2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Question. Eric Engels stated in his recent article that he thought Montreal had one of, not the top one, but one of the deepest pools of young drafted talent among NHL teams.

He listed Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Josh Brook, Cale Fleury, Cayden Primeau and Nick Suzuki.

I'm interested in what you think. Agree or disagree with his assessment? Are our prospects that good? 

Likely above average.

Kotkaniemi-Suzuki should be locks for solid NHL career's, rest who knows.

Poehling not a big scorer but likely be a checking centre in NHL, Brook is playing vs teenagers, which is miles away from playing defense in NHL.

Fleury-Primeau are works in progress and give them <50% chance.

Finns-Swedes not a clue?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Finns-Swedes not a clue?

Ikonen, Ylonen and Oloffson are all yet to finish a season in their national pro leagues, and none have made an immediate impact the way Kotkaniemi and Laine did. Not struggling but definitely not slam-dunk guarantees for NHL success yet. We'll know more by springtime, though.

Will be cool to likely see several of them at world juniors in a few weeks. Like Poehling, who i think will stand out. Will Primeau make USA? Brook & Suzuki should both be playing.

Ikonen, Ylonen, Olofsson?

If Habs keep tanking through December, might they farm out Kotkaniemi to Finland?

Any ideas on whether leafs player Nylander signs by tomorrow or sits the year?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Ikonen, Ylonen, Olofsson?

Ylonen and Olofsson both played in the Four Nations tournament this week (three assists in three games for Ylonen) so I think they are very likely. Ikonen is recovering from knee surgery, though, and may not be ready in time (he played in WJC last year).

53 minutes ago, DON said:

Any ideas on whether leafs player Nylander signs by tomorrow or sits the year?

I think that all depends on his dad, who has a bit of a track record on this kind of stuff. I won't be surprised if he sits out the year.

Yes, looking forward to the WJC!

On 06/11/2018 at 1:49 PM, Commandant said:

If they are Under 20 and play in the CHL, then they can only be signed during the summer (or in training camp).  Once they go back to their junior team, they re-enter the draft. 

I see you ranked him at 28. Brett leason. I wonder if some of his success is due to being so much bigger than most opponents. 

12 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I see you ranked him at 28. Brett leason. I wonder if some of his success is due to being so much bigger than most opponents. 

That can happen. Guys can have junior success due to size, but not to this level where he is at nearly 1 goal per game and 2 pts per game.  The numbers being off the charts indicate its more than just being big

Compare his numbers to Mike McCarron's 19 year old season and Leason is doing like 2x as much.  

There is more there IMO

That said I haven't seen all the Euros yet so 28th today is unlikely to be a first rounder in my ranks once i see the WJC, five nations, U-18, etc,,,

12 hours ago, DON said:

Habs are basically in 19th place now.

Habs tied for 29th on the PP with Nashville, both at 14.4%

Habs 14 on the PK, respectable at least.

The league is crazy even these days. Habs are in 19th but only two wins away from the Ducks in 10th. Chicago, in 29th, is only six points away from a wildcard spot.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

The league is crazy even these days. Habs are in 19th but only two wins away from the Ducks in 10th. Chicago, in 29th, is only six points away from a wildcard spot.

Sorry to say again, there are where they are - 19th, with Pens just behind them with game in hand.

And your argument goes both ways( see as 1/2 full or 1/2 empty)...lose couple more in a row and could be in the 20s. The Habs have played well in numerous losses, but I think lost because they just dont have that good a team or much depth (several guys are just snake-bitten for goals doesnt help). Hopefully with Weber and Byron back can turn things around, but i have my doubts.

(e.g. Habs defense has 40pts total, which must be almost bottom of league)

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guess there's no deal to be swung with the Leafs for Nylander, huh? Too bad, I really like that kid.

Montreal is one of the few teams with the cap space this year to pull it off (since the AAV for this season is going to be significantly inflated) but I don't think the two sides would line up well for a trade.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think the two sides would line up well for a trade.

Habs seem to have one glaring hole now (with centres playing OK), need a top four LH d-man...or 2.

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Montreal is one of the few teams with the cap space this year to pull it off (since the AAV for this season is going to be significantly inflated) but I don't think the two sides would line up well for a trade.

The only thing I can think of would be something to do with Jeff Petry to help the right side of their back end and some sort of cap dump coming along with Nylander so they can sign their big guns next year. Habs have Weber, Juulsen and Brook for RHD lined up moving forward and Nylander would look great in the top 6

16 minutes ago, illWill said:

The only thing I can think of would be something to do with Jeff Petry to help the right side of their back end and some sort of cap dump coming along with Nylander so they can sign their big guns next year. Habs have Weber, Juulsen and Brook for RHD lined up moving forward and Nylander would look great in the top 6

I thought of Petry as well. His value is probably as high as it will ever be right now. Losing him would be catastrophic for this blueline in the short term. But it's supposed to be a "rebuilding" season, right? Maybe some sort of deal shipping Petry for Nylander (assuming the Leafs bite, which I doubt) would be a visionary play.

DON does have a point, though. Domi has put in 1/3 of a season producing like a legit #1C. He's 23. If we seriously expect Kotkaniemi to mature into a 60-point C - and you factor in Suzuki in the system - then maybe Nylander is redundant? Or do we look at Nylander, who has back-to-back 60 point seasons at age 22, as projecting to become a real star?

Another way to approach it is to say: add Nylander, turn C into a position of incredible depth for the Habs. With him on board we'd be one of the very top teams in the NHL at that position. Then, as Special K develops, look to flip one of Kotkaniemi, Domi, or Nylander for an impact D if necessary.  Basically, hoard impact C and let other teams come crawling to us. And remember, you can always play a C at W if necessary.

34 minutes ago, illWill said:

It will be interesting to see if Arizona throws an offer sheet at Mathews next year. 

Sportsnet had entertained the idea too. 

Home town boy, would be the huge face of that franchise,  gigantic marketing scheme.

Highly unlikely, and T.O will probably matching anything, but who knows. 

15 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

It will be interesting to see if Arizona throws an offer sheet at Mathews next year. 

Sportsnet had entertained the idea too. 

Home town boy, would be the huge face of that franchise,  gigantic marketing scheme.

Highly unlikely, and T.O will probably matching anything, but who knows. 

Hey, anything that kneecaps the Leafs is a scenario well worth savouring, even if it never comes to pass. Certainly this would be a no-brainer for Arizona.

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

I'd love to see it happen 

Wouldn't it be great to see the Leafs' first true contender since 1993 - carefully developed and nurtured, done the proper way - blown up and agonizingly destroyed, much as the Gainey rebuild was, or the 2013-16 Habs were? Couldn't happen to a more deserving organization.

Nylander signs just minutes before the deadline.  It's a six-year deal with a face value of $45 million.  Based on the structure of the deal and the fact he's missed nearly two months, he'll actually receive $41.77 million for a Year 2-6 cap hit of $6.969 million.  His cap hit for this season will be $10.2 million (which is why a trade was never a realistic possibility).

8 hours ago, DON said:

And your argument goes both ways( see as 1/2 full or 1/2 empty)...lose couple more in a row and could be in the 20s.

I actually wasn’t making an argument at all, just observing how tight the standings are. :)

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Nylander signs just minutes before the deadline.  It's a six-year deal with a face value of $45 million.  Based on the structure of the deal and the fact he's missed nearly two months, he'll actually receive $41.77 million for a Year 2-6 cap hit of $6.969 million.  His cap hit for this season will be $10.2 million (which is why a trade was never a realistic possibility).

7 million for 20 goals. 16 million for matthews and 9 for marner?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic