Sept. 19, Panthers vs Habs, 7:30 PM

JoeLassister

Really, really, really, really, really stupid from Domi.  After trying to goad Ekblad into a fight, he winds up sucker punching him.  I won't be surprised if there's a disciplinary hearing from the league on this.  There goes the PP.

Edit: Domi gets a match penalty which is an automatic suspension pending league review.

52 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

And now Byron gets in a fight as he works his way back from a shoulder injury.  Also really stupid...

Do you enjoy fighting in the game, Brian? I can’t tell.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Really, really, really, really, really stupid from Domi.  After trying to goad Ekblad into a fight, he winds up sucker punching him.  I won't be surprised if there's a disciplinary hearing from the league on this.  There goes the PP.

Edit: Domi gets a match penalty which is an automatic suspension pending league review.

The Apple didn’t fall to far from the tree.

40 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I would need to see if ekblad was running around as someone said,  but that punch looked awfully classless to me . 

He was slashing / cross checking and bumping Price all game. Like I said I don’t condone sucker punching because honestly it’s pretty cowardly but so is running around and acting tough and not answering the bell when challenged.

I'm bias as hell, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal. I suspect he'll get the rest of pre-season and like 2-3 regular season games to 'send a message'. Like someone said above, if Ek was running around slashing, bumping the goalie, then the whole "but its preseason" argument, doesn't hold water as to why Domi wanted to fight.

23 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

He was slashing / cross checking and bumping Price all game. Like I said I don’t condone sucker punching because honestly it’s pretty cowardly but so is running around and acting tough and not answering the bell when challenged.

Fighting is illegal. Nobody has to answer the bell. Beat them on the scoreboard. 

Just watched on PVR.

I liked Reilly's game, since I am rooting for him. And Byron is just amazing, I'll eat my words in wanting to trade him, he contributes in so many ways

Peca has earned my respect, I do not know how good he will be but so far the pre-season he has shown a lot of good things.

McCarron has improved his skating, but is still too slow. I am really disappointed in Scherbak. 

===

I am ok with Domi going overboard, this preseason (like Shaw did). But I am fine with one of our guy pummeling someone in the other team instead of always being on the receiving end: that was a welcome change.

+++ another game without the stretcher out :)

Seen alot worse things in the nhl than what Domi did here. Ekblad a bit stupid looking like he doesnt even try to protect himself at all.

Maybe a bit to far throwing the glove and punching but I hope more of our players will stand up to oponents playing dirty.

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Fighting is illegal. Nobody has to answer the bell. Beat them on the scoreboard. 

Ok but let’s not act like Domi is the only one at fault here. Ekblad was acting like a clown out there and Domi was having enough of it, I was glad he stood up to him, even funnier seeing him try to tuck his tail between his legs after getting challenged. I liked seeing all the guys standing up for one another, like others have said it was a refreshing site and hopefully gets the chemistry in the room started off right for the year.

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He was throwing slashes. He always does. Doesn't matter. Beat him on the scoreboard.

F### that! If your gonna continuously slash me and hit me on the wrist. Your getting a punch to your pretty boy face whether you want to “answer the bell” or not! Beating you on the scoreboard would be icing on that blood stained cake! 

Not saying that Ekblad did actually that cause I didn’t really notice. 

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Beat them in the scoreboard??? That’s not the #attitude Bergevin is looking for.   You only have to look at his acquisitions of Ott, Shaw, Alzner, Martinsen, Davidson, Deslauriers in favour of more skilled players to figure out the attitude he wants.

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I hope Domi doesn't get suspended for too many games. We need him on the ice for opposing teams to score.

Grab a guy, guy doesn't fight back, still crack him. Domi is human garbage like his papi. 

Seriously?  So you just used your keyboard to 'sucker punch' a young hockey player?

I wouldn't even call what Domi did  a sucker punch.  He was looking Ekblad right in the ey (or at least the chin)  Ekblad, the much bigger player, could have defended himself.  

So we have a young hockey player, who is willing to play tough and we call him human garbage?  Wow!  Welcome to Montreal, where we throw Habs players under the bus!!!

Terrible. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Ok but let’s not act like Domi is the only one at fault here. Ekblad was acting like a clown out there and Domi was having enough of it, I was glad he stood up to him, even funnier seeing him try to tuck his tail between his legs after getting challenged. I liked seeing all the guys standing up for one another, like others have said it was a refreshing site and hopefully gets the chemistry in the room started off right for the year.

The only thing this does is makes sure Domi isn't playing first line centre on opening night. Unless he gets a soft slap on the wrist and just misses exhibition games. 

You're talking like Leaf fans after David Clarkson jumped the boards. It's an exhibition game. It led to Huberdeau being a big idiot as well and fighting Byron. That's what happens. It doesn't stop anything. It just means the other team will try to escalate, which they did. 

But oh well. Habs fans have had Bruins envy for so long it's no surprise they get a Domi and suddenly feel tougher and like that will help in 2018. We have truly returned to the Trevor Linden era of the Habs.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Do you enjoy fighting in the game, Brian? I can’t tell.

If someone has to stand up to defend a teammate, that's fine (and although some might classify Byron's scrap as that, I wouldn't).  The pre-arranged stuff (like Deslauriers' fight against New Jersey) can go away and not come back.  Imagine if Byron reaggravated his shoulder injury, would anyone have been happy about him dropping the gloves?  Players need to be smart and through two preseason games, we've seen a few stupid decisions from the Habs already.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The only thing this does is makes sure Domi isn't playing first line centre on opening night. Unless he gets a soft slap on the wrist and just misses exhibition games. 

You're talking like Leaf fans after David Clarkson jumped the boards. It's an exhibition game. It led to Huberdeau being a big idiot as well and fighting Byron. That's what happens. It doesn't stop anything. It just means the other team will try to escalate, which they did. 

But oh well. Habs fans have had Bruins envy for so long it's no surprise they get a Domi and suddenly feel tougher and like that will help in 2018. We have truly returned to the Trevor Linden era of the Habs.

From what I have heard it’s going to be a phone call disciplinary hearing which usually means it won’t be that severe. I doubt he will miss any regular season games.

I’m actually not, players need to stand up for themselves not taking liberties all over the place. Ekblad was acting like an idiot and got gut checked and didn’t want any of it, if you don’t want none don’t start none.

I have no Bruins envy pal but I enjoy watching teammates stick up for one another and refusing to get pushed around. For so long have the Habs had to put up with teams taking liberties without any fear of reprisal.