First Goal for Mete

zumpano21

The same stuff was going on with Petry. He wasn't being activated enough. He would get the puck and try to make a stretch pass, with his feet cemented to the ice. They weren't using his skating. 

It's a bit different for Mete, as I know he's a young guy, but they're just driving this defense first mentality into him. Which I get, because he is a d-man, but this kid needs to pinch like CRAZY. Especially when he's paired with Weber. 

I remember Don Cherry saying Mete was one of the best skating players he'd ever seen come out of the GTA. Huge compliment.

I can understand they're trying to get Mete to play the game at both ends of the ice, but I can also tell by watching him he's not even thinking about offense. He's scared to make a mistake now. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

That gets a downvote? 

I dont like cherry either... but ill give an upvote because i felt that overall the post made some excellent points about him needing to join the rush and play a bit more offense (which hes done since coming back from the ahl)... it was a good post overall, so ill put it back up

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I dont like cherry either... but ill give an upvote because i felt that overall the post made some excellent points about him needing to join the rush and play a bit more offense (which hes done since coming back from the ahl)... it was a good post overall, so ill put it back up

I don't mind about upvote and downvote, but I'll try something here : get a downvote from Brian.

!!!!!!!!!!!! FREE  PTG !!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You think Mete is playing scared?

You want to give credence to the anything Cherry says...what next we start quotin NBCs Milbury, Glen Healy or NESNs Edwards?

You agree, and you also can tell Mete isnt even thinking about offense (foolishness)?...when he is the worst Hab of all time in scoring from start of career? He has a huge Ape on his back and likely he feels it growing every day and wants nothing more than scoring "A' goal sometime.

But, he also likely knows his defence has to be better and would start by learning how to deal with (out-think) bigger players in front of net .

53 minutes ago, DON said:

You think Mete is playing scared?

You want to give credence to the anything Cherry says...what next we start quotin NBCs Milbury, Glen Healy or NESNs Edwards?

You agree, and you also can tell Mete isnt even thinking about offense (foolishness)?...when he is the worst Hab of all time in scoring from start of career? He has a huge Ape on his back and likely he feels it growing every day and wants nothing more than scoring "A' goal sometime.

But, he also likely knows his defence has to be better and would start by learning how to deal with (out-think) bigger players in front of net .

If the thing they say makes sense then we should feel free to quote anybody.

As for Don Cherry specifically, ya he is behind the times on facepunching, European players, and generally speaking cogent sentences. 

He also watches a shit ton of junior hockey. If he says "I think __________ is one of the best players at __________" then it actually carries some weight. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Even if Mete scores on his very next shot, his shooting percentage will still be 1.4%. That is not even counting the shots that went just wide or hit the post. It is absurd at this point

I think his shot has improved, couldn't get any worse I suppose, and he is way way overdue to bounce one in off something.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

If the thing they say makes sense then we should feel free to quote anybody.

As for Don Cherry specifically, ya he is behind the times on facepunching, European players, and generally speaking cogent sentences. 

He also watches a shit ton of junior hockey. If he says "I think __________ is one of the best players at __________" then it actually carries some weight. 

He has been a swelled head blowhard for decades, and sorry what he says carries no weight with me and I haven't watched his clown routine for years.

Pierre McGuire watches more hockey (not just around Toronto) but would you want him as GM, AGM or making calls on who to draft? No and neither does 31 owners. Is he an insider, yes and thus given the access he job allows, I would give him credit for some information he does have in that regard and I have quoted him once in a while. 

TSN guys won't stop talking about how ridiculous it is that Mete hasn't scored yet. 

(I'll risk the downvote, since I don't know if the TSN analysts have been properly vetted by DON as acceptable people to mention.) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

One of my favourite Cherryisms is how he still harps on defenders putting their sticks in the way of shots, a play that happens without incident dozens of times per game, but once in a while a deflection will go in, and Don will be there to show us the replay of it.

As for Mete, he's arguably still ahead of schedule at his age for his first NHL game, so I'll give him a pass on not scoring, especially with the short leash Julien has him on.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Lol, thanks buddy.

I'm not a Don Cherry fan either, but when he gives a complement like that to a kid out of the GTA, it holds some weight.

I have no idea how to a coach a kid like Mete, but I'd like to see him chase a dump in a little more . Hell, we saw Kulak get the green light every other shift. 

32 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I have no idea how to a coach a kid like Mete, but I'd like to see him chase a dump in a little more . Hell, we saw Kulak get the green light every other shift. 

I remember posting some time last season something like, "When Mete realizes he's the most talented player on the team he's gonna do great things."

It's 100% between the ears with this kid. Last year it was lacking confidence to shoot. Currently it's lacking confidence to shoot to score. 

I truly believe that the moment he scores goal #1 he's gonna skyrocket.

I’m not sure about skyrocket, but if Phil Danault can go on a hot streak then so can Mete

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I remember posting some time last season something like, "When Mete realizes he's the most talented player on the team he's gonna do great things."

It's 100% between the ears with this kid. Last year it was lacking confidence to shoot. Currently it's lacking confidence to shoot to score. 

I truly believe that the moment he scores goal #1 he's gonna skyrocket.

I feel the same way. 

8 hours ago, PMAC said:

I’m not sure about skyrocket, but if Phil Danault can go on a hot streak then so can Mete

I agree.

And at least Mete has as many goal this year as Sergachev.;)

Tied for 167th in shots for d-men (even Kulak has more), <1shot/gm, top d-men 3+shots/gm.

Mete leads the Habs-d with a +8

Mete still has only played 78gms, so who knows if his offense will pick up much.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Mete, he is Ann exciting player that can move the puck and is effective defending

But he is not a top-2

I am cheering for him to score his first goal, but probably Ina lower pairing