Sylvain Lefebvre has been fired

It's almost difficult to be excited by this news since it's something that should have been done quite some time ago. While it's certainly welcome news, the incompetence that allowed him to be part of the Canadiens development system well past his sell by date is quite depressing.

• Upvote 3

So the next obvious question is who replaces him? 

It seems like MB has a great opportunity now to put in place an heir apparent for the head coach of the Canadiens.

If finding a very good bilingual head coach is such a challenge the smart thing to do would be to hire the best possible, most successful QMJHL coach and install him as our AHL coach, and let him bring in some great assistants also with future potential, and hopefully have people developing and waiting in the wings for whenever the next opportunity arrives for the big club.

You would think this should be an obvious direction to go?? 

• Upvote 1

Will Lacarriere fire Lacarriere?

Minor league firing, meh. Doubt any new coach will do much better unless given better players to work with.

Wake me up when the big club starts cleaning house!

Long overdue....a crap player who was a crap coach.  It's time to show the other crap player/also crap coach in our organization, JJ Daignault, the door as well.

Then perhaps we turn our eye to the crap player/crap GM in our midst....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, huzer said:

It's almost difficult to be excited by this news since it's something that should have been done quite some time ago. While it's certainly welcome news, the incompetence that allowed him to be part of the Canadiens development system well past his sell by date is quite depressing.

Indeed. Six years of failure before accountability kicks in? Ridiculous. And you have to wonder, if this season had not been a disaster- creating a need to see someone's head roll - would he even have been fired?

Anyway, that's one imbecile gone. One more to go ^_^

Here's hoping his replacement is not another Bergevin crony, but actually a quality coach.

It’s about time, but do we know he is actually no longer going to be with the organization??? Seems the habs don’t really fire people - MT was supposedly doing scouting after getting fired. Like that’s who I want scouting pro players?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Apologies to Machine of Loving Grace... in a just world your thread (made first) would have gotten all the replies.

He was quicker but you lasted longer. 

I also think this is good news but have no real level of excitement because it’s been discussed for so long. I’ll be interested in learning who will take over. 

19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s about time, but do we know he is actually no longer going to be with the organization??? Seems the habs don’t really fire people - MT was supposedly doing scouting after getting fired. Like that’s who I want scouting pro players?

Contracts for coaches are guaranteed, thats why these guys always get re-assigned to pro scouting positions after they are fired. 

This isn't just a Montreal thing.  It happens in nearly all organizations in the NHL. 

The only way out of the contract is if another org hires the person. 

I also heard that Therrien was a scout in name only.  He would go to games in Florida and Tampa, but simply cause the organization would let him go so he could be in the press box and talking with managers and scouts in other organizations to see if they would hire him.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

He was quicker but you lasted longer. 

I also think this is good news but have no real level of excitement because it’s been discussed for so long. I’ll be interested in learning who will take over. 

Ducharmes is a QMJHL and world junior coach, is one whose name has been mentioned and long term option to replace Julien, but I know little about him, just that might be a good fit.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Contracts for coaches are guaranteed, thats why these guys always get re-assigned to pro scouting positions after they are fired. 

This isn't just a Montreal thing.  It happens in nearly all organizations in the NHL. 

The only way out of the contract is if another org hires the person. 

I also heard that Therrien was a scout in name only.  He would go to games in Florida and Tampa, but simply cause the organization would let him go so he could be in the press box and talking with managers and scouts in other organizations to see if they would hire him.

Yes, he is likely highest paid scout around.:D

8 hours ago, REV-G said:

So the next obvious question is who replaces him? 

It seems like MB has a great opportunity now to put in place an heir apparent for the head coach of the Canadiens.

If finding a very good bilingual head coach is such a challenge the smart thing to do would be to hire the best possible, most successful QMJHL coach and install him as our AHL coach, and let him bring in some great assistants also with future potential, and hopefully have people developing and waiting in the wings for whenever the next opportunity arrives for the big club.

You would think this should be an obvious direction to go?? 

I have been saying for years that given the language constraints around the head coach that the Canadiens must do a better job of developing internal replacements 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What about bringing up a pair of coaches ?  Ducharme + Joel Bouchard ?  

Seeing how Ottawa use both Boucher and Crawford behind their bench, maybe the Rocket could try to train 2 potential head coaches at the same time under the same model.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

What about bringing up a pair of coaches ?  Ducharme + Joel Bouchard ?  

Seeing how Ottawa use both Boucher and Crawford behind their bench, maybe the Rocket could try to train 2 potential head coaches at the same time under the same model.

I see Bouchard as Assistant GM/Laval GM, and Ducharme as Head Coach.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

I see Bouchard as Assistant GM/Laval GM, and Ducharme as Head Coach.

Not bad at all IMO.

But I believe that the real deal in terms of french canadian hockey coach was snagged by the Lightning a couple years ago.  Benoit Groulx.

• Like 1