Karl Alzner on waivers

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I mean, it’s the right move imo.

Question is, how was he ever signed to that deal in the first place? He should never have been an issue cause he should never have been signed 

It was because at the time Bergevin was desperate, and Alzner was at the time a top UFA Defense man. Desperate GM's usually over pay on July 1st.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Praising someone for admitting he was wrong in the first place. :huh:

Any praise of Bergevin should be tempered by the terrifying knowledge that if he had had his way, Alzner and Milan Lucic would both have been signed to multi-year, fat contracts two summers ago. Only Lucic's hatred of the CH saved us from that terrible fate. That was surely one of the most apocalyptically incompetent off-seasons by any GM in living memory.

That said, he made an addle-pated mistake and is now fixing it. Alzner will not longer be around to act as boat anchor. That's good news.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Any praise of Bergevin should be tempered by the terrifying knowledge that if he had had his way, Alzner and Milan Lucic would both have been signed to multi-year, fat contracts two summers ago. Only Lucic's hatred of the CH saved us from that terrible fate. That was surely one of the most apocalyptically incompetent off-seasons by any GM in living memory.

That said, he made an addle-pated mistake and is now fixing it. Alzner will not longer be around to act as boat anchor. That's good news.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Praising someone for admitting he was wrong in the first place. :huh:

Semin and Kassian worked out as well, until the season started. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This isn't a contract termination.  He'll still be on the books and with three years left, it's far from a guarantee he'll be bought out.  This could be another Brendan Smith situation (waived last year by the Rangers, cleared and went to the minors, and wasn't bought out as he still had three years left on his deal).

15 minutes ago, Metallica said:

You would think in the next CBA the PA will fight this and try and take it out of the next deal. Its kind of unfair to do that.

How could they try to take this out?  This is literally a case of 'team places an underachieving veteran player on waivers'.  They can't take out waivers for demotion in the CBA and if you try to slap a qualifier on there to say no player making x amount in salary can be waived, you run into a whole other set of issues. 

Anyway,  my guess is that the main issue will be much more important.

Well... If I was an owner,  I'd try to go the NFL way :  The end of guaranteed contracts.

33 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Anyway,  my guess is that the main issue will be much more important.

Well... If I was an owner,  I'd try to go the NFL way :  The end of guaranteed contracts.

Exactly... earn your money yearly!

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And 3 summers ago, everyone would of wanted Lucic on our team minus the bias hatred for bruins.

Also, if Gainey had his way he would of traded half the players on our team for a washed up LeCavalier...

hindsight is 20/20

52 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This isn't a contract termination.  He'll still be on the books and with three years left, it's far from a guarantee he'll be bought out.  This could be another Brendan Smith situation (waived last year by the Rangers, cleared and went to the minors, and wasn't bought out as he still had three years left on his deal).

How could they try to take this out?  This is literally a case of 'team places an underachieving veteran player on waivers'.  They can't take out waivers for demotion in the CBA and if you try to slap a qualifier on there to say no player making x amount in salary can be waived, you run into a whole other set of issues

Would he be underachieving if he was making 2mil  and not 4.6mil. Its not his fault he was given more money then what he is worth as a player.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

You would think in the next CBA the PA will fight this and try and take it out of the next deal. Its kind of unfair to do that.

I hope it happens more often. Waive non performers on fat contracts and keep them in the minors to flounder. I wish they had a system like the NFL. Guaranteed  money negotiated, but you can be cut ar any time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Would he be underachieving if he was making 2mil  and not 4.6mil. Its not his fault he was given more money then what he is worth as a player.

I don't believe that he'd be in the lineup if his contract was half of what it is now so yes, he'd still be underachieving.  He wasn't a healthy scratch 16 times this season because he makes $4.625 million, he was a healthy scratch because he wasn't good enough to beat out guys like Reilly and Ouellet.  That would still be the case if he made $2 million, $4.625 million, or $7 million.  If he was making $2 million, he'd have a better shot at being traded but they have a provision for that in the CBA already with the possibility of retaining salary.

54 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I hope it happens more often. Waive non performers on fat contracts and keep them in the minors to flounder. I wish they had a system like the NFL. Guaranteed  money negotiated, but you can be cut ar any time. 

I totally agree, I also like the way the NFL does it too. I would of just thought the PA would try and  put a end to it by now.

The reason I'll never trust Bergevin is that he thought Alzner could replace Markov.  A 12-point plug could do the job of a consistent top pair because of the usual nebulous good old boy hockey terms.  Hell, an aging, ailing Markov with a fraction of a single functioning knee would still probably be our #2 at this point.  Bergevin was a plug of a player and will always overvalue plugs as a GM.  This Alzner contract was a disaster from the start, and it'll take a new GM to give Markov the honour he deserves.  Cuke is right to bring up the Lucic attempt; it shows how disastrous Bergevin's fully realized vision would be.  

The Alzner deal looked bad from the get go, but it became a disaster with the youth movement in the NHL over past season...The real problem is that Alzner has not played terribly this year, the league has just passed him by...for MB, it was not seeing the forest through the trees two years ago when he made him the offer....Seems like he has woken up, but this one is gonna hurt for a while....

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

How could they try to take this out?  This is literally a case of 'team places an underachieving veteran player on waivers'.  They can't take out waivers for demotion in the CBA and if you try to slap a qualifier on there to say no player making x amount in salary can be waived, you run into a whole other set of issues. 

As long as the player is getting paid, there should be no 'labour rights' argument. No one is entitled to an NHL job.

I know that Alzner will still be on the books, but I couldn't care less about whether Molson is on the hook :) The point is that he will no longer be a boat anchor on the cap or on the blueline - which are things I *do* care about.

8 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Any chance of someone picking him up?

I mean its christmas soon and the habs need it. ?

I know weed is legalized now but I think you need to put the weed down if you're thinking theres a chance someone will pick him up. Why do I keep thinking of Vincent mcmahons theme song playing lol (you got no chance in hell) lol

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As long as the player is getting paid, there should be no 'labour rights' argument. No one is entitled to an NHL job.

I know that Alzner will still be on the books, but I couldn't care less about whether Molson is on the hook :) The point is that he will no longer be a boat anchor on the cap or on the blueline - which are things I *do* care about.

Someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we only bury around 925K, so Alzner will still be a 3.7M anchor till 2022.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

29 minutes ago, Neech said:

Someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we only bury around 925K, so Alzner will still be a 3.7M anchor till 2022.

$1.025M can be buried ($375K plus the league minimum salary).  That means Alzner's still on the books at $3.6M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

$1.025M can be buried ($375K plus the league minimum salary).  That means Alzner's still on the books at $3.6M.

Shoot, I hadn't realized that. D'OH!

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

i had mentioned this a way back. And Antichambre boys (i think was G. Latendresse) were saying having Alzner in minors might change mood of Team.

To justify Alzner there might be a good idea to kinda make him an Assist Coach on skates?

On 10/10/2018 at 2:07 PM, ehjay said:

you can go the W. Redden way but might not be ideal, still he would be close to MTL (for famely reasons and needs) and can act like coach on skates in Laval maybe, could justify paying high pay for double duty and pave way for after playing days, maybe, honestly idk I'm just spitting here :/