Defence help

REV-G

Since Schlemko is injured again and Eric Engel's just wrote that we don't have the depth to fill his spot, my question is are any of the few remaining UFA's a better option than who we currently have in our 5-7 options on defence?

From what I can tell there are 3 players not signed to NHL contracts yet. Kevin Bieksa, Paul Martin and Tobias Enstrom [he is playing overseas but might have an NHL out].

Are we better to just go with what we have or would one of these 3 be a better fit since we have lots of cap space? 

What do you think? 

I don't want any of the UFAs. 

Maybe someone off waivers, but I doubt it. 

i'm fine running with 

Reilly (or Mete) - Petry
Mete (or Reilly) - Juulsen
Alzner - Ouellet 

Benn

We have Valiev who could be called up if any more injuries hit too. 

Lernout too

the two Czechs looked good in preseason

Schlemko is only out 6 weeks (which is 5 weeks of the season).

I'm not concerned about depth, we have tons of 5th, 6th, 7th defensemen.  We don't have enough top 4 defencemen and you aren't getting that in UFA or Waivers in September/October.

• Upvote 1

When an injury to David Schlemko is considered a significant blow to your defensive unit, you are in a truly sad state.

Just plug in one of the warm bodies Commandant lists and forget about it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Schlemko was one of the worst defensemen on this team last year. 

I don't know how many times last season I watched him pinch when he was last man back. 

Dude is damaged goods. It looked like a quality trade at the time but it seems like SJ knew something we didn't. 

23 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Dude is damaged goods. It looked like a quality trade at the time but it seems like SJ knew something we didn't. 

Normally, MB does well with these kinds of bottom-end, under-the-radar moves. It's basically the only thing he's been good at. Unfortunately, it failed in this case and the failure was important, since our devastated D could desperately have used a savvy acquisition capable of logging quality minutes. Sigh.

Bergevin single handedly ruined this Defense. 

I think the team will look better offensively this season, but the defense won't be able to move the puck out of their own end. 

Sergachev- Subban 

Markov- Juulsen

Mete- ? 

One of the better D- corps in the league, if nothing was touched on this team 

7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Bergevin single handedly ruined this Defense. 

I think the team will look better offensively this season, but the defense won't be able to move the puck out of their own end. 

Sergachev- Subban 

Markov- Juulsen

Mete- ? 

One of the better D- corps in the league, if nothing was touched on this team 

The guy is a cataclysmic flop. But y'know, let's leave him in charge of a 'rebuild' that will determine our future for the next decade :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The guy is a cataclysmic flop. But y'know, let's leave him in charge of a 'rebuild' that will determine our future for the next decade :rolleyes:

I'm trying to stay positive, but i just don't see it. 

I don't put any of this on Price, but i think he's going to have another tough season, the way this team is set up

7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I'm trying to stay positive, but i just don't see it. 

I don't put any of this on Price, but i think he's going to have another tough season, the way this team is set up

I had a dream about a month ago we traded him to the Penguins so in my mind he's already gone.

16 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I don't remember that. I just remember Tim and Sid screaming about how Montreal just handed Sidney Crosby his next Stanley Cup and how the NHL needs a lockout for allowing it to happen.

well that doesn't seem as bad as the nightmare that St. Pat trade. Seems to me Sidney stayed in (the) Pits but did we get Malkin? Probably a 1 vs 1 as that is MB thing right? 

2 hours ago, ehjay said:

well that doesn't seem as bad as the nightmare that St. Pat trade. Seems to me Sidney stayed in (the) Pits but did we get Malkin? Probably a 1 vs 1 as that is MB thing right? 

Seeing it came from my brain, we likely got Murray, Brassard, Hagelin, and a 1st.