NHL trade deadline thread

Trizzak

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Year after year they plan for the trade deadline. Year after year they know they create a boring show displaying the same five clips of the same 20 players for like 10 hours. Each year they likely sit in a room and say, "Should we do more? Should we create discussions on some of these players? Or discuss teams at the trade deadline point and how the playoffs will shake out? Or discuss summer free agents? Or anything?" and it's likely every time a producer says, "We can't do any long form segments because we need speed to cut to a trade!" and so they instead go into the day with next to no material.

Every year. Same result.In the social media generation you could easily cut a conversation to a trade and post the whole conversation on TSN.ca if anyone did want to hear the whole thing. But nah. I was only a producer for a couple months, so I'm an amateur compared to these guys.

The show is shit. 

But, the show draws huge ratings compared to whatever filler they would have on tv on a Monday afternoon in its place. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The show is shit. 

But, the show draws huge ratings compared to whatever filler they would have on tv on a Monday afternoon in its place. 

Of course it does. It's an event.

That's no excuse to produce a bad show.

32 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Of course it does. It's an event.

That's no excuse to produce a bad show.

I'm just saying the suggestion to not produce a show and just make them analyze in a short video on social media and tsn.ca is a non-starter. 

They aren't going to get the same ratings with whatever replacement they have on the network. 

There are a lot of posts, so sorry if someone already mentioned this:

Habs finish the day with 10 draft picks in the 2018 draft, all of them before the 6th round, and potentially 9 of them before the 5th round (if trade conditions are met with Edmonton and LA).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

St Louis has been struggling for a bit and falling down the standings. Looks like the GM doesn't believe in his team at all. 

as opposed to MB thinking he has a good team - they just aren't performing, so its not his fault.

5 hours ago, Chris said:

The habs 2 best centers may be in college right now. 

i don't think the best two centres for this team have been born yet - because like you know, top centres are hard to get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nhfarber said:

If Morrow can fetch a 4th and Reilly can fetch a 5th I have a hard time believing that Benn and, to a lesser extent, Schlemko would have no value.  I get that moving Alzner would've been difficult, but with all our picks, he could've been packaged with one to a team with cap space to get the contract off the books.  It's not that unheard of.  

Benn likely has value to other GMs, but Schlemko probably slide right through waivers.

I doubt he wanted to move Alzner that bad.

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Must be nice to have a g.m that can pull the trigger. Tampa needed another puck mover and Yzerman delivered 

and he didn't even give up sergechev to make that deal. You can bet that if MB was in his shoes he would have moved his top young dman prospect

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Expecting to be traded:

Pacioretty, Schlemko

Want traded:

delaRose, Lenkohnen, Carr, L.Shaw, Schlemko and two 2018 2nd draft picks to get a 1C and another D prospect.

Wow, I really suck at being GM :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, BlueKross said:

I said that about Yzerman a few years back and almost got my head bit off.

He made some mistakes early on (Callahan), which made him easy to criticize. I once said that Jarmo Kekelainen was one of the best GMs in the league. It got retweeted a bunch of times as to say how dumb I was. Doesn't get retweeted much anymore. Maybe if the Blue Jackets miss the playoffs someone will find it.

The only move I don't consider him smart was how he handled Stamkos. Even if he knew Stamkos only wanted to play for Tampa, that hardline stance could have backfired. All Stamkos had to do was change his mind. I don't think that makes someone a great GM. But the people he surrounded himself in his organization with, and his overall trades, he's definitely one of the best. Letting BriseBois go... ugh.

From Friedman:

Pacioretty told the media that he met with GM Marc Bergevin after the deadline. While whatever was said in that conversation remains private, there is no doubt it changed his outlook. In the days and weeks leading up to Monday, Pacioretty never explicitly demanded a trade, but his feelings were well-known inside the organization. Frustrated and tired, he was ready to go. Bergevin didn’t make it easy. He aimed high and never wavered. It’s believed that, when Los Angeles inquired, Bergevin’s ask involved Tyler Toffoli, 2017 first-rounder Gabriel Vilardi and possibly more. The Kings quickly said no. Another belief: He asked Minnesota for Charlie Coyle-plus, also a no. One of Pacioretty’s preferred destinations is Florida. GM Dale Tallon is close with Bergevin. I suspect the Canadiens targeted Vincent Trocheck. The Panthers weren’t doing that. You get the idea. Montreal valued Pacioretty and refused to make a panic move at the buzzer.

Basically if Bergevin was trading Pacioretty he wanted prospects, picks, and a top six player to go in the lineup and still perform. I welcome the inevitable conclusion of Pacioretty walking as a free agent next summer because Bergevin couldn't get his retool package.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

From Friedman:

Basically if Bergevin was trading Pacioretty he wanted prospects, picks, and a top six player to go in the lineup and still perform. I welcome the inevitable conclusion of Pacioretty walking as a free agent next summer because Bergevin couldn't get his retool package.

MB should be asking for a lot and the fact that Ottawa and Rangers flooded the market surely meant we weren't getting what we should at the deadline. I will anxiously wait till June and hopefully he can get a good deal. I would be sad if we go into the season with Patches here and even sadder if he is here all next season.

I prefer what MB did in Montreal to what Dorion did in Ottawa.

Having a solid revenue base and cap space gives a glimmer of hope for this summer: but the Canadiens cannot screw up like they did with Drouin!

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

From Friedman:

If Pacioretty doesn't move this summer than I also believe that he will walk next summer for nothing.  I have a feeling that the Habs will be holding down a playoff spot at next year's trade deadline or will be battling for a playoff spot.  Which means the Habs will be buyers and will not be moving out any expiring contracts.

I’m always playing devil’s advocate when it comes to Pacioretty but many of the same people who claim that Pacioretty won’t resign with us are the same people who claim that we won’t be spending our available cap space because players like Tavares are pipe dreams. If we won’t be spending all the cap space on resigning Pacioretty to an “overpayment” of 7 million, and we won’t be landing big fish like Tavares, then what will we possibly be spending our cap space on? 

And if the argument is that Pacioretty himself wouldn’t accept a decent contract offer from the club based on “incidents” from this year, well then it’s a straw man argument, and no more likely than my argument that he could resign. 

13 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Pacioretty will probably come back on an 8x8. Why would he take any less in Montreal? He already took less once.

Absolutely. Especially after all the sh*t he's had to eat from fans this season, if I'm him I would pull a Subban and tell my agent to squeeze Bergevin's balls for every last drop. He owes the Habs nothing.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Absolutely. Especially after all the sh*t he's had to eat from fans this season, if I'm him I would pull a Subban and tell my agent to squeeze Bergevin's balls for every last drop. He owes the Habs nothing.

It's got to be a really painful experience for him. He seems to be a real good guy too. I hope we can move on from all this and have a hockey team for him to play on soon. I really think MB's mechanistic approach is a problem. We need a Habs lover as GM. 

58 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

It's got to be a really painful experience for him. He seems to be a real good guy too. I hope we can move on from all this and have a hockey team for him to play on soon. I really think MB's mechanistic approach is a problem. We need a Habs lover as GM. 

I want George Gillett or someone like him to buy the team and find a GM that understands Montreal media enough to ignore it and hires people around them that understands where the game is going and not just what worked once before.