2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, DON said:

Galchenyuk just 17% on FO yesterday. Uggg, but 6pts in 8gms is pretty good start.

41.6% for the season, about the same as Domi and Kotkaniemi. Galchenyuk has much more experience at C so should theoretically be able to do better on face-offs. But he was in the mid-40s for us, too.

Galy appears, from a distance at least, to be for Arizona exactly what he was for us - an offensively productive C with faceoff 'issues.' The difference is that Arizona is less motivated to irrationally ignore his strengths and obsess over his limitations (at least so far). I don't know how his play has been away from the puck, however.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Galy appears, from a distance at least, to be for Arizona exactly what he was for us - an offensively productive C with faceoff 'issues.' The difference is that Arizona is less motivated to irrationally ignore his strengths and obsess over his limitations (at least so far). I don't know how his play has been away from the puck, however.

Chucky in Arizona will never take over a game. Despite stats, intensity and drive were never part of Chucky's toolset.

I don't care much about what Arizona wants in a player, all I care about is for the CH to become a cup-contending team. The reason I felt compelled to reply is because I do not believe Chucky's talents were irrationally ignored: I think he never lived up to the expectation out of a third pick overall

Edited by alfredoh2009
changed answer for reply

I have no issues with the faceoffs which i see as overrated.

However play in the defensive end... domi is much, much better.

As long as they are close in production (and right now domi is ahead even on a per game basis)... and domi is the more valuable player.

Hey all.  I haven't been here in a while but I'm getting tired of HF and this community is smaller and far more reasonable and polite so expect to hear from me far more from now on.

On another note, I just completed a new Habs tribute video.  I would have placed this in a multimedia thread but I couldn't find one.

Video Description: Part One is a introduction to some sad dark days with the ending of the 2017 season at the hands of the Rangers. I could have utilized footage from 2018 but it seemed more fitting to recall a playoff exit and not random games from last season.

Part Two is the Habs coming back to life and the restoration of hope. It underscores only the new players coming in this season.

Part Three is random goals and footage featuring some of the current players.

Part Four is team business, the team goofing around and media events prepping for the future with behind the scenes from the home opener.

Part Five is a tip of the hat to the storied franchise of 24 championships and legends. There was going to be a part 5 with this years lineup with the Montreal Public Address Announcer introducing the players but the introductions were inaudible. I tried and tried and surrendered. Due to time constraints and lack of footage and condensing material, not all players &/or moments are recognized so please keep the criticisms low. If your favourite player is not featured - TOO BAD! This took me days to produce and there's always some rotten person criticizing minute details even when the production of a whole is awesome. Well, I think it is even if I am blowing my own horn.

Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:08 PM, Athlétique.Canadien said:

Hey all.  I haven't been here in a while but I'm getting tired of HF and this community is smaller and far more reasonable and polite so expect to hear from me far more from now on.

On another note, I just completed a new Habs tribute video.  I would have placed this in a multimedia thread but I couldn't find one.

Welcome back.  We used to have a multimedia thread ages ago but it was used so sporadically that it was basically left for dead. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, dlbalr said:

Just when you thought things couldn't get more embarrassing in Ottawa,  several players were caught on video badmouthing a coach while Matt Duchene boasted that he doesn't pay attention in team meetings.  What's next?  https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/candid-camera-ottawa-senators-players-caught-on-video-joking-about-team-badmouthing-coach

What's next appears to be a troll campaign on Twitter that is designed to criticize Ottawa's media coverage for their handling of the Uber fiasco while praising Eugene Melnyk (who had nothing to do with that particular incident).  https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/how-a-collection-of-apparently-fake-twitter-accounts-launched-a-troll-campaign-to-support-the-ottawa-senators

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

What's next appears to be a troll campaign on Twitter that is designed to criticize Ottawa's media coverage for their handling of the Uber fiasco while praising Eugene Melnyk (who had nothing to do with that particular incident).  https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/how-a-collection-of-apparently-fake-twitter-accounts-launched-a-troll-campaign-to-support-the-ottawa-senators

The Sens are the gift that keeps on giving.

51 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Why would they hire Hitchcock 

What's wrong with Hitchcock?

Personally, I always liked Marc Crawford, but I guess the Senators stench is just too strong to wash off him at this point

53 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Why would they hire Hitchcock 

They're looking for short-term results as if they don't make the playoffs, Chiarelli is heading out the door.  Hitchcock will give them some stability and a different style of play and if it still doesn't work, then whoever takes over as GM will get to pick a new coach and probably blow up the roster somewhat.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Personally, I always liked Marc Crawford, but I guess the Senators stench is just too strong to wash off him at this point

It's rare that an assistant coach would leave to take an opportunity midseason.  Teams usually don't give permission to interview in those situations.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What's wrong with Hitchcock?

Hitchcock is not the coach i would want if im building my team around connor mcdavid

Well, the Oil can't win with run and gun. Maybe Hitchcock's coming in and establishing a strong defensive structure will help Talbot be an NHL goalie and provide a better platform for McDavid to have success.

That Hitchcock is only there short-term may indicate that Chiarelli wants new input on the dressing room dynamics and will make decisions based on that.

Finally: consider that MB pushed hard to get Lucic's services and failed only because that gorilla could not imagine himself in the CH. Just think about that. :blink:

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's rare that an assistant coach would leave to take an opportunity midseason.  Teams usually don't give permission to interview in those situations.

Yeah, I know. I have this thing where I feel Crawford is chronically overlooked, so I tend to bring him up whenever coaching vacancies arise. Used to hear him regularly on the radio and liked his insights. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic