2018 NHL Draft Lottery

zumpano21

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

First.  Dahlin is a generational player.  He is every bit the defence prospect that mcdavid was a forward prospect in 2015.  No team is trading him.  None.

Second the sabres last 4 drafts were reinhart, eichel, nylander, Mittelstadt.  They also.have oreilly who they are trying to move.  Forward is not their issue.  They have nothing on the blue line and need dahlin more than anything else right now.

Third.  This proposal is terrible. The value is not close.  Pacioretty (1 year) and a pair of second rounders is horrific value.

When it comes to BUF, let's focus on trying to prise ROR for a reasonable return...although I recognize it's a long shot.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes.

Hes a reach in the top 8.

I guess it comes down to drafting for position versus best available player.  Kotkaniemi is getting comparisons to Kopitar and Toews - which is very good company, and everyone and their mother knows the Habs need help at center.  Kotkaniemi is the top ranked center in this draft - I wonder if this will be a factor for Bergevin/Timmins?

Then again, Zadina does look NHL ready and I would love to see him on a line with Galchenyuk - that would be exciting!

12 hours ago, Metallica said:

How about this buffalo needs scoring help so we offer them

Pacioretty + there 2nd pick plus leafs 2nd pick

We get there 1st overall pick 

Sorry dude! If I'm Buffalo, there's no way I'd go for that deal!

With regards to Svechnikov vs Zadina, i guess it all depends on who Carolina thinks is the better fit for them.

Maybe if the Habs trade one of their second round picks with their 3rd overall pick to Carolina, they'd be willing to trade their 2nd overall pick?  That way the Habs could choose Svechnikov (who I believe is the better player).

I think it was commandant who compared Zadina to Hischier earlier? The more I think about it the more I think it’s a great comparison.

Two import Europeans who are about a month difference in age for their respective draft years. Both thought of as offensive dynamos who have existant but not great defensive games. Dynamic with the puck, able to both score and pass.

Put up mid-high 80’s in less than 60 games.

correct me if I’m wrong, but a difference might be that Hischier has the better speed/acceleration, while Zadina has a better shot. Hischier a better playmaker, Zadina a better scorer, but have about equally silky hands.

Someone posted a numbers comparison of the two... including pts/60, g/60, primary pts/60, zone exits, zone entries, corsi, xg, etc... and a number of other advanced stats. 

Zadina is slightly ahead of Hischier in almost every category.  Nothing mind blowing, but always just a slight bit ahead. 

I wouldn't compare their games as similar though.  Different styles, but yes equally effective. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Someone posted a numbers comparison of the two... including pts/60, g/60, primary pts/60, zone exits, zone entries, corsi, xg, etc... and a number of other advanced stats. 

Zadina is slightly ahead of Hischier in almost every category.  Nothing mind blowing, but always just a slight bit ahead. 

I wouldn't compare their games as similar though.  Different styles, but yes equally effective. 

Yea stylistically I thought they were different. Interesting though, Zadina could be good enough to put up 20 goals and 40-50 points next season.

59 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Yea stylistically I thought they were different. Interesting though, Zadina could be good enough to put up 20 goals and 40-50 points next season.

Galchenyuk put up pro-rated 15g 31a in rookie year.

Gallagher pro-rated 28g 24a as rookie.

So, 40-50pts should be reasonable expectation for top 3 pick (unless is a d-man of course), if he even plays more than 9games in HabLand.

This hurricanes situation is such a mess, i'm hoping they screw it up at #2. 

go for tkachuk cause the owner thinks that need a good american boy to sell to the fans. 

or go for Zadina cause they think he has chemistry with Necas cause of one junior tournament. 

I would keep Zadina but trade roster playes to teams who have sucked for a while and that would need almost-NHL-ready mid-6 players. For example:

Scherbak , Valiev, Rychel or McCarron for : Arizona's 1st (Hughes/Veleno)

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would keep Zadina but trade roster playes to teams who have sucked for a while and that would need almost-NHL-ready mid-6 players. For example:

Lots of teams would like to trade a decent prospect and busts for a potential elite prospect.  The last three players have minimal trade value and certainly wouldn't be in the discussion for a first rounder.

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It you’re proposing a 1 for 1, neither of those players would be even close to Arizona’s pick. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Lots of teams would like to trade a decent prospect and busts for a potential elite prospect.  The last three players have minimal trade value and certainly wouldn't be in the discussion for a first rounder.

Make ir Galchenyuk and a 3rd paid D (Lernout/Valiev) and a 2nd in 2018 and some depth throw ins

Or the same package with Patches instead. Getting 3rd overall and 5th overall would fix some of the CH holes but it would take a couple of years to develop those players 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Nashville traded their first for Ryan Hartman, a 23 year old former first rounder at 30th overall. 

That's probably the floor to get a pick in the first round. And Chicago might be selecting 28-31st with that. He at least had a 17 goal season. Closest the Habs have to that is Lehkonen and his value is lower than Hartman.

39 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Nashville traded their first for Ryan Hartman, a 23 year old former first rounder at 30th overall. 

That's probably the floor to get a pick in the first round. And Chicago might be selecting 28-31st with that. He at least had a 17 goal season. Closest the Habs have to that is Lehkonen and his value is lower than Hartman.

Yes, and Nashville being a playoff bound team looking for immediate help and willing to give up picks. 

Not it so much the case with a team like Arizona, who despite having some great young players will likely want to nab one of the talented defencemen if possible. It would take a lot.

When it comes down to deciding between Zadina and Svechnikov, I lean towards the latter for a few reasons.  He has a 2" size advantage which is very helpful when stepping up to the NHL.  His production was impressive considering he came back from an injury that cost him over 2 dozen games.  His offensive numbers are similar to Zadina's but it was earned in a junior league that is known to be better defensively, so one can make the argument he really  earned his points. Although Zadina is a good skater, Svechnikov is at an elite skating level.  Both players are somewhat lacking defensively, but so was Ovechkin as a junior age player. 

I am hoping Carolina chooses Zadina for whatever reason they like [anti-Russian bias, connection to prospect Martin Necas] to leave Svechnikov available at #3 for the Habs.  If that doesn't happen and the Habs decide to choose Zadina I will be ok with that selection, but I suspect he is less NHL ready than Svechnikov is at this time.  

Récent gazette article refers to trading the 3rd overall as a package to get immediate, professional centre. I like that idea as third overall is  underwhelming imo. 

Dahlin and svechnikov are thé only two this year. 

Problem is where does this centreman come from? Not many available without trading a golden goose (price)

Id unload anyone beside price, Weber and Gallagher along with the 3 rd overall for a #1 c. And I’d consider Weber for right price as well.

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

This hurricanes situation is such a mess, i'm hoping they screw it up at #2. 

go for tkachuk cause the owner thinks that need a good american boy to sell to the fans. 

or go for Zadina cause they think he has chemistry with Necas cause of one junior tournament. 

I think this is another reason for keeping the #3 pick. Carolina is a big X-factor, and it is conceivable that we could end up drafting the consensus #2 pick due to the interference of idiot ownership.

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think this is another reason for keeping the #3 pick. Carolina is a big X-factor, and it is conceivable that we could end up drafting the consensus #2 pick due to the interference of idiot ownership.

I wonder if it is possible to have a trade in place contingent on whether or not Carolina picks Svechnikov. Because yes it is possible they go a different direction with their pick, and we did get lucky the year Galchenyuk fell to us at 3. 

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Récent gazette article refers to trading the 3rd overall as a package to get immediate, professional centre. I like that idea as third overall is  underwhelming imo. 

Dahlin and svechnikov are thé only two this year. 

Problem is where does this centreman come from? Not many available without trading a golden goose (price)

Id unload anyone beside price, Weber and Gallagher along with the 3 rd overall for a #1 c. And I’d consider Weber for right price as well.

It’s not true that the top 2 are the only 2 in this draft. If that were the case, teams should also trade away their 4th, 5th, 6th picks, etc. Zadina could, and probably will end up a pretty darn good player. His release is a threat at all times. 

from what i read, he also plays between the dots and goes to the net. Something only the smallest 3 habs players do (Shaw, Byron, Gallagher) 

Take Zadina, move on. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Make ir Galchenyuk and a 3rd paid D (Lernout/Valiev) and a 2nd in 2018 and some depth throw ins

Or the same package with Patches instead. Getting 3rd overall and 5th overall would fix some of the CH holes but it would take a couple of years to develop those players 

Does it make sense for Arizona to trade the #5 pick in a move where the centrepiece is either a year or two away from UFA eligibility?  If they were a player or two away from true contention, it could be defensible but they're not even close to that.  If they move that pick, it's for someone who's 20-23 that is starting to establish themselves and are going to be around for a long time.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Does it make sense for Arizona to trade the #5 pick in a move where the centrepiece is either a year or two away from UFA eligibility?  If they were a player or two away from true contention, it could be defensible but they're not even close to that.  If they move that pick, it's for someone who's 20-23 that is starting to establish themselves and are going to be around for a long time.

It would make sense if the Coyotes are fed up of tanking just to fall down at the lottery draft :

<< This was the Coyotes’ sixth straight season in the lottery. They have selected, in chronological order, 12th, 12th, third, seventh, seventh (traded) and fifth the past six seasons. >>

http://arizonasports.com/story/1514001/arizona-coyotes-land-5-pick-nhl-draft-lottery/

I would give them some players that are currently in the NHL and that have some upside potential and a 3rd overall in exchange for their best pick of the last few drafts and a young center:

Galcheynuk & Scherbak & 3rd overall for : D.Strome &and their 5th overall (for Kotkaniemi or Hughes or Veleno)

I think it would be good for them in the short term and good for us:

Patches  - D.Strome - Gally  

Hudon -Drouin  - Lenkohnen

Carr - Danault -Carr (Byron/Shaw are hurt, but they would fit here)

Deslauriers - DLR - Rychel

<<1LD-UFA>> - Weber   

Mete - Petry

Alzner - Juulsen

1LD UFA: De Haan (NYI), I.Cole (CBJ), Hickey (NYI),

If we get Tavares, and when we get healthy:

Patches  - Tavares - Gally  

Drouin -D.Strome  -Hudon

Lenkohnen - Danault - Shaw

Deslauriers - DLR - Byron

Hudon/Carr

That's a very good lineup

And in the pipeline:

Kotkaniemi /Hughes/Veleno, Poehling, Brooks, Ikonen, Walford, Feury?, Evans, Lernout, ... that is an improved development list