2018 NHL Draft Lottery

zumpano21

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I suppose the question is whether there is any prospect in that 3-7 range that projects as a top-liner or a top-pairing D-man. It doesn't *have* to be Zadina. But given that the Habs are presumably 'retooling,' not rebuilding, trading the pick to get back a young-ish player who fills one of our glaring needs could well make sense. It'll be interesting to see how MB plays it.

I don't know what the right play is but I don't think taking Zadina at #3 is the best for us. I would rather trade the pick for an established player or prospect, or even trade down to grab a center and another pick. 

6 minutes ago, illWill said:

I don't know what the right play is but I don't think taking Zadina at #3 is the best for us. I would rather trade the pick for an established player or prospect, or even trade down to grab a center and another pick. 

It just seems silly to me to have won the 3rd pick of the draft lottery and then trade it because we don’t need it.  We need elite prospects and this pick will get us one.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

It just seems silly to me to have won the 3rd pick of the draft lottery and then trade it because we don’t need it.  We need elite prospects and this pick will get us one.  

I dunno, is Galchenyuk 'elite?' :huh: 3rd overall pick.

It's hard to know because it would all depend on the return. But no one other yhan franchise players should be untouchable, and since nobody seems to think the #3 pick is a franchise player, trading the pick can't just be ruled out of court. We'd need to see more specific scenarios and proposals.

4 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

It's not that we don't need a top prospect, it's just that I feel that this particular one isn't going to be that much of an improvement on our already clogged wing log jam. Perhaps another team will covet him more than us and we can get a young center or left handed dman instead. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I dunno, is Galchenyuk 'elite?' :huh: 3rd overall pick.

It's hard to know because it would all depend on the return. But no one other yhan franchise players should be untouchable, and since nobody seems to think the #3 pick is a franchise player, trading the pick can't just be ruled out of court. We'd need to see more specific scenarios and proposals.

Galchenyuk was the best player taken in the top 3 that year. :)

4 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

I was going to comment on this but then read top 3 that year.....you almost had me ?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Just one of Zadina highlights youtube;

I actually like Zadina and think he will be a great NHL player.

He has a tournament coming up this Friday should be interesting to see what happens.

It's odd that the internet is full of the opinion that Zadina is nothing special so we may as well trade the pick away.

The other common idea is that we use the 3rd to pick wahlstrom

Common fear is that we pick tkachuk at 3rd

The only way we don't pick Zadina at 3rd is if Carolina (lucky SOBs) pick him first

10 hours ago, JGC21 said:

True. But while Galy is a good player, he's not really 'elite.' 

I bring it up to illustrate that even a well-chosen 3rd overall pick is not necessarily untouchable. But I have no strong opinion on this pick, other than to agree that, yes, trading Patches makes a lot more sense.

You don't teach goal scoring or that release, Zadina looks pretty good to me, Quick release. 

That highlight rral has him scoring more goals than the habs this year. 

Why on earth do you bring back pleks to help Zadina, how many 4th liners does one team need. They should not have signed him to the last contract

51 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It's odd that the internet is full of the opinion that Zadina is nothing special so we may as well trade the pick away.

The other common idea is that we use the 3rd to pick wahlstrom

Common fear is that we pick tkachuk at 3rd

The only way we don't pick Zadina at 3rd is if Carolina (lucky SOBs) pick him first

And Habs were lucky to be only other team to move up and not end up 5th/6th with couple fewer options to pick from and be in what many, like Bob McKenzie and Commandant call a 3rd tier of prospects in #4-7.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

And Habs were lucky to be only other team to move up and not end up 5th/6th with couple fewer options to pick from and be in what many, like Bob McKenzie and Commandant call a 3rd tier of prospects in #4-7.

Poor Canucks. The fanbase here has been pummelled so many times it regards dropping down in the draft as an inevitability :lol:

As much as I easily take Svechnikov over Zadina, I’m not disappointed in our chance to draft him. I’m a little surprised and disheartened by the lack of enthusiasm I’m moving UP into the 3rd spot, clearly gaining a little value, and the opportunity to draft a player who is almost unanimously thought of as pick #3.

The only way I trade the pick, is to include one of our seconds to move up in the draft and grab Scechnikov. Perhaps Carolina likes Zadina nearly as much as Svechnikov, and they do the second overall for the 3rd overall and maybe Chicago’s second rounder. I’m not sure what it would take.

that being said, I think Zadina can be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL by 2020. Won’t be disappointed if we just take him at 3.

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poor Canucks. The fanbase here has been pummelled so many times it regards dropping down in the draft as an inevitability :lol:

Well, looks their prospect pool is starting to help them turn the corner. Boeser is a beast, and i think they also have a few other special players that could join in the next 1-2 years.

On another note, i could see MB totally going for Tkachuk. Big body, power forward. Wonder though if his pedigree is upselling him at this stage. Watch Ottawa go with Zadina and burn us for the next 12 years.