2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

On 1/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Habopotamus said:

Why would they let him sign that goalie, right before firing him. That is going to be another mistake

I expect that as GM he had full authority to sign a player contract so no one needed to approve it.

That's a pretty good move by the Leafs.  Muzzin's a legit top four on a pretty good contract for another year after this one and all it costs is a late first and a couple of second-tier prospects.  I thought the Kings would get more if they were moving him this early.

Disappointing that the Leafs are addressing their area of weakness without giving up very much on paper.  I still maintain that we want no part of them or Tampa in the playoffs (and it'll probably be that way for years to come). 

21 minutes ago, Neech said:

Disappointing that the Leafs are addressing their area of weakness without giving up very much on paper.  I still maintain that we want no part of them or Tampa in the playoffs (and it'll probably be that way for years to come). 

We took out Pittsburgh and Washington in the same playoff year..... If Price  stays hot and we get our power play going we can upset some top playoff teams.

If we could land a top LD I would give up a 1st and 2nd to get it but only if they're under contract I dont want no UFA's.

6 hours ago, Metallica said:

We took out Pittsburgh and Washington in the same playoff year..... If Price  stays hot and we get our power play going we can upset some top playoff teams.

If we get what going? That's a big if!

48 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If we get what going? That's a big if!

Its not a big if. we need a puck moving defensemen on the LD that can QB the power play. Thats why I am saying if we have to give up a 1st and 2nd and a prospect I would do it. But only for a young guy under contract not a UFA.

Here we go again. 'Hey, the Habs will be able to have an outside chance against the heavy duty contenders if all goes just right, like it did on 2010.' 

When will the Habs THEMSELVES become heavy duty contenders?

*Crickets*

• Like 1

Something's gotta give in Anaheim.  They're about to lose badly again as they're down 5-1 in Toronto in the 3rd.  They're going to be an ornery bunch tomorrow in Montreal.  At some point though, a coaching change or a big trade is going to be on the horizon.  (Speaking of which, Bergevin is once again scouting the Ducks in person tonight...)

LH d-men; Lindholm, Fowler, Pettersson, Larsson I assume Begevin is eyeing up? Which of these would Ducks be willing to part with and also would be a fit on Habs?

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Leafs sign Matthews to a pretty reasonable number, $11.6M per season.  I hate how competent their management seems to be.  Have to hope for devastating bad luck to befall them. 

That's a reasonable cap hit.  Thei will be negotiating when he's 26 again though.  

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

That's a reasonable cap hit.  Thei will be negotiating when he's 26 again though.  

I think it's on the high side, to be honest.  They only get one UFA year out of that and for that, it's still the second-richest deal in the league in terms of AAV.  For only getting one extra year of control, I thought it was going to be between $10.5-11 million.  I also thought Toronto overpaid for Nylander so maybe Dubas isn't the master that some Toronto fans make him out to be.

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think it's on the high side, to be honest.  They only get one UFA year out of that and for that, it's still the second-richest deal in the league in terms of AAV.  For only getting one extra year of control, I thought it was going to be between $10.5-11 million.  I also thought Toronto overpaid for Nylander so maybe Dubas isn't the master that some Toronto fans make him out to be.

It will be insteresting to see how they manage their cap 11 for tavers, 11 for mattews, 10 for nylander, add 6 for marleau and 4 for kadri plus you add marner at around 11 and that's 52M on 6 forwards. 

10 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

It will be insteresting to see how they manage their cap 11 for tavers, 11 for mattews, 10 for nylander, add 6 for marleau and 4 for kadri plus you add marner at around 11 and that's 52M on 6 forwards. 

nylander is only 11 this season. he's 6.9 for the remainder of his contract. 

Marleau is only one more season (and is very tradeable on July 2nd after the Leafs pay his signing bonus on July 1st) if they really want to cut cap space next year. 

The interesting thing in Toronto will be how they improve that defence.  Jake Gardiner is likely as good as gone as a UFA and they aren't going to have the cap space to sign a top 4 D. 

Next season they will have Rielly and Muzzin (with Muzzin a UFA in 2020).  They are going to have to hope that guys like Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, etc... all grow into top 4 defence.

The really bad contract is the Zaitsev deal

On 2019-02-05 at 7:41 PM, Commandant said:

nylander is only 11 this season. he's 6.9 for the remainder of his contract. 

Marleau is only one more season (and is very tradeable on July 2nd after the Leafs pay his signing bonus on July 1st) if they really want to cut cap space next year. 

The interesting thing in Toronto will be how they improve that defence.  Jake Gardiner is likely as good as gone as a UFA and they aren't going to have the cap space to sign a top 4 D. 

Next season they will have Rielly and Muzzin (with Muzzin a UFA in 2020).  They are going to have to hope that guys like Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, etc... all grow into top 4 defence.

The really bad contract is the Zaitsev deal

They might have cap issues and a guy they might lose that would be a nice pick up would be johnsson 

On 2/6/2019 at 9:12 PM, dlbalr said:

Eugene Melnyk admitted last night that he expects Ottawa's rebuild to last another two years.  That's one way of trying to convince your top players to stick around - hey, we'll suck for at least two more years but we hope to be good after that.

As much as I don't like the senators, you have to feel for the fans, they traded the future for a player they may lose and will have nothing significant to show for Dushane.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic