The Impact of Shea Weber

illWill

With the impending return of "Dad", I wanted to discuss how important he is to this team as a franchise defenseman. I don't think it gets talked about enough how losing a clear cut #1 dman for a full calendar year would impact ANY team in the league, and the flack this team has received in the last year should take this into consideration. It's been so long that it is easy to forget that our Habs actually WON their division with a healthy Weber in 16-17, and didn't appear to be near the train wreck of a team that they were after his injury last December. So I decided to look into the team record with and without the services of the newly appointed Captain since he was acquired:

55-37-12  Montreal with Shea Weber in the lineup         

30-35-13  Montreal without Shea Weber in the lineup

Quite a set of contrasting numbers there. Yes there were other factors into play, but that is a decent sample size of which to hypothesize from. I think that his reinsertion into the lineup helps so many problems that this team is currently facing and has faced in the past. Want to improve your powerplay? How about adding the hardest clapper in the league from the point? There isn't anyone on the team right now that the opposition fears when shorthanded. The zone entry has been good, the movement has been good, but it is missing a bomb shot. Defensive zone coverage has been garbage so far, enter Shea "I invented defensive zone coverage" Weber. Okay, a bit of an exaggeration but he will certainly help stabilize whatever it is our current dmen are doing out there. When he slots into the lineup it will have a ripple effect and Petry suddenly is playing on the second pair, where he and the team will excel. Having a guy like Weber step in and play almost half the game at an elite level can only be described as a positive.

I won't get into the leadership aspect of it all, as some people don't believe in that. But on such a young team and based on quotes I've read from them, they certainly look up to Weber. I do think he will help with the already strong locker room and act like sort of a liaison between players and management. I just miss watching the damn guy play for us and can't wait for his return. 

:1gohabs:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

At this point, his return will feel like we just acquired him for future considerations. His impact will be notable on the fronts we are sorely lacking in right now, so I wholeheartedly feel as you do on the matter.

Similar to Markov when he played; goals against went down and goals for went up.

But he also will bring more leadership and some needed grit on the backend, so gotta help.

But still thin on backend, with basically only 2 top-4 d-men playing. Mete and Juulsen having some struggles this year, i like Oulette on 3rd pairing...better than Alzner thats for sure.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

The only question i have is how long it will take him to be Shea Weber after a year off.  I dont think we should expect him to be 100% right away.

The other factor is the possibility that, when the Big Name returns, other players who have been putting in extra effort unconsciously take their feet off the gas pedal a bit. It can be a double whammy - the returning player needing time to get up to form, and the other guys' performance slipping a notch. In the long run, the team is obviously better with Weber than without him, but the immediate effects of his return might not be as positive as everyone expects.

10 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

He doesn't need to be top 3 in the league. Just a bonafide #1. 

I think the top 3 want comes from 1 that shall not be named, that was traded for. He is a top 3 in many books (mine for sure) and wanting a player on this Team to be top 3 league wide is a wish for all on this Team, I hope, even if not possible :) 

Doubt 'everyone' expects the same, some seem to see alot as 1/2 empty; but, many others see as 100% positive and will be very pleased that #6 will be back on the ice.:clap:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

The only question i have is how long it will take him to be Shea Weber after a year off.  I dont think we should expect him to be 100% right away.

Agreed.  I figure at his age, it will take 3 or 4 weeks worth of games for him to get up to speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

I think if on one leg and blindfolded Weber is better than all Habs-d but Petry.

Weber at 70% is probably the Habs second best defenceman, i agree. 

That said, I still want to temper my own expectations of what differences he's going to make. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Weber at 70% is probably the Habs second best defenceman, i agree. 

That said, I still want to temper my own expectations of what differences he's going to make. 

Yes agree, he still has no 1st pairing partner yet like a Josi, so he cant be expected to do all the heavy lifting by himself.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-11-15 at 9:55 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The other factor is the possibility that, when the Big Name returns, other players who have been putting in extra effort unconsciously take their feet off the gas pedal a bit. It can be a double whammy - the returning player needing time to get up to form, and the other guys' performance slipping a notch. In the long run, the team is obviously better with Weber than without him, but the immediate effects of his return might not be as positive as everyone expects.

I was thinking the same thing. When Shea does return, there will be a period of time where the other players will take their feet off then gas!

• 4 weeks later...

Just gonna leave this beauty here. 

Weber has 3 goals, 2 assists, +5, 20 hits, and a 60.5% CF in the 6 games since returning. Not too bad for missing a full year with two different injuries. If this is him "slowing down", I'd hate to see him at full capacity.  

Dad is home

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Off topic but really not....

I remember the habs record with Markov and without was like night and day... I miss that general back there!

Yeah, the meltdown of 2009 and 2012 were all about the absence of Markov. Defencemen are hugely important and when you have one who transcends all the others, subtracting him can be catastrophic. Eventually we added Subban, so Markov no longer was the be-all and end-all, and Weber has been spelled off by the excellent Petry, so the team has held body and soul together in his absence. I really admire Nashville's blueline - that's the ideal, to my mind.

32 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Ellis is over rated personally and I’d rather have our 5-6 Dman then there’s as they are no better. 

Ekholm - subban - josi

Weber - Petry - nobody 

there  lies the problem

Josi trumps Weber, Subban trumps Petry, and Ekholm trumps pretty much anyone the Habs can get their hands on. 

5-6 d-men, should mean nothing if you have a solid d-corp. Their interchangeable players. Just like the 4th line. 

Did you read the whole post??

It was meant in no particular order but quote me when I say...

“there lies the problem”

and with that that said,

I would argue every coach in the entire NHL would take Weber over Josi.

and I really like Ekholm but Petry has out played him over the last 1 1/2 seasons without the benefit of playing with superior supporting cast/line mates!

And as stated we don’t even have a 3rd Dman to mention  to counter P.K. so...

there lies the problem!