NHL trade deadline thread

Trizzak

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Tampa was most interested in him and went with McDonaugh instead. Didn't hear much of anyone else who wanted him.

Toronto was in at one point.  He was the top rental blueliner available (on paper, at least).  The defensive market didn't really materialize beyond McDonagh.

Sucks to be Namestnikov 

So MB had Niemi, Benn, Schlemko, Alzner, Pacioretty, Shaw and more that he could've dealt, but he finishes the day having moved only Plekanec, Morrow and Jerabek.

Very disappointing deadline from a very disappointing GM.  

Well, no big surprise that this was another dud of a deadline day for the Habs.

They are not rebuilding, so they're not about to ship out major assets for picks and prospects.

They are not a playoff team, so they're not about to load up.

All that leaves is minor tinkering and trading an expiring contract like Pleks.

MaxPac will probably be dealt in the summer as part of a pure player-for-player hockey trade. Conversely, if the Habs sign Tavares, then maybe we keep Patches to be his trigger-man.

Drab and boring day, just like every other day of this wretched season.

2 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

So MB had Niemi, Benn, Schlemko, Alzner, Pacioretty, Shaw and more that he could've dealt, but he finishes the day having moved only Plekanec, Morrow and Jerabek.

Especially since there was talk Pittsburgh wanted Benn. I bet Bergevin wanted too much.

I don't think Alzner is someone that could have realistically been dealt.  Four years left on his current contract with how he has played this year is pretty much untouchable.  I thought Niemi might move but no goalies were dealt.  I wonder what the asking price was on Benn - if it was a fourth for Morrow, I suspect it would have been higher for Benn.  That's the one that surprises me a bit.

4 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

What contending team would want Niemi? Every other player on that list has term left, and Benn/Schlemko are scrap heaps on the Habs defense...again, what contender wants them? Patches and Shaw, I don't think anyone realistically thought they were moving at the deadline.

People expect so much every deadline. Expectactions are just unrealistic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think Alzner is someone that could have realistically been dealt.  Four years left on his current contract with how he has played this year is pretty much untouchable.  I thought Niemi might move but no goalies were dealt.  I wonder what the asking price was on Benn - if it was a fourth for Morrow, I suspect it would have been higher for Benn.  That's the one that surprises me a bit.

Unless someone wants him at 50% I expect him to be bought out in 2020: $3.9/$1.9/$0.8/$0.8

3 minutes ago, huzer said:

What contending team would want Niemi? Every other player on that list has term left, and Benn/Schlemko are scrap heaps on the Habs defense...again, what contender wants them? Patches and Shaw, I don't think anyone realistically thought they were moving at the deadline.

People expect so much every deadline. Expectactions are just unrealistic.

If Morrow can fetch a 4th and Reilly can fetch a 5th I have a hard time believing that Benn and, to a lesser extent, Schlemko would have no value.  I get that moving Alzner would've been difficult, but with all our picks, he could've been packaged with one to a team with cap space to get the contract off the books.  It's not that unheard of.  

Just now, nhfarber said:

If Morrow can fetch a 4th and Reilly can fetch a 5th I have a hard time believing that Benn and, to a lesser extent, Schlemko would have no value.  I get that moving Alzner would've been difficult, but with all our picks, he could've been packaged with one to a team with cap space to get the contract off the books.  It's not that unheard of.  

Montreal might think they just need a quick retool but they also don't think they are in a position to give up picks and prospects to shed salary. They were reportedly in discussion to help facilitate a trade for Karlsson the same way Vegas did, in which Karlsson would get traded to Montreal, we'd eat salary, then trade him to the team that wanted him. Alzner is a shame the team is likely to carry for another two years.

4 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

Those players are both young and cheap whereas the other two are veterans.  Schlemko has two years left at a cap hit that's higher than most depth guys have so I'm not shocked he stayed put.  Benn should have been able to fetch a mid-round pick but do the Habs think he's worth more than that?   They did think highly enough of him to get rid of Beaulieu to make sure they didn't risk losing him for free in June in expansion so clearly, they value him a fair bit.

I'm disappointed that Max didn't move...sort of.  I thought maybe a team that saw themselves in a cup window this year and next might pay a premium to get him, compared to what he might be worth in the summer.  If the offers weren't good, then I have to concede that MB did the right thing.

1 minute ago, Chris said:

So they traded a #7 dman for another #7 dman. Classic MB

in year 6 i beleive, his centers are today, Danault, DLR and  Froese

I can't imagine that there is a team in the league that's worse at center than the Canadiens are today.

Drouin isn't a center, not even close. 

and for whatever reason MB CJ will never play Galchenyuk there. 

Sorry about the Avs game, my trpohy wife and I didn't realize it was you and your son. lol 

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Drouin isn't a center, not even close. 

and for whatever reason MB CJ will never play Galchenyuk there. 

Sorry about the Avs game, my trpohy wife and I didn't realize it was you and your son. lol 

I forgot to cross out Drouin as well. How the Habs have managed to get weaker at C is quite impressive.

Haha. Damn you! Funny thing is that spot there's ALWAYS a woman and her son from the hockey association we play at standing there. This was the first time in probably 20 games or so that we didn't see them there, so my son was excited. He still got a Chucky hat last year and was excited that he still got knuckles from everyone, despite having to lay on his belly a few rows up. He'll be goalie during intermission at the Flames game on Wednesday. 

Like I been saying for some time on here this year, its a retool not a rebuild. No need to trade those guys if you're not rebuilding. 

Bergevin is putting all his hopes in the fact that he can sign tavares July 1st. If he can't I can see him then trading Pacioretty.

Rumors that I've heard is that Bergevin wants an NHL ready player for Pacioretty (and that he's asking too much).  So I would agree that he's planning a retool not a rebuild.  I'm hoping that if Bergevin moves Pacioretty for NHL ready player that he is young enough to be under team control for many years.  Either already signed to an 8 year deal or will become an RFA when his contract expires.

9 minutes ago, John B said:

Rumors that I've heard is that Bergevin wants an NHL ready player for Pacioretty (and that he's asking too much).  So I would agree that he's planning a retool not a rebuild.  I'm hoping that if Bergevin moves Pacioretty for NHL ready player that he is young enough to be under team control for many years.  Either already signed to an 8 year deal or will become an RFA when his contract expires.

He wanted Charlie Coyle and a first from Minnesota.

I guess there were some serious negotiations with Florida in the final hour or so, but I wonder if that was Florida trying to make their NHL ready player Bjugstad and Bergevin not being convinced.