Dear Bergevin I am man enough to admit I am sorry

Metallica

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

The D got worse when Armia and Byron were injured.  These are two of our four best defensive forwards (with Danault and Lehkonen), so it really shouldn't come as that much of a surprise. 

Getting these guys back will be a boost for a poor defensive unit.  Armia will be a while still, but it sounds like Byron is getting closer. 

Well, just to be a Scrooge about it: a team that dips significantly when Arnia and Byron are out of the lineup is, with all due respect to those guys, not deep enough. Yes, the Weber injury is a genuine structural problem, there's no denying that. But if the D collapses because a couple of non-core pieces are out, well, that's not too convincing. Injuries happen and good teams don't look like dogsh*t when they do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, just to be a Scrooge about it: a team that dips significantly when Arnia and Byron are out of the lineup is, with all due respect to those guys, not deep enough. Yes, the Weber injury is a genuine structural problem, there's no denying that. But if the D collapses because a couple of non-core pieces are out, well, that's not too convincing. Injuries happen and good teams don't loom like dogsh*t when they do.

We all knew before the season that the D was dogshit, especially without Weber

The team was making due and covering the holes for a bit due to strong play from the forwards as well

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

We all knew before the season that the D was dogshit, especially without Weber

Yes. So even with the recent struggles in our own end, I consider the current total of 27 points from 23 games to be decent.

Weber is on his way back, and both Price and Niemi have looked better recently. It's definitely looking like a much better season than I expected. As long as the kids don't run out of steam halfway through ...

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. So even with the recent struggles in our own end, I consider the current total of 27 points from 23 games to be decent.

Weber is on his way back, and both Price and Niemi have looked better recently. It's definitely looking like a much better season than I expected. As long as the kids don't run out of steam halfway through ...

sounds like a team playing just a bit better then 500 hockey. Not what most ppl on this site call "decent". I think "decent" is a team that is not a wild card into playoffs but that last bit is me, I won't speak for anyone else on that one

On 11/23/2018 at 9:14 PM, ehjay said:

sounds like a team playing just a bit better then 500 hockey. Not what most ppl on this site call "decent". I think "decent" is a team that is not a wild card into playoffs but that last bit is me, I won't speak for anyone else on that one

It's quite decent compared to the pre-season expectations -- at least for me, and I think some others here as well. We were expecting bottom of the barrel, and really they are playing about .500 (once you factor out the OT/SO bonus points) in spite of the injuries and the inconsistent goaltending.

In absolute terms, there is a long way to go, but for sure they are exceeding my expectations so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It's quite decent compared to the pre-season expectations -- at least for me, and I think some others here as well. We were expecting bottom of the barrel, and really they are playing about .500 (once you factor out the OT/SO bonus points) in spite of the injuries and the inconsistent goaltending.

In absolute terms, there is a long way to go, but for sure they are exceeding my expectations so far.

I expected a bubble team until Weber got hurt, when I downgraded my prediction.

So they are exceeding my expectations about how they'd do without Weber. But they're in line with my expectations prior to that.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I expected a bubble team until Weber got hurt, when I downgraded my prediction.

So they are exceeding my expectations about how they'd do without Weber. But they're in line with my expectations prior to that.

Right. So let's see what they can do with Weber. Can he make a real difference to today's dog's breakfast of a defence corps? We'll find out soon enough.

43 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Right. So let's see what they can do with Weber. Can he make a real difference to today's dog's breakfast of a defence corps? We'll find out soon enough.

Weber certainly should help. Whether it's enough to make us more than a bubble team, I dunno.

• Upvote 1

Id say any team between like 12th and 20th in the nhl standings is decent.  (More or less, can vary based on exact number of points)

Teams above that are good and above another threshold cup contenders.

Below that threshold teams are poor.

I don't see a big difference in quality between a team that barely makes and barely misses the playoffs. 2 or 3 more wins over 82 games is not a huge difference in quality and sometimes could even be getting breaks/bounces, injuries, or strength of schedule.  There isnt a real appreciable difference there in terms of saying what team is better positioned going forward.