2018 draft thread

Meller93

If there’s already a thread for this apologies, I couldn’t find one.

But as the season winds down, and we seem to be settling solidly on a bottom 10, and possibly bottom 5 finish, I can’t help but have a tickle of excitement (admitted tanknation at this point.)

Now we’ve all had our daydreams about drafting Dahlin, and while there’s a small chance that could happen, what I’m interested to hear about are who we could take with the likely 4-7 slot we’re currently hovering around.

At this point, Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina are almost certainly to have gone in the top 3. So it’s the next wave I’m thinking about.

I think it most like that next, Tkachuk, Boqvist, and Bouchard will be drafted, with other names like Hughes and Wahlstrom.

In the event we can pick between any one these guys, who do you go for and why?

Most sources have Tkachuk and Boqvist before Bouchard, but he seems like a hell of a player too. Personally I think Bouchard could go at 6-7, and I’d be estatic to nab him there.

In Bouchard, you have a 6’2, 190 lbs d man. NHL size if I ever saw it. With 25 goals and 87 points in 67 games, I believe he leads all OHL d-men. This guy actually tied Mete and beat Juolevi LAST year for team lead in point by a dman (albeit in more games).

By all accounts he’s also a very solid two-way player under the tutelage of Dale Hunter, who has produced a couple half decent NHLers like Nash, Perry, Kane, Tavares, Gagner, Carlson, Domi, Namestinekov, Kadri, Marner, Horvat, Maata, Mete, Tkachuk... (decent track record).

Hunter actually compares this guy directly to John Carlson, who he coached - says he’s right there with him. I’d be happy to draft a John Carlson.

He’s also the captain (so CHaracter duh), AND he has a French sounding last name - what more could Bergevin ask for?!?

With the front end talent in this draft, I think Bouchard is actually flying under the radar. Could be a great selection to help out our terrible back end.

How I rank them

Tier 1: Dahlin

Tier 2: Svechnikov, Zadina

Tier 3: Boqvist, Dobson, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes

Tier 4: Bouchard, Smith, Veleno, Kotakniemi, Kupari, Lundestrom, Farabee, 

Bouchard's skating is what puts him a step behind Tier 3 IMO.  Its just average, where Boqvist, Dobson and Hughes are closer to elite skaters. 

• Upvote 1

Oliver Wahlstrom

6'1" listed as a centre in Hockeydb(?), but assume he is more a winger.

23games 21g 40pts with USNDT in the USHL. Intriguing #s.

He is headed for Harvard next year (or committed to anyways).

2 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Just my opinion, but unless it's Dahlin, this team needs to be taking an elite forward with this pick. Not a d-man 

Current roster needs not really a big factor, likely only Dahlin will be in NHL next year and rest will likely take 2 years or so. I only agree not to take any d-man in top ten if he lacks the skating and puck skills to contribute offensively. Solid defensive d-men projects can be found in 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Current roster needs not really a big factor, likely only Dahlin will be in NHL next year and rest will likely take 2 years or so. I only agree not to take any d-man in top ten if he lacks the skating and puck skills to contribute offensively. Solid defensive d-men projects can be found in 2nd round.

Well we do have 30 second round picks....

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

How I rank them

Bouchard's skating is what puts him a step behind Tier 3 IMO.  Its just average, where Boqvist, Dobson and Hughes are closer to elite skaters. 

I think I agree with all of this except Tkachuk at Tier 3. I think he's getting overrated. 

If we don't get the 1st overall pick, should Bergevin look into trading the pick for a player to help now in this retool period we're going through?

Truth be told he should of traded that 3rd round pick for a player that could of helped us win instead of drafting galchenyuk.

I mean we have four 2nd round picks a top 5 pick (maybe) plus a 2nd could land us a top 4 Dman that we need now.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

How I rank them

I was expecting Veleno to be higher because of some hype in the news not too long ago

. What's putting him in tier 4 Commandant?

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

How I rank them

Ah very interesting, that’s the type of thing I was hoping to learn. Skating is always a huge factor when translating to the next level.

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was expecting Veleno to be higher because of some hype in the news not too long ago

. What's putting him in tier 4 Commandant?

I see him as a future second line centre, more than a first liner.  A guy who will play a 200 foot game and play against other team's top lines, but isn't quite the franchise centre that you want. 

He's missing the shooting ability to be up in the top tier. His shot lacks power and his release isn't elite. 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I see him as a future second line centre, more than a first liner.  A guy who will play a 200 foot game and play against other team's top lines, but isn't quite the franchise centre that you want. 

He's missing the shooting ability to be up in the top tier. His shot lacks power and his release isn't elite. 

Kyle Turris like maybe? 

Also so who do you guys prefer between Zadina and Svechnikov ?

Side note, Quinton Hughes brother Jack could push for #1 overall in 2019. Already destroying the same league as Walstrom at 16.

- Svechnikov is a better skater and more dynamic than Zadina. I have him ahead. 

- Jack Hughes is my #1 for 2019.  He could be better than Auston Matthews/Jack Eichel.   Don't think he's at McDavid level, but hes damn good. 

- Veleno I'd compare to a Patrice Bergeron - Lite.   Not quite as good as Bergeron but that type of a role. 

- Wahlstrom played centre in 2016-17.  This season he has been almost exclusively at RW with Hughes at Centre. 

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Dumb it down for me, what does this mean?

Overthink how?

Never mind the joke is no good now lol, each pick has a time clock on it. Guess this year it's 30's per pick.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

- Jack Hughes is my #1 for 2019.  He could be better than Auston Matthews/Jack Eichel.   Don't think he's at McDavid level, but hes damn good.

Agree...Hughes is exactly what this team desperately needs.

8 hours ago, Metallica said:

If we don't get the 1st overall pick, should Bergevin look into trading the pick for a player to help now in this retool period we're going through?

Truth be told he should of traded that 3rd round pick for a player that could of helped us win instead of drafting galchenyuk.

I mean we have four 2nd round picks a top 5 pick (maybe) plus a 2nd could land us a top 4 Dman that we need now.

I think this might be a good route. Pacioretty or Galchenyuk + top 6 first rounder + top 6 second rounder if a true number one center could be had. Wonder if that would get O'Reilly?  They have Eichel already.

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Agree...Hughes is exactly what this team desperately needs.

Fortunately the game is played indoors.  A strong wind would blow the Lil feller all over the ice. 157 pounds? Unless I'm looking at old data.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

How I rank them

How do you rank Barrett Hayton, a centre? 

39 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Fortunately the game is played indoors.  A strong wind would blow the Lil feller all over the ice. 157 pounds? Unless I'm looking at old data.

He’s 16 though. By the time he makes the show I’d bet he packs on 20 pounds.

besides, ever hear of Johnny Gaudreau? The guy weighs exactly 157 pounds. Size isn’t what it used to be