Plekanec traded to Leafs

EMELINATOR

Im ok with if he comes back here for 2M/year.

if we draft that czech guy at no3 it cant hurt having longtime captain of the czech national team here to help ease him in.

and pleky is a good 3rd line C.

10 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I bet he gets 2 million per. Which is not where money should be getting spent. 

Every last dollar this team has needs to spent on a top 4 d-man or scoring centre. 

2M for a third line c isnt the problem. 4.6M for alzner is... 2.1 for schlemko is...

30 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I bet he gets 2 million per. Which is not where money should be getting spent. 

Every last dollar this team has needs to spent on a top 4 d-man or scoring centre. 

So you are ok with only having 16 players on the bench during a game?  Every player on the roster costs money.  The league minimum will be $650,000.  That being said, if he gets $2 a season - it is $1.35 more than the bare minimum.

$10.5 to Price is huge.

$$ to Shaw, Alzner, Schlmeko are the real problem in Mtl.

Getting Pleks for $2m is actually a bargain, not just for him but for any 3rd line C.  And yes, i know there are other examples out there.

Offer $14, to Tavares.

Activally go after Doughty or Karlsson - and budget $12 for either of them.

Montreal is anything but cap-stressed at the moment, so in that context even the bad contracts are no big deal. We shouldn't even be worrying about cap hits until after UFA season plays out.

My one anxiety about signing Pleks is that coaches, especially conservative, risk-averse coaches, love guys like that, and given that the Habs have basically a 0.00001% chance of winning the Cup next season, I'd really rather see younger players getting the ice time...assuming we have young players of sufficient quality that "suffering through growing pains" is worth the trouble.

Here are some numbers t think about:

Estimated $80 million dollar cap for next season.

Committed now for Mtl. = $55m

(That includes - Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Petry, A. Shaw, Byron, Scherback, Lehkonen, Deslauriers, Hudon, Froese, Benn, Jullsen, Mete, and Reilly.)

Add $1m for a back up goaltender - (Niemi, Lindgren, whoever.)  And add $2m for Pleks.

= $58 million.

So, $22million in cap space.

Leave $2 million for wiggle room means we (could) have $20 to spend.  I say could have because I conveniently left our the $6.75m owed to Alzner and Scherbak.

At that point we have $13.25 to comfortably offer Tavares.  (Even if we can't get rid of Alzner and/or Scherbak)

Sign Tavares at $15m and then offer Pacioretty, Alzner, picks for either Karlsson or Doughty.  (You most likely need to throw in another player or two - Danault and DLR?)

$13.25 plus $4.5 (Patches) and $4.625 (Alzner) = $22.372 remaining.  After Tavares = $7.372.  (Doughty is signed for a year at $7m and Karlsson at one year for $6.5m).

And with the wiggle room above, you can sign Zadina and keep him up with the Habs.

You then have a year to figure out where to get the extra $5m for Doughty or Karlsson the following year.  But by then maybe you are able to move A. Shaw or Petry.  (And of course the cap will most likely go up a little more for 2019-2020 anyway).

It is tight - but doable.  (FYI - I know I am dreaming, but a good GM puts all his options on the table and does everything he can to make it happen).

Edited by titanfan

How does this look then"  (Not necessarily lines and D pairings as I haven't factored in left and right)

Galchenyuk, Tavares, Drouin  (4.9, 15, 5.5 = $25.4)

Byron, Danault, Gallagher (1.167, 1.5, 3.75 = $6.417)

Lehkonen, Pleks, Scherbak (.839, 2, .863 = $3.702)

Zadina, Froese, A. Shaw (1, .650, 3.9 = ($5.55)

Deslauriers, Hudon (.950, .650 - $1.6)  ($42.669)

Weber, Karlsson/Doughty (7.857, 7 = $14.857)

Petry, Jullsen (5.5, .863 = $6.363)

Mete, Benn (.748, 1.1 = $1.848)

Reilly, Schlemko (find a way to buy him out or move him) (.725, 2.1 = $2.825)  ($25.893)

Price, Niemi (10.5, 1 = $11.5)

Total = $80.062m (Even with Schlemko)  so we are $62,000 over...   (Sign Pleks at $1.9 or Danualt at $1.4 and it works.  Of course, if we somehow get Karlsson instead of Doughty it works too.)

The only question I have (assuming this could actually happen) would be our 2C.  Is Danualt strong enough?  He is an RFA, can we land him for $1.5m?  Probably closer to $3.5 which is why we need to find a way out of the Schlemko deal).  Of course, the cap may actually wind up closer to $82 million...   And maybe Tavares can be had for 14M?

Worry about signing Karlsson/Doughty in a year.  We would have faced the same fate with Pacioretty anyway. 

(Carr, DLR and L. Shaw are all RFAs - if we move Hudon and/or Danualt we can slot one of these guys in)

Edited by titanfan

1 hour ago, titanfan said:

Here are some numbers t think about:

Estimated $80 million dollar cap for next season.

Committed now for Mtl. = $55m

(That includes - Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Petry, A. Shaw, Byron, Scherback, Lehkonen, Deslauriers, Hudon, Froese, Benn, Jullsen, Mete, and Reilly.)

Add $1m for a back up goaltender - (Niemi, Lindgren, whoever.)  And add $2m for Pleks.

= $58 million.

So, $22million in cap space.

Leave $2 million for wiggle room means we (could) have $20 to spend.  I say could have because I conveniently left our the $6.75m owed to Alzner and Scherbak.

At that point we have $13.25 to comfortably offer Tavares.  (Even if we can't get rid of Alzner and/or Scherbak)

Sign Tavares at $15m and then offer Pacioretty, Alzner, picks for either Karlsson or Doughty.  (You most likely need to throw in another player or two - Danault and DLR?)

$13.25 plus $4.5 (Patches) and $4.625 (Alzner) = $22.372 remaining.  After Tavares = $7.372.  (Doughty is signed for a year at $7m and Karlsson at one year for $6.5m).

And with the wiggle room above, you can sign Zadina and keep him up with the Habs.

You then have a year to figure out where to get the extra $5m for Doughty or Karlsson the following year.  But by then maybe you are able to move A. Shaw or Petry.  (And of course the cap will most likely go up a little more for 2019-2020 anyway).

It is tight - but doable.  (FYI - I know I am dreaming, but a good GM puts all his options on the table and does everything he can to make it happen).

Do you think anyone would actually want to take a bum like Alzner off our hands - let alone think he could be part of a doughty/Karlsson package????

to get either off them, think Jullson/Mete, galchenyuk/Drouin, 1st +.  Maxpac and Alzner and a pick aren’t even close to what it would take to get Doughty or Karlsson. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Montreal is anything but cap-stressed at the moment, so in that context even the bad contracts are no big deal. We shouldn't even be worrying about cap hits until after UFA season plays out.

My one anxiety about signing Pleks is that coaches, especially conservative, risk-averse coaches, love guys like that, and given that the Habs have basically a 0.00001% chance of winning the Cup next season, I'd really rather see younger players getting the ice time...assuming we have young players of sufficient quality that "suffering through growing pains" is worth the trouble.

We aren’t cap constrained now, but if some how MB managed to hypnotize Tavares and convinced him to sign with us, we immediately become cap constrained, because of the Alzner, Shaw deals. We can probably move Schlemko, but even if Milbury was still a  GM, I doubt even he would take Shaw or Alzner.   We wouldn’t be in this mess, if MB had just resigned Markov instead of a pylon like Alzner.

the holes in our lineup and the bad contracts is why i think we need to rebuild and blow this up - but that will have to be next year when MB finallly gets fired.

26 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We aren’t cap constrained now, but if some how MB managed to hypnotize Tavares and convinced him to sign with us, we immediately become cap constrained, because of the Alzner, Shaw deals. We can probably move Schlemko, but even if Milbury was still a  GM, I doubt even he would take Shaw or Alzner.   We wouldn’t be in this mess, if MB had just resigned Markov instead of a pylon like Alzner.

the holes in our lineup and the bad contracts is why i think we need to rebuild and blow this up - but that will have to be next year when MB finallly gets fired.

Yes, and if we didn’t have the cap space available, we wouldn’t be able to sign Tavares. And if Tavares does not sign with us, we are not cap restrained. Seems like there’s no problem here. 

41 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Do you think anyone would actually want to take a bum like Alzner off our hands - let alone think he could be part of a doughty/Karlsson package????

to get either off them, think Jullson/Mete, galchenyuk/Drouin, 1st +.  Maxpac and Alzner and a pick aren’t even close to what it would take to get Doughty or Karlsson. 

I have seen stranger things.  And isn't that what a message board is for to throw out all kind of scenarios and discuss them?  Why would a GM not consider all options and go after them?  Those GMs win championships.  Negative to everything leaves teams out of the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would love to be cap constrained and have Tavares on our team...

42 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Yes, and if we didn’t have the cap space available, we wouldn’t be able to sign Tavares. And if Tavares does not sign with us, we are not cap restrained. Seems like there’s no problem here. 

If Tavares signs, there is zero room to add to the d-core, if he doesn't this team is a basement dweller.  

Seems like there's a problem here. 

People are talking salaries like the team is set in stone for next year. With the continued emphasis on "attitude wasn't there", no way the year starts with some of the same key players on the roster. And with that, goes their salary.

26 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

If Tavares signs, there is zero room to add to the d-core, if he doesn't this team is a basement dweller.  

If tavares signs... pacioretty can be traded for a dman instead of a centre.

Schlemko and benn are also movable parts. So is byron.

I also dont buy the idea that shaw is immovable.

Lastly the cap is going anywhere from 80-82 this year.

There is room for tavares and a dman.

I think tavares is about what team he wants to play for.  I dont believe its all about money for him.  I think he takes 12 mill and 7 yrs and leaves his new team money for other moves.  Im not convinced that team is montreal 

35 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Tavares doesn’t change a bottom dweller to a contender. Either we’re not a bottom dweller or we’re not winning a cup with him anyway. I’d love Tavares but he hasn’t proven to be a Crosby or Toews in the playoffs, and it’s also because he hasn’t had the supporting cast. He never pushed the Islanders over the top on his own, not should he have to.

If the Habs can be a contender with Tavares, it will be because Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty if he’s on the team, Gallagher, and perhaps even Zadina will have had solid seasons. That also leaves room for one of Hudon or Lehkonen to improve on their lackluster season this year or even Byron to maintain being the player he’s been.

It’s not true that the chips are all in on Tavares. If we don’t land him, it’s a worse case scenario but we can still work on acquiring a more mediocre center (Stastny) or two for the same

cost of Tavares, or a center and that additional left handed defenseman.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If tavares signs... pacioretty can be traded for a dman instead of a centre.

Schlemko and benn are also movable parts. So is byron.

I also dont buy the idea that shaw is immovable.

Lastly the cap is going anywhere from 80-82 this year.

There is room for tavares and a dman.

I think tavares is about what team he wants to play for.  I dont believe its all about money for him.  I think he takes 12 mill and 7 yrs and leaves his new team money for other moves.  Im not convinced that team is montreal 

21 million in cap space.... Sign rfa's...

If Tavares takes less than 15, then maybe you have a bit of Wiggle room.

As for trading Pacioretty, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a top four d-man, with a lesser cap hit than Pac. 

I guess if you can also move Schlemko for a pick... 

Assuming Pleks is coming back here to play 3C, and if Bergevin is successful in bringing in a top 6 centerman, I do wonder if that is the "ideal world" in which Drouin is moved to the wing.

10 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Assuming Pleks is coming back here to play 3C, and if Bergevin is successful in bringing in a top 6 centerman, I do wonder if that is the "ideal world" in which Drouin is moved to the wing.

I would expect Pelks to be coming back as a 4C. We need a real 1C and I would give Drouin a chance to develop at center unless we make another trade. I would even play Danault at 2C and Drouin at 3C for some time until he earns back the 2C.

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would expect Pelks to be coming back as a 4C. We need a real 1C and I would give Drouin a chance to develop at center unless we make another trade. I would even play Danault at 2C and Drouin at 3C for some time until he earns back the 2C.

We saw with the Leafs how uninterested Pleks is when he's given 4th line minutes. I doubt he signs with any team without an assured role of some importance.

59 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

We saw with the Leafs how uninterested Pleks is when he's given 4th line minutes. I doubt he signs with any team without an assured role of some importance.

Then the CH shouldn't sign him. They need to put together a cup contending team where Pleks is not good enough to play 3C

I prefer Danault as 3C instead of Pleks

19 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

You did read the post?  The math is there to do both.

18 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Tavares doesn’t change a bottom dweller to a contender. Either we’re not a bottom dweller or we’re not winning a cup with him anyway. I’d love Tavares but he hasn’t proven to be a Crosby or Toews in the playoffs, and it’s also because he hasn’t had the supporting cast. He never pushed the Islanders over the top on his own, not should he have to.

If the Habs can be a contender with Tavares, it will be because Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty if he’s on the team, Gallagher, and perhaps even Zadina will have had solid seasons. That also leaves room for one of Hudon or Lehkonen to improve on their lackluster season this year or even Byron to maintain being the player he’s been.

It’s not true that the chips are all in on Tavares. If we don’t land him, it’s a worse case scenario but we can still work on acquiring a more mediocre center (Stastny) or two for the same

cost of Tavares, or a center and that additional left handed defenseman.

I agree and disagree.  Tavares isn't the only C out there, but he is the one who is most readily available.  And, I think he does change this team drastically.  The reason is that we have way too many forwards playing out of position to make up for the lack of a 1A Centre.  Put Tavares there and everyone else moves a little closer to where they should play and all have a better chance to succeed.