Sept. 24, Habs vs Maple Leafs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

The Habs will look to stay in the win column as they travel to Toronto to take on the Maple Leafs in a battle of fringe players.

Montreal.jpg

Chaput - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Hudon - Peca - Lehkonen
de la Rose - Suzuki - Scherbak
Shinkaruk - Froese - Agostino

Alzner - Despres
Ouellet - Lernout
Valiev - Moravcik

Niemi (full game)

Lindgren

Toronto.jpg

Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen

Grundstrom - Brooks - Bracco

Greening - Jooris - Engvall

Timashov - Cracknell - T.Moore

Borgman - Holl

Marincin - Carrick

Sandin - Subban

McElhinney

Sparks

Puck drop is at 7:30 PM EST on RDS, TSN2, and TSN4.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Looking at the lineup, its definitely set up as a competition for jobs (I'd say the same about the leafs lineup). 

Both teams are barely making the 8 veteran minimum rule, and even the veterans aren't guys who are guaranteed jobs. 

These lineups almost look like Marlies vs Rocket

I, like John Lu, am disappointed they didn't go full Finland with Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia.

I haven't seen a lick of Chaput but this is a big shot for him to be the first callup. Shinkaruk... man this is your last shot. You haven't done a thing to get off that fourth line. Better do something big tonight or you'll be for sure in Europe next season.

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I, like John Lu, am disappointed they didn't go full Finland with Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia.

I haven't seen a lick of Chaput but this is a big shot for him to be the first callup. Shinkaruk... man this is your last shot. You haven't done a thing to get off that fourth line. Better do something big tonight or you'll be for sure in Europe next season.

I like that he has two big guys besides Kotka, so that the Make-beliefs do not take a run at him.

It will be nice to see if Kotkaniemy can still perform at a high-level with these two guys 

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like that he has two big guys besides Kotka, so that the Make-beliefs do not take a run at him.

It will be nice to see if Kotkaniemy can still perform at a high-level with these two guys 

Armia was Kotkaniemi's idol growing up so I think he's gonna try hard to get Armia on the scoresheet.

(Which is still not the weirdest "player grew up idolizing a non-superstar" in Habs history. That goes to Pacioretty, who idolized Jed Ortmeyer. Yup. Jed Ortmeyer.)

Wait, the Leafs signed Jordan Subban!?

I totally missed that.

He's been absolutely terrible but hey good luck to him. He was drafted right before Habs picked in the fourth round and took Martin Reway. Probably for the best he never played here.

Last we see of Shinkaruk, Despres?

Would be nice to see Benn, McCarron, Schlemko, Froese all waived.

Interested to see how the 2nd pairing plays together.

Reilly and Oulette have both played better than both Schlemko and Benn haven't they?

6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

At the game tonight and deprees is 100% the slowest guy out there... not sure he can even make Laval ...

Wave to us! 

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not a bad period overall although there were some shaky moments defensively and Niemi's rebound control had his typical scary moments.  Kotkaniemi and Suzuki have both played quite well.

This is a way different looking camp than last year.  Some solid young players. 

Alzner is the exact opposite of what this team needs. He's painfully slow

A nice win overall.  There weren't many NHL players in there but a win's a win.  It'll be interesting to see how many players get cut - do they try to drop close to their starting roster of 26 (23 + Weber/Shaw/Deslauriers) or have it in the high 20's/low 30's and continue the battle for the final few spots a little while longer?