Dec. 14/15, Syracuse vs Laval

dlbalr

The Rocket (10-14-3) will be in tough to extend their winning streak as they host the Crunch (14-6-2) for a pair of games.  Syracuse has been the top team in the league over the past few weeks and have allowed the fewest goals in the conference.  Considering Laval has the lowest goals per game average in the conference, this is a tad concerning.

Syracuse.png

(Lines are based on last game's +/- data and some guesses)

Archambault - Conacher - Andreoff

Katchouk - Verhaeghe - Barre-Boulet

Yan - Colton - Volkov

Bourke - Somppi - Raddysh

Gaunce - Masin

Foote - Valleau

Labrie - Thomas

Ingram

Laval.png

(Lines are from last game with some guesses as Vejdemo is set to return)

Belzile - McCarron - Alain

Jevpalovs - Evans - Froese

Shinkaruk - Vejdemo - Grenier
Pezzetta - Audette - Waked

Mete - Alzner

Ouellet - Lernout

Despres - Lamarche

McNiven

Puck drop is at 7:30 PM EST on Friday and 3:00 PM EST on Saturday.  91.9 Sports has the coverage in French for both games while TSN 690 has Friday's game in English.

8 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

How has Alain been looking. I've  been rooting for him 

He's been decent for a first year pro.  He's got a long way in front of him and developing to do, but he has some skills including strong hockey sense. 

37 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

It's nice to have a couple players that have some hope down there 

The issue is that its marginal talent.  I don't see any future top 6 forwards.  Maybe Evans is a #3 c, maybe Vejdemo is a #4, maybe mete is a #4 D, maybe Fleury is a #4 D, maybe Lindgren is a backup goalie. 

The best prospects (Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Primeau, Ylonen, Romanov, Olofsson, Ikonen, etc...) are all in junior or europe. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The issue is that its marginal talent.  I don't see any future top 6 forwards.  Maybe Evans is a #3 c, maybe Vejdemo is a #4, maybe mete is a #4 D, maybe Fleury is a #4 D, maybe Lindgren is a backup goalie. 

The best prospects (Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Primeau, Ylonen, Romanov, Olofsson, Ikonen, etc...) are all in junior or europe. 

What would you say Ikonen's ceiling is 

52 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

What would you say Ikonen's ceiling is 

Ikonen's ceiling is a first line winger or second line centre. 

That said, I don't know if he will reach that ceiling. In fact I think its unlikely he does.  But thats the ceiling if all goes well. 

He was disappointing last year (bad first half, good second half last season), and has been injured all this season, so the obstacles in front of him are starting to build up. He's got a ton of talent, but I want to see him on the ice and using it. He needs to play to let his game grow. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ikonen's ceiling is a first line winger or second line centre. 

That said, I don't know if he will reach that ceiling. In fact I think its unlikely he does.  But thats the ceiling if all goes well. 

He was disappointing last year (bad first half, good second half last season), and has been injured all this season, so the obstacles in front of him are starting to build up. He's got a ton of talent, but I want to see him on the ice and using it. He needs to play to let his game grow. 

That sounds a bit like what happened to Scherbak. Doesn't it?

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That sounds a bit like what happened to Scherbak. Doesn't it?

No two players are exactly alike. 

No two injuries or recoveries are exactly alike. 

He's 19, there is plenty of time to get back on track.  

I mean it also sounds a lot like where Josh Brook was in December 2017, and look at him now. 

The problem with Laval's power play is that they don't have the personnel to be all that good.  Even with the d-men all getting sent down, none of them are true PP quarterbacks and it's not like there's much firepower up front.  I don't see that percentage getting too much better anytime soon.

Jevpalovs and Lernout picked up goals in the third as Laval held on for an impressive 4-0 win.  :1banana:  Quite a few firsts in this one - Lernout's first goal of the season, Sklenicka's first career AHL assist, Martineau's first career AHL point, and Marcoux's first pro shutout (he made 12 saves in total).

https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1018745