Sept. 24, Habs vs Maple Leafs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

36 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Best forward on the team? That's a stretch 

Not really.  There are no elite forwards on this team.  Lehkonen has speed, hands,  defensive awareness and a good release. Drouin probably has a higher ceiling,  but that's it for this year's version I reckon.

33 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Not really.  There are no elite forwards on this team.  Lehkonen has speed, hands,  defensive awareness and a good release. Drouin probably has a higher ceiling,  but that's it for this year's version I reckon.

Lehkonen is maybe a 20g 20a guy. If that's the best we have on this team, we're in trouble 

50 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I honestly think Hudon will put up better numbers than  Lehkonen this year 

Defensively, I would give him that title though. 

I think Hudon is in line for a big break out. Would not be surprised to see 25 goals 30 assists from him. 

That being said, I feel like Lehkonen is too. These guys have a huge opportunity on this roster. I feel like we could actually surprise and compete for a wildcard spot if our young guns take a step forward

8 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I think Hudon is in line for a big break out. Would not be surprised to see 25 goals 30 assists from him. 

That being said, I feel like Lehkonen is too. These guys have a huge opportunity on this roster. I feel like we could actually surprise and compete for a wildcard spot if our young guns take a step forward

I am reserving some quiet optimism along the same lines.  

39 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Hudon 14g 25a

Lehkonen 19g 25a

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Lehkonen is maybe a 20g 20a guy. If that's the best we have on this team, we're in trouble 

I said he had the skill to be, not that he is. 

I would agree that Drouin has the highest ceiling out of anyone offensively. But I love Lehkonen's drive, and I put a lot of stock into how he played against the Rangers in 2017. He would take shots, go after his own rebound, get in tight and pay the price, all while retaining skill and offensive awareness. If he can grow into that, he could become one of our best wingers. Or we mess with him and he plays elsewhere. He also stays out of the box which is an important and overlooked trait in today's game. 

Hudon is low key good too and I honestly think they should put him at centre. Once we get better centres he can still play wing but I like his game down the middle. I certainly prefer him at centre over Domi or Drouin.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Hudon 14g 25a

Lehkonen 19g 25a

Hudon scores 10 last year with an abysmal 5.6 shooting percentage. If that doubled to 11.2 (still not that high) were already looking at a 20 goal scorer. That’s not even taking into account that he could have a slightly bigger role this year, and put 200+ shots on net.

Obviously your predictions are still a realistic possibility, but they’d be the result of some silly bad shooting luck. I expect 20+ goals from both of them

I’m not that high on Lehkonen but do like that the team has a few Finns as it makes him stand out more. I can see how Lehkonen would be an effective player on team Finland. When I look at it that way, we might have something here with him.

I think when all is said and done, Lehkonen will be our 3rd-5th best forward. 

20 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Armia was Kotkaniemi's idol growing up so I think he's gonna try hard to get Armia on the scoresheet.

(Which is still not the weirdest "player grew up idolizing a non-superstar" in Habs history. That goes to Pacioretty, who idolized Jed Ortmeyer. Yup. Jed Ortmeyer.)

(First post this season after just lurking for a while ...)

It's actually not all that weird -- they both grew up in Pori, a small town (maybe 80K people) on the west coast of Finland, and both played in the Assat organization. Armia is seven years older, was a top young forward and got drafted. That's enough for a young player to look up to him.

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

(First post this season after just lurking for a while ...)

It's actually not all that weird -- they both grew up in Pori, a small town (maybe 80K people) on the west coast of Finland, and both played in the Assat organization. Armia is seven years older, was a top young forward and got drafted. That's enough for a young player to look up to him.

Kotka's dad has always been involved in coaching too... either as an assistant or with a junior team or now as head coach of the main team.  

As a result, Jesperi got a lot of access to the rink (and then he was in the development program), so he literally would have seen Armia and been around him at the rink as he progressed through the ranks. In some ways its like looking up to a big brother. 

• Upvote 1