors and worked his ass off. Eventually makes the big team, continues to work his ass off and is used as 1st line, 2nd line and 3rd line centre over his career. Had some very good offensive numbers as well.

I wish him the best and hope he wins a cup

I liked Pleks. Was a big supporter of his during the "I played like a little girl" years.  But he should have been moved 2 years ago.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I liked Pleks. Was a big supporter of his during the "I played like a little girl" years.  But he should have been moved 2 years ago.

Yep. I don't get this miasma that descends upon people and causes them to forget that players don't excel forever. Sure, some guys play to age 38, but by and large once they hit their early 30s they're on borrowed time. Pleks' decline was discernable from the long slumps he had in the year or two leading up to the collapse in his offensive game last year. But everybody said this was fear-mongering. Some people are making the same mistake with MaxPac, IMHO. He should be thought of as a guy who has maybe 2-3 peak years left - if that. Frankly, I'm not seeing that extra boost of speed he used to have, and sometimes wonder if he's looking at a relatively early decline. Anyhow, the point is that teams need to take the age factor seriously, but often don't, clinging instead to the belief that a 'proven performer' will by definition keep coming through. 

1 minute ago, mineral said:

Huh! A 2nd rounder plus guys I've never heard of. Look forward to the analysis.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Huh! A 2nd rounder plus guys I've never heard of. Look forward to the analysis.

I know of Kerby Rychel. Power forward. Left winger. Lots of folks liked him during his draft year, but he's been in the farm for a while now. No sure what he's projections are at this point. I know nothing of the defenseman coming out way.

21 minutes ago, Metallica said:

We're keeping 50% of Plekenec salary  and this is all Bergevin can get??????? I am really scared now for tomorrow if he trades Pacioretty or galchenyuk.

That is surprising - but that salary is only on the books until this summer. It's not much of a concession from our point of  view (although it does give the Leafs some extra room to work with during this deadline as they load up for a Cup run).