Jump to content

2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DON said:

Petry is 31, but also is on a career year pace, he is signed for this year and 2 more, but also has NMC and 15 team no trade clause. But, Weber is #1 RH d-man and that wont change soon and we all hope Juulsen can become a solid #2 RH d...but would he be able to play 18-20minutes/game if Petry was dealt and then who would fill Petry's offensive role?

I do not know to which team a Petry trade could be traded, but if the right LD was available:

 

Brook or Juulsen could replace Petry's offensive role. 

Mete/Kulak/Reilly would fight for the remaining LDs spots. 

With Romanov coming soon.

 

In the short-term (e.g. this year's playoffs) the CH may take a step back on D, but by trading Petry it would build a strong D for years to come.

 

Just a though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s unfair to expect Juulsen and Brook to be able to step in and fill Petry’s shoes. He has slowly become an integral part of this Habs defence and dare I say apart of the core that could be contending in the next few years.

 

I understand getting the max deal from Petry now that he’s playing really good but those kids won’t be able to step in to what Petry is doing for the next 3-4 years, it would be a shame to trade him away now that he’s playing like a borderline #1 Dman, especially when the future looks so bright not only in the distant future but right now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

I think it’s unfair to expect Juulsen and Brook to be able to step in and fill Petry’s shoes. He has slowly become an integral part of this Habs defence and dare I say apart of the core that could be contending in the next few years.

 

I understand getting the max deal from Petry now that he’s playing really good but those kids won’t be able to step in to what Petry is doing for the next 3-4 years, it would be a shame to trade him away now that he’s playing like a borderline #1 Dman, especially when the future looks so bright not only in the distant future but right now!

 

Petry has played really well for going on two years. It's as though he was a very slow developer who only fully rounded into form at age 30. 

 

I'm here to sing his praises. He has become an absolutely excellent all-around defender, a legit impact #2 guy. He's basically how this team stayed afloat during Weber's absence. I would never even dream of trading such an asset, and I'll be shocked if Bergevin does that.

 

Except... he's 31. Weber is 33. The gap between the excellence of those guys and everyone else on the blueline is ridiculous. Like I've said before, there may be a structural problem with the Habs' organization in that we're a young team that relies on a middle-aged/borderline-old duo on the back end (not to mention a 31-year-old G with weird health issues). All that youth may be coming into its own just as that duo starts its decline. The really visionary thing to do would be to try to flip Petry for a LD prospect with top-pairing potential (if possible). But it won't happen because without Petry this blueline is in trouble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that there will be structural problems with Habs in a few years.  I think this is why it's important to stick to the rebuild and not let the current wild card spot fool this organization into thinking that it is better than what it is.  We've seen this before with other rebuilding teams.  They squeak into the playoffs one year and everybody thinks it's progress and it's time to try and speed up the rebuild.  Then the next year, they miss the playoffs in a big way.  I remember this happening to both Colorado and New Jersey not so long ago.  

 

I don' think that Habs should be desperate to move any veterans with term, but if there is a good offer on the table that makes the team better a few years from now and for a while after that, they should be strongly considering it.  My opinion is to build around the "new core" (Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, Mete, Juulsen) and not worry about the old core (Price, Petry, Weber).  That's just me though, I've always been a strong believer in rebuilds through strong drafting and development.  I want the Habs to build a Chicago/Pittsburgh type team that can win several Cups in a decade long period of contention as opposed to a team that might win one Cup in a 4-5 year window and then back to the drawing board.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

So if Ottawa win the draft lottery, Colorado will get Hughes? 

Aves have Sens 1st round pick after Sens opted for keeping it last year and picking 4th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the retirement of Josh Gorges. A real blood-and-guts Hab, albeit one who was probably over-used relative to his skill set - hats off to him for carving out a fine career against long odds. I really appreciate the fact that he singled out the Canadiens in his statements to the media, saying that it was a 'different feeling' from playing for the Sharks or Sabres and how much it meant to wear the CH. Everyone says that, but when a guy goes out of his way to say it when he's retiring and no longer needs to sing from the PR playbook, it's from the heart. I sometimes wonder whether the :habslogo: remains anything special after 30 years of failure and mediocrity. But some kind of mystique still survives, clearly...at least to heart and soul guys like Gorges.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the retirement of Josh Gorges. A real blood-and-guts Hab, albeit one who was probably over-used relative to his skill set - hats off to him for carving out a fine career against long odds. I really appreciate the fact that he singled out the Canadiens in his statements to the media, saying that it was a 'different feeling' from playing for the Sharks or Sabres and how much it meant to wear the CH. Everyone says that, but when a guy goes out of his way to say it when he's retiring and no longer needs to sing from the PR playbook, it's from the heart. I sometimes wonder whether the :habslogo: remains anything special after 30 years of failure and mediocrity. But some kind of mystique still survives, clearly...at least to heart and soul guys like Gorges.

 

Retire his # just for blocking a trade to the Leafs. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A breakdown of the strength of schedule for each East team through March (via TSN):

 

travis-yost.jpg

(Example: an “Opp. Quality” of 53.0 would indicate an average opponent who has carried 53 per cent of the expected goals through the first half of the season, which would indicate Stanley Cup-calibre competition.)

 

Based on that, there's certainly reason for optimism that Buffalo is going to continue to fall back which bodes well for Montreal's playoff chances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good ole Joshy, always left everything on the ice.  It probably broke his heart when Bergy dealt him.  Remember how he was basically Gallagher's dad/big brother for his first season?  I guess Weber or Gally could fill that role for some young player, but it's hard to imagine it happening again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Neech said:

Good ole Joshy, always left everything on the ice.  It probably broke his heart when Bergy dealt him.  Remember how he was basically Gallagher's dad/big brother for his first season?  I guess Weber or Gally could fill that role for some young player, but it's hard to imagine it happening again. 

 

Why so hard to imagine? Isn't it pretty normal for a veteran to take a rookie under his wing? I remember Gill doing it for Subban as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

Minnesota got FLEECED big time. 

That seems to be the popular take. Why might MInni do it then? Off-ice stuff, contract negotiations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Great to see Islanders doing so well, losing Tavares for nothing i thought would sink them, for this year anyways.

 

 

 

It's unlikely to hold but if the playoffs were to start right now, the Habs are matched up with the Islanders in the first round.  I'd be okay with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

It's unlikely to hold but if the playoffs were to start right now, the Habs are matched up with the Islanders in the first round.  I'd be okay with that.

 

We definitely want that first wildcard to play the Metro.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • dlbalr unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...