Max Pacioretty Watch

10 hours ago, DON said:

But, if Pacioretty is sitting around 30 goals at end of Feb, he would still fetch a huge haul.

If Pacioretty bounces back to his level, I would rather resign him for 6Mx8y or 8Mx6y 

He would be a good LW to our center prospects 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If Pacioretty bounces back to his level, I would rather resign him for 6Mx8y or 8Mx6y 

He would be a good LW to our center prospects 

Since I really believe he'll be a 20-goal scorer within 2-3 years, I wouldn't do these deals. Granted, the cap may well rise, but in the unlikely event that the rebuild is properly handled and is successful, we might need that money to lock up young stars. I just don't see why a team that is years away from contending would sink major dollars into a long-term deal for a 30-year-old goal scorer.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Since I really believe he'll be a 20-goal scorer within 2-3 years, I wouldn't do these deals. Granted, the cap may well rise, but in the unlikely event that the rebuild is properly handled and successful, we might need that money to lock up young stars. I just don't see why a team that is years away from contending would sink major dollars into a long-term deal for a 30-year-old goal scorer.

To me it's like signing a Steve Shutt to a last contract.

He would be an expensive 20-25 goal scorer but I prefer to give Patches that contract than to a Vanek, Radulov, Lucic or someone else's has-been

He would be a good mentor  and "good in the room"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He would be an expensive 20-25 goal scorer but I prefer to give Patches that contract than to a Vanek, Radulov, Lucic or someone else's has-been

Is he good in the room? Doesn't feel like it. 

Again I would prefer to bring in someone who has no connection to this broken locker room to be a guide for players than someone who has been captain during one of the worst eras of the club. I would rather bring in a Doug Gilmour than keep Patrice Brisebois around overpaid for his worth.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

How is Radulov as has been? He's a better all around player than Pacioretty. 

8 million dollars for a 20 goal scorer( I don't think he'll drop off like that) is insane. How can you be ok with that. 

You know what a good locker room guy is? One who performs on the ice.

• Upvote 1

I’m not entirely sure what the topic is right now but I will guarantee that Pacioretty will not be a 20 goal scorer in 2-3 years. He may have a 20 goal season in 2-3 years but he’ll then have 3 or 4 more ~ 30 goal seasons after that. 

One can compare him to Rick Nash, who seems to have fallen off a cliff at around this “feared best before date” in relation to Pacioretty. One can also compare him to Ovechkin who while being a more elite goal scorer than Pacioretty, was also called over the hill, but then had an even more outstanding season than expected a few years into his 30s.

Either way, Pacioretty is his own person so no one can know which comparison, if any, are accurate. However, from anything that I’ve seen of him over his career, he has generally been a model of consistency statistically over an entire season, and has also always healed even quicker than your average player when it has come to some relatively serious injuries. When looked at from a neutral standpoint, I don’t see why there would be any more pessimism than optimism when it comes to attempting to predict what the future holds for Pacioretty. I don’t think he’s lost that much of a step, and even if he has, he will always remain a dangerous shooter in the offensive zone. 

Regardless, while I would personally like to see him resign long term with the Habs, I don’t see why this discussion is even on the table considering all signs point to him being traded by the deadline. If the Habs have a good season, only then will I be unsure of what would happen with Pacioretty, but based on Bergevin’s comments, I would assume he’ll be gone even in that scenario. 

I would be calling L.A back up and trying to get Vilardi. He's going to be a stud.  

If it was a 6x6 contract L.A was looking for, I would be negotiating with Pacioretty to take a 7x6 deal, with Montreal retaing a million of his salary the next six years. 

I know that sounds stupid, but I mean this team isn't going to be contending in the next 3 years.... half of Pacioretty's term is being ate up in the down years 

If Vilardi is off the table, than I wouldn't be willing to retain salary. If that's even possible with a sign and trade. 

I don’t think the appropriate attitude is to suggest that we won’t be good for x amount of years. Teams are supposed to be able to turn things around rather quickly in the modern NHL. But if we keep doing things because we’re not going to be good anyway, that’s exactly what we’ll be. Not good anyway. 

My fear with Pacioretty as I defended him for months was always that we wouldn’t get a solid return for him and people would be happy anyway. Now that everyone has caught up to that sentiment due to the team having made it abundantly clear that they want to (apparently) move him, I’m just hoping we actually can get something of substance in return. 

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Hoffman goes for a below-value return and now Skinner does.  I get the logic that there being no other options could help the Habs but those two going for as little as they did can't help things. 

The return for Skinner has me thinking similar thoughts.  I never expected a great return for Max, but now it feels likely that it will be even less than I was anticipating.

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Hoffman goes for a below-value return and now Skinner does.  I get the logic that there being no other options could help the Habs but those two going for as little as they did can't help things. 

Hoffman has girlfriend problems which is why he went for less.

Skinner has a history of concussion symptoms, which is why he may have gone for less.

Pacioretty is healthy and only has had one down year but the team as a whole was bad so that wasn't all on him.

4 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I’d be willing to add to make this panarin deal happen

The add would be significant, cause Max for AP isn't close. 

I’m sure it would, but how significant if wingers like skinner are going for a B prospects and some not first round picks?

Pacioretty has to take a huge chunk out of Panarins return, what else would we need to add

57 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Hoffman has girlfriend problems which is why he went for less.

Skinner has a history of concussion symptoms, which is why he may have gone for less.

Pacioretty is healthy and only has had one down year but the team as a whole was bad so that wasn't all on him.

It should be also noted that Skinner had a NMC and provided a pretty small list for Carolina to work with.  I think that played a role as I know there has been talk that Skinner invoked the clause at least once this summer already.

Even with those qualifiers though, it's still hard to think that Pacioretty is going to land a high-quality prospect and a first-rounder when wingers that have put up somewhat close numbers went for way less.  Yes, Pacioretty is better and should get more but considering the season he had, I don't see other teams lining up to pay that when they had a shot to pay a lot less for a similar player.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

However, Gallagher played on same team and did quite well, with 3 minutes less icetime /game and he was 7th of the forwards in minutes/game, 1 second ahead of Byron in 8th (with 50g between the two).

Offer Max the money he wants but not the term. Think he accepts 3 years at 7,5M?

No reason trading him for same return as Skinner got...

Id rather keep him and let him outplay his contract if thats what has to happen.

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Offer Max the money he wants but not the term. Think he accepts 3 years at 7,5M?

Id rather keep him and let him outplay his contract if thats what has to happen.

You don't trade him now, you trade him later. Also Skinner had choice of where he could be traded to. Pacioretty doesn't unless he negotiates an extension.

And current reports is that the relationship is strained and Pacioretty will either be traded or leave as a free agent. So either trade or lose for nothing.

6 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Pacioretty isn't taking a 3 year deal. This will be his last big pay day 

13 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I'd love to know if they've kicked the tires with Columbus to see if Panarin is interested in signing with Montreal and Patches with Columbus. Could be a win-win for two bad situations.

I think Max and Torts is like oil and water :(

Image result for max pacioretty and john tortorella