Habs sign Matthew Peca

dlbalr

Peca actually cracked our Top 50 list on PHR (right at #50).  He played quite well in a limited stint with Tampa last year and it's clear the Habs think there's still some upside.  I'm not sure where he fits but I don't mind this deal.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Peca actually cracked our Top 50 list on PHR (right at #50).  He played quite well in a limited stint with Tampa last year and it's clear the Habs think there's still some upside.  I'm not sure where he fits but I don't mind this deal.

We have one of the few rosters where a borderline player like Peca will get a solid look.

Costs us very little.

Peca has decent upside.  I'm curious to see how he does in a full NHL season.  Doubt he's a top 6 guy, but should be solid depth.  I don't think he's any relation to Michael Peca (usually eliteprospects.com lists bloodlines and they don't with him).  

I wrote about peca two years ago. 

"Matthew Peca finished his senior season with Quinnipac recording seven goals and 36 points in 39 games. The talented, but undersized centre hovered close to a point per game throughout his college career. Upon finishing his final AHL season, Peca signed with Tampa and was assigned to the Syracuse Crunch, where he put up four points in eight regular season games, and two points in three playoff games.

Peca is an extremely good skater, with very good speed, quick acceleration and the ability to change gears that fools opponents off the rush. He’s well balanced on his skates and is not afraid to battle in corners or in front of the net despite his size. He will however need to add some more muscle to be more effective in playing that type of game at the pro level.

Peca is more of a playmaker than a scorer. He has strong puck handling skills and shows poise with it on his stick. He has good vision and passing skills helping him to rack up assists at the NCAA level. He can create plays off the rush with his speed, or in the cycle game as he does good work down low as well. Peca’s shot is accurate and features a quick release, but he could stand to add a bit more muscle and power.

Peca has a well refined two-way game. Throughout his college career, he was an important two way player for the Bobcats, who played against other team’s top lines and was featured on the team’s penalty kill. While he can sometimes be overpowered by bigger and stronger opponents, Peca is relentless on the backcheck and never stops battling.

The Lightning will likely have Peca spend the season with their AHL team. They have had a lot of success in recent years with undersized forwards who a number of teams have passed over. They will look to develop Peca into the next one of their success stories over the next couple of years in the AHL."

As an update, he's continued with the strong skating and being more of a playmaker than a scorer at the AHL level. He is listed at 5'8 or 5'9 depending where you go, so he's a bit undersized. 

6 hours ago, Link67 said:

Looks like the last one was against the Habs.

They even have the jerseys.