Scherbak on waivers, claimed by Los Angeles

dlbalr

Wow! Obviously Habs' management feels they've seen enough and don't believe in him. Oh well,  throw him on the enormous pile of "might have beens" who never were. There is a reason I'm generally skeptical of unproven young players, despite the often breathless enthusiasm of fans about so-and-so in the minors. Quite a few of them never hit.

15 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Never understood the hype over him.  Makes you wonder why fans take to certain players with no apparent reason.

Ha haaa, remember how Jan Bulis was a surefire star in the making? Or how Lars Eller was a #1C being irrationally held back by Habs coaching? The list goes on.

17 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Never understood the hype over him.  Makes you wonder why fans take to certain players with no apparent reason.

A skilled winger with size will usually catch the attention of a lot of fans.  Unfortunately for the Habs and Scherbak, he just hasn't really progressed enough so far.

This could be exactly what the doctor ordered. It would be very nice to see all NHL teams take a pass on him. This would really get him to think about his NHL future and what kind of commitment it will take to hang with the best in the world. No longer can he coast like he did in Everett and rely on merely his raw talent.

I just would have liked to see him get a few games in the NHL. I would be happily surprised if he isn’t claimed.

He will most likely get picked up by a team. I don't think he was given a real chance to play.  I am one of those fans that think he has potential, only time will tell what kind of player he will be. I recall being upset when they got rid of LeClair, not saying that Sherback will be another LeClair but the Habs should have given him a chance.  

45 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

He will most likely get picked up by a team. I don't think he was given a real chance to play.  I am one of those fans that think he has potential, only time will tell what kind of player he will be. I recall being upset when they got rid of LeClair, not saying that Sherback will be another LeClair but the Habs should have given him a chance.  

They did, he played 26gms last year with all of 2 goals.

And you have seen him this year in pre-season no doubt and i cant see who he would bump off the roster? Maybe if 2 forwards go down with injuries he may get called back, if still around.

2 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

It’s because he’s a first round Russian prospect! I even remember when he was drafted, one of TSN panel experts called him a cheap version of  Alex Ovechkin!! ( are you kiddy me) lol

4 hours ago, Chris said:

All Russians have been purged from the CJ team. Don't think any are left. 

Surprised they drafted a Russian, although MB and CJ will be gone by the time he is ready

We all said it from pre season that Scherbak would have a tough time under Julien. 

Say what you want about Scherbak, but he has played zero games with the Habs this year. That's a bit ridiculous 

Scherbak has (had?) all the pieces a young player should need to be successful in the NHL, but he was never able to put those pieces together and get to the NHL level, even with the extra effort that he put in.

I don't think this was a question of effort or attitude, or a question of CJ. So far Scherbak simply hasn't been able to demonstrate that he is an NHL-level player. Maybe another team can provide a different environment where he can make it happen. Maybe.

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Don't understand how deslauriers has never beem a healthy scratch but scherbak couldnt get a game and hudon is always in and out of the lineup.

Of course you do, you just don't want to say it:  a french grinder/banger is what CJ/MB have a special level of affection for, and will always get more opportunity than a euro like Scherbak or a little guy with a soft game like Hudon.

7 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Of course you do, you just don't want to say it:  a french grinder/banger is what CJ/MB have a special level of affection for, and will always get more opportunity than a euro like Scherbak or a little guy with a soft game like Hudon.

Considering hudon is also french i dont see how being french has anything to do with things.

The grinder/banger issue might be right.  In fact it probably is.  

However im not willing to say it has anything to do with the french aspect.

8 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I think that finally the CH has gotten to a point where they are not just plugging holes in the lineup but actually looking for specific types of players to complement their core. The 4th line is just that, an energy line that doesn't cost you games and can be physical. The top two lines are decent and will get better once Kotka and Suzuki find their spots there.

I think Scherbak and Hudon were slated for the third line and for Scherbak: he just could fill that role this year. I do not think it has to do with being rusian or "pure laine" quebecois.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Armia is back 

His been picked up by the Kings.

2 promising young prospects lost for nothing in Rose and Scherbak. Just goes to show you how bad our development program was. I think with the new coaching staff we hired our development of players will be much better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think that finally the CH has gotten to a point where they are not just plugging holes in the lineup but actually looking for specific types of players to complement their core. The 4th line is just that, an energy line that doesn't cost you games and can be physical. The top two lines are decent and will get better once Kotka and Suzuki find their spots there.

I think Scherbak and Hudon were slated for the third line and for Scherbak: he just could fill that role this year. I do not think it has to do with being rusian or "pure laine" quebecois.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Armia is back 

Good analysis. The D has more holes than Trump's prefrontal cortex, but up front the Habs now have an unexpectedly good core. Guys like Hudon and Scherbak, who are really not grinders, have to outperform quality guys in order to get top-9 minutes. As for Hudon, I remember reading in a couple of places after last season that Habs' management was excited about him. So I don't think it's bias. It really is that they want - not unreasonably - a bit of size and grit on the 4th line. So Hudon has to win a top-9 role or he sits out. Scherbak, they liked less than Hudon, so out he goes.

We'll see how Scherbak fares. But I doubt that he turns out to be Paul Byron 2.0. If he does then MB has to wear it.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

His been picked up by the Kings.

2 promising young prospects lost for nothing in Rose and Scherbak. Just goes to show you how bad our development program was. I think with the new coaching staff we hired our development of players will be much better.

Look, at their age now, if you can't establish yourself consistently as anything more than a marginal nhl player, you will be viewed and treated as a disposable asset by every team in the NHL. The only reason a team picks you up, is because you were free, and they are willing, for the low coast of free, to take on the 5% odds that you are in fact, a diamond in the rough. You didn't see a buffet line of NHL teams willing to fork over a 6th round pick in 2020 for them did you?

Not everyone is the next Jonathan Marchessault, so lets stop acting like we just let 2 promising players go, and accept that we had to let go of 2 players who didn't become the players anyone expected them to be, after this many years, when many others here and around the league have. Do I suddenly think or even fear that De La Rose becomes a strong 3rd line player who can contribute 30+ points for years to come? Hell no. Do I think Scherbak is going to go to L.A and become the top 6 forward they were hoping for when they signed Kovalchuk? Nope.

+

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Link67 said:

Look, at their age now, if you can't establish yourself consistently as anything more than a marginal nhl player, you will be viewed and treated as a disposable asset by every team in the NHL. The only reason a team picks you up, is because you were free, and they are willing, for the low coast of free, to take on the 5% odds that you are in fact, a diamond in the rough. You didn't see a buffet line of NHL teams willing to fork over a 6th round pick in 2020 for them did you?

Not everyone is the next Jonathan Marchessault, so lets stop acting like we just let 2 promising players go, and accept that we had to let go of 2 players who didn't become the players anyone expected them to be, after this many years, when many others here and around the league have. Do I suddenly think or even fear that De La Rose becomes a strong 3rd line player who can contribute 30+ points for years to come? Hell no. Do I think Scherbak is going to go to L.A and become the top 6 forward they were hoping for when they signed Kovalchuk? Nope.

+

People were terrified that we had 'wasted' Tinordi too. I'm not that worried.

• dlbalr changed the title to Scherbak on waivers, claimed by Los Angeles