2018 draft thread

Meller93

16 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I'm not as jazzed as I was a week ago, that's for certain.

I don't know what worries me more Bergevin and the draft or Bergevin July 1st with 14mil.

• Like 1

Always really look forward to it and have never ever been 'worried' about picks, just more curious or anxious than anything else.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

One week away anyone else have a bad bad feeling.

I am actually looking forward to it.

As far as entertainment enjoyment goes, I am enjoying this ride: the more drama the more fun.

I think that come September, we will have a playoff team

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

As far as entertainment enjoyment goes, I am enjoying this ride: the more drama the more fun.

It all depends on what Bergevin does to fix the defense on this team. Price was left to hang way to many times.  I know we need a center but I think the D is more important.

41 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That’s the same nonsense I heard after the Sergechev trade/failed Markov/radulov re-signings and idiotic Alzner signing. 

I think come September we may have a team that would have trouble competing for the AHL playoffs.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s the same nonsense I heard after the Sergechev trade/failed Markov/radulov re-signings and idiotic Alzner signing. 

I think come September we may have a team that would have trouble competing for the AHL playoffs.

I would take a bet on that !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, illWill said:

Fair warning, he has never been wrong about anything, just ask him and he'll tell you 

:rolleyes: I'll keep that in mind 

• Like 1

It figures in a year where  the Habs "win" at the draft lottery to move up a spot to #3, there is no clear cut consensus player in that position. And it's not even between a couple players, you could make the argument for like 8 guys being picked there. I'd hate to be Bergevin on that podium. 

Man I hope we get this one right

I still think Zadina is the best player available at 3. Kotkaniemi had 29 points (57 games) in an adult league last year and while that’s not bad, one has to assume the NHL is that much tougher. Zadina is more NHL ready production wise in my own opinion despite Kotkaniemi already having played with grown men. Unlike many, I’ll be surprised if we don’t take Zadina but at this point I just want the draft to be here already. 

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I still think Zadina is the best player available at 3. Kotkaniemi had 29 points (57 games) in an adult league last year and while that’s not bad, one has to assume the NHL is that much tougher. Zadina is more NHL ready production wise in my own opinion despite Kotkaniemi already having played with grown men. Unlike many, I’ll be surprised if we don’t take Zadina but at this point I just want the draft to be here already. 

league comparisons;

http://www.hockeyanalytics.com/Research_files/League_Equivalencies.pdf

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I would assume that with Bergevin saying the pick is in play, they're pretty much taking Kotkaniemi 

I am hoping that the plan is something like, Zadina will replace Galchenyuk and MB will package a player/prospect and whatever else is needed to get another 1st round pick to draft a centre we need.

I feel confident for the fact that MB knows his beloved job and reputation is definitely on the line here. If he fails and makes poor decisions and poor trades I think he will be gone sometime this fall and he knows it. Molson has made that pretty clear, things must improve. If MB does poorly Molson will not be able to hold out any longer without replacing MB. That is why I feel confident that we are going to see very good results and a much better team this fall. Plus the new coaches and their input gives me added confidence.

After listening to Shane Don's comments I feel like there is a genuine possibility that Max Domi could be a much better player than what he has shown so far. Numbers don't show that just yet but Domi's work ethic at both ends of the ice has the possibility of making us a better team overall. I know thats "glass half full thinking" but I honestly think it's a fair possibility.  

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Assuming those charts are accurate, Kotkaniemi would have had 22 points over an 82 game NHL season last year and Zadina would have had 33 points.

Kotkaniemi Math

29 points/57 games 

.508 poins per game 

.508x82 games

41.71 points

Finnish league is worth .54 of NHL statistics

41.71x0.54 = 22.52 NHL points

Zadina Math

82 points/57 games

1.438 points per game 

1.438x82 games

117.96 points

QMJHL is worth .28 of NHL points

117.96x0.28 = 33.03 NHL points

41 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I would assume that with Bergevin saying the pick is in play, they're pretty much taking Kotkaniemi 

What incentive does Bergevin have for being honest in this situation? 

26 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What incentive does Bergevin have for being honest in this situation? 

Nothing is certain, but the way this team is made up and the fact that Bergevin just dealt one of our best trade chips to get another winger, gives me a feeling that he's taking a centre at the draft. 

The goal in drafting is not to take the best player today, but the best in 5 years from now. 

Zadina is 7 months older than Kotkaniemi.  How do you factor that in to your Comparison of their two seasons. 

Its something a scout has to do. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Assuming those charts are accurate, Kotkaniemi would have had 22 points over an 82 game NHL season last year and Zadina would have had 33 points.

Kotkaniemi Math

29 points/57 games 

.508 poins per game 

.508x82 games

41.71 points

Finnish league is worth .54 of NHL statistics

41.71x0.54 = 22.52 NHL points

Zadina Math

82 points/57 games

1.438 points per game 

1.438x82 games

117.96 points

QMJHL is worth .28 of NHL points

117.96x0.28 = 33.03 NHL points

You don't really need math to note just by watching them, that Zadina is the more Dynamic and Skilled player. However he is not a C or a LD, and for that reason, they might just be crazy enough to leave him on the board when they get on that podium.

The thought of passing on that kid still scares the shit out of me to this day, even though I know it is very likely at this point, I don't know, leaves my stomach in knots thinking about a scenario where Zadina is flirting with 40 goal seasons elsewhere year after year. 

28 minutes ago, Link67 said:

You don't really need math to note just by watching them, that Zadina is the more Dynamic and Skilled player. However he is not a C or a LD, and for that reason, they might just be crazy enough to leave him on the board when they get on that podium.

The thought of passing on that kid still scares the shit out of me to this day, even though I know it is very likely at this point, I don't know, leaves my stomach in knots thinking about a scenario where Zadina is flirting with 40 goal seasons elsewhere year after year. 

Wahlstrom also looks like a NHL sniper to be, several of the d-men look to be future top four guys, Tchuck looks like a power forward that the Habs could really use....so not sure why you are scared or worried, lots of prime cuts to be had in the top ten...Jughead Bob McKenzie now lumps prospects #3 to #12 as a free for all among scouts and all are good looking prospects.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The goal in drafting is not to take the best player today, but the best in 5 years from now. 

Zadina is 7 months older than Kotkaniemi.  How do you factor that in to your Comparison of their two seasons. 

Its something a scout has to do. 

I agree and thought about it but while I can see Kotkaniemi flourishing into a solid NHLer within 5 years, I don’t see any particular reason why Zadina would progress at any lesser of a rate in those 5 years. It’s possible, but all these things seem like wishful/crystal ball thinking, even on a scout’s part. 

50 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree and thought about it but while I can see Kotkaniemi flourishing into a solid NHLer within 5 years, I don’t see any particular reason why Zadina would progress at any lesser of a rate in those 5 years. It’s possible, but all these things seem like wishful/crystal ball thinking, even on a scout’s part. 

There are thousands of examples on how the more.productive player on draft day doesnt become the more productive player down the road.

We talked about this last week... but one only needs to look at bob mckenzies new draft rankings to see that its far from a concensus who the better player is.  The scouts he interviewed after tabulating votes have zadina at 4 and kotkaniemi at 5.  Some have zadina outside the top 5.  Tkachuk zadina kotkaniemi dobson bouchard and hughes all got votes for.being in the top 5.  There is no real concensus.here once you get past the top 2.  And not all scouts are convinced zadina is better.

And these are actual nhl scouts.  Not amateurs like me or the hockey news or mckeens or whoever.