Plekanec traded to Leafs

EMELINATOR

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Then the CH shouldn't sign him. They need to put together a cup contending team where Pleks is not good enough to play 3C

I prefer Danault as 3C instead of Pleks

I see Danault more as a very well-rounded 2C. Not sure how much higher his point totals can go, but he's pretty much in line with what Stastny is producing these days, and he's usually due to mis at least 15-20 games a season due to injury. Obviously not the same offensive pedigree, though, but time will tell if Danault can consistently produce at 0.5 ppg. I think the cost of bringing in Stastny wouldn't be worth it - assuming he's the best option for 2C on the free agent market (should he not sign back with Winnipeg).

That's probably because you haven't seen a team with 2 legit top 2 centers on it. 

Danault is a #3 on most every team in the league, if he is your #2, you have issues. 

No way they should resign Plaeks, at any Price

4 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

True, but be careful.

If your D can't get the puck out of their own end, that 15 million dollar forward becomes a little less appealing. 

That's probably going to be an issue for some time. If you look at the defencemen Bergevin moved this year, it wasn't like he tried to get rid of his pylons. He did get rid of Davidson but also moved Jerabek and Morrow. Alzner, Benn, and Schlemko will get another shot. Maybe one traded but that's it, and I doubt it's Alzner.

Montreal has had good luck finding D unlike centres so they might as well bet everything on Tavares and figure everything out after. That is exactly what they are gonna do. Bergevin's is about to go bankrupt and he's banking everything on a lottery ticket.

In terms of negotiating, Plekanec has pretty much painted himself into a corner. He has stated he wants to return to Montreal, so now Bergevin can low ball the bejesus out of him. I'd like to see him play his 1000th game as a Hab but I also wouldn't care too much if he signed elsewhere. 

I understand people saying we should not resign Plekanec but I’d like the Habs to do so. The problem I see is having Danault and Plekanec on the same team. It pretty much ensures at least one of them would be playing higher in the lineup than they should be.

If the Habs do decide to offer a contract to Plekanec, I would want it to be towards the middle or end of free agency.  Not on July 1st or the first few weeks.  There are more important holes to spend cap space on than bringing back a guy for depth or nostalgic reasons.  If we sign or strike out on the players that make this team better first and still have cap space left over, I wouldn't have a problem with bringing him back.

What if we re-sign him to be Torrey Mitchel v2.0, McCarron and De La Rose are hardly shoe ins for 4th C, Plekanec could fill the role while being some insurance in case of injuries. Danault could still slot in at #3, and we could still be on the hunt for a 1C and 2C.

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Link67 said:

What if we re-sign him to be Torrey Mitchel v2.0, McCarron and De La Rose are hardly shoe ins for 4th C, Plekanec could fill the role while being some insurance in case of injuries. Danault could still slot in at #3, and we could still be on the hunt for a 1C and 2C.

I would do that, bring back Peks as our 4C and and a mentor (groom him as a coach), and I would package DLR and any/all of Carr/McCarron/Rychel for a 2C or 1LD

Poehling, Vejdemo, Ikonen or Bitten could grow from Plek's 4C slot once he retires

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would do that, bring back Peks as our 4C and and a mentor (groom him as a coach), and I would package DLR and any/all of Carr/McCarron/Rychel for a 2C or 1LD

Poehling, Vejdemo, Ikonen or Bitten could grow from Plek's 4C slot once he retires

DLR/Carr/McCarron/Rychel,.... you can put all of them together in a package and it won't matter, they don't have the value of a 2C or 1LD.

• Upvote 1

Sign Tavares.

Trade the third overall plus for Dubois

Trade PACs for a LHD.

Or

Sign Tavares.

Trade the third overall plus for OEL

Trade Pacs for a 2nd line centre.

On 2018-05-02 at 12:35 PM, titanfan said:

Here are some numbers t think about:

Estimated $80 million dollar cap for next season.

Committed now for Mtl. = $55m

(That includes - Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Petry, A. Shaw, Byron, Scherback, Lehkonen, Deslauriers, Hudon, Froese, Benn, Jullsen, Mete, and Reilly.)

Add $1m for a back up goaltender - (Niemi, Lindgren, whoever.)  And add $2m for Pleks.

= $58 million.

So, $22million in cap space.

Leave $2 million for wiggle room means we (could) have $20 to spend.  I say could have because I conveniently left our the $6.75m owed to Alzner and Scherbak.

At that point we have $13.25 to comfortably offer Tavares.  (Even if we can't get rid of Alzner and/or Scherbak)

Sign Tavares at $15m and then offer Pacioretty, Alzner, picks for either Karlsson or Doughty.  (You most likely need to throw in another player or two - Danault and DLR?)

$13.25 plus $4.5 (Patches) and $4.625 (Alzner) = $22.372 remaining.  After Tavares = $7.372.  (Doughty is signed for a year at $7m and Karlsson at one year for $6.5m).

And with the wiggle room above, you can sign Zadina and keep him up with the Habs.

You then have a year to figure out where to get the extra $5m for Doughty or Karlsson the following year.  But by then maybe you are able to move A. Shaw or Petry.  (And of course the cap will most likely go up a little more for 2019-2020 anyway).

It is tight - but doable.  (FYI - I know I am dreaming, but a good GM puts all his options on the table and does everything he can to make it happen).

no Gm in his right mind would trade either Doughty or Karlsson for MaxPac, Alzner and some picks! Just not gonna happen. Like Hab29Retired mentioned, you'd have to give alot more to get a quality d-man like Doughty or Karlsson!

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

no Gm in his right mind would trade either Doughty or Karlsson for MaxPac, Alzner and some picks! Just not gonna happen. Like Hab29Retired mentioned, you'd have to give alot more to get a quality d-man like Doughty or Karlsson!

Correct.. likely looking at Pacs, Juulsen, Ikonen, a couple of Firsts and you hope they take Alz for cap.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

DLR/Carr/McCarron/Rychel,.... you can put all of them together in a package and it won't matter, they don't have the value of a 2C or 1LD.

I get it Commandant, you written that to me on my hare brain trade proposals 

I do not know what to package to get a 1LD or 2C but I think bringing back Pleks and getting rid of those  made irrelevant by Ikonen, Vejdemo , Poehling

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I get it Commandant, you written that to me on my hare brain trade proposals 

I do not know what to package to get a 1LD or 2C but I think bringing back Pleks and getting rid of those  made irrelevant by Ikonen, Vejdemo , Poehling

Ryan McDonaugh with JT Miller cost Brett Howden (1B/2A centre prospect), Namstiknov (25 year old 20 goal winger), Hajek (prospect D), 1st and conditional 2nd. And that was a big win for Tampa.

Kyle Turris cost Kamenev (2B centre prospect), Sam Girard (top 4 D prospect better than all of our D prospects) and a 2nd. He was also a UFA this summer and signed an extension when traded. Again this was a win for Nashville though Colorado will be happy with Girard.

That should give you an idea.

Ok, i would then  package Galchenyuk , DLR, Lernout  and Two 2nd draft picks for a 2C 20g/50p and a 3LD/depth to replace Lernout in our depth but from the other side 

That's a 3rd over all (Chucky) a 2nd (DLR), both youngNHLers! A bottom pair RD and some picks 

If they prefer Alzner with ratatines cap instead, then that's fine too 

My point remains that with a 2C with better upside than Danault; signing Pleks makes sense

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok, i would then  package Galchenyuk , DLR, Lernout  and Two 2nd draft picks for a 2C 20g/50p and a 3LD/depth to replace Lernout in our depth but from the other side 

That's a 3rd over all (Chucky) a 2nd (DLR), both youngNHLers! A bottom pair RD and some picks 

So who are you trying to get for that?

Ryan O'Reilly? Nazem Kadri? Adam Henrique? Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Matt Duchene? 

16 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

So who are you trying to get for that?

Ryan O'Reilly? Nazem Kadri? Adam Henrique? Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Matt Duchene? 

That's what I don't know: what those players would fetch for the CH.

Elias Lindholm? Mikael Backlund? Sam Reinhart? Joel Eriksson Ek? Dylan Strome?

I don't think it is enough for ROR or RNH

The point was that if we could get a better 2C by sacrificing Chucky, and DLR we could get by with

2C

Lehks-Danault-A.Shaw

DLo-Pleks-Byron

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't think it is enough for ROR or RNH

The point was that if we could get a better 2C by sacrificing Chucky, and DLR we could get by with

2C

Lehks-Danault-A.Shaw

DLo-Pleks-Byron

:huh:

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

:huh:

Yeah, I lnow, doesn't make sense to talk trades in the Pleks thread

just answering MoLG without getting into égratigne the top 6 are

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't think Arizona is letting go of Keller or Strome until they know what they have in them. Ek and Lindholm are likely a no. Reinhart is a no since Buffalo is more likely to trade ROR. We got a Backlund in Danault. 

I would actually call Arizona about Laurent Dauphin. Not because he was traded by them and they traded back for him, but because his offensive numbers have been quite good in the AHL and Keller/Strome likely create a logjam. I like what he's shown a heck of a lot more than De la Rose and maybe Arizona would swing that since DLR is a bit better defensively. I like Dauphin's ceiling more.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Olofsson (56 overall 2018) Valiev (68 overall 2014) , Rychel (19 overall 2013) for Pleks, that was not a bad trade after all.

We have to give Bergevin some credit here

If Plekanec comes back to center our 4th line, that may be really good if he can mentor the Canadiens center prospects :)